1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whats going on in this video?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Blakewdm, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008

Something seems off

2. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    I think, for starters, that he's miming on the bass for the purposes of the video. The music was recorded separately, and so they're a little out of synch. It also sounds like there are some, lets say glitches, or really crazy edits happening. Along with some heavy handed processing.

EDIT: After a second listen, I'm pretty comfortable saying that this is a HEAVILY comped performance.

3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

^^^ Sounds right to me, along with auto-correct.

4. You've got to give the guy a lot of credit for all the hard work in creating the version then patching together some very impressive playing. Don't be too hard on him, please. Most fine recordings of world famous artists and orchestras are the result of patching together many takes. Look at the positives, not for the negatives.

Does anyone know more about the artist, Lev Wexler?

Respectfully, DP

5. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Wow, parts of it almost sound as if they were performed on a keyboard with a double bass sample.

- Steve

6. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

You-tube showed me another performance from the same player, and I have to say that it also smacks of significant after editing. Here's the link I'm afraid that I have to disagree with David Potts because these clips sound like fraud to me, with extensive editing, liberal auto correct, etc, and that does a real disservice to the few bassists alive today who actually play nearly as good, namely John Clayton, Lynn Seaton, Christophe Luty, among them. I think this vid is a put-on. Whether it's a challenge to see if we can see it for what it is, or an intentional fraud, I can't say.

7. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Really like the playing. But I think it has been put through some auto tune device or something. Fingerings match the video but it sounds artificial especially in the fast parts.

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Wow you guys are a tough room. Sure, there are definitely some sync issues with the video, but it's still a really nice piece of music.

Sent from my iPad using TalkBass

9. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    It's not about the sync issues. It's about the auto tune/pitch correction stuff...

10. It's hard for me to have a strong opinion about these things in general. On the one hand, there's something very special about "live" or un-edited recordings, and it's nice to hear honest representations of good musicians. On the other hand, the recording industry has become so reliant on clever editing that consumers have come to expect a flawless product, even from bassists. It's hard to escape the feeling that everybody else is doing it, and I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage.

The video in question fails in a few ways. Editing tricks get much more complicated when you're adding visuals, and clearly whoever edited this video was an amateur. There's a reason why most pop music videos seem to switch angles or scenes every few seconds. If you insist on doing a straight shot, you can't super-impose an entirely different recording. "Lip-synching" is nearly impossible on a bass -- it's too obvious when the sound doesn't match.

The other problem is the very obvious auto-tune. If you need to record it one note at a time, fine. But you can't just record it badly and expect a computer to fix it. The technology isn't nearly good enough yet to make it sound right.

11. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I am glad the technology is not that far (yet). So we still need good musicians to play. However with vocals the technology is quit far already. Lots of times on professional recordings you won't hear when it's auto tuned. I think most (if not all) major commercial studio productions use it on vocals. Sometimes also on live performances of famous singers. I hate this.

12. This man is more of an actor than a musician to me, I guess you have to judge him accordingly.

EDIT on the other hand, he seems old enough to not even knowing what the auto-tune is. This may be some guy playing for the whole life in symphony orchestra and it's perfectly all right for him to play a bit out, then some of his student comes up and goes hey, I'm gonna make these records sound even better etc

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  13. No one has come with an answer for "Who is Lev Wexler?" I haven't had time to look for other clips of "live" performances yet. Have any of you analysed whether the notes are actually playable where his left hand falls, eg the pizzicato harmonics of the accompanying lower part? On close listening I think I do hear synthesized passages that have used sampled sounds. Even if this is faked it is still fun to listen to?

DP

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014