1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's on for your "Clean" sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Sep 23, 2008.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    This applies to all those people whose "Clean" sound still contains effects and I mean much more than compression.

My live clean tone is nothing too exciting but always using a Pulp Mill but its pushing the tubes in my pre a bit and I've also got a crap load of EQ in the chain :D.

But my clean tone in the studio is a Cream Pie run into a 60% blended clean huckleberry and I'm thinking of adding something like a Linden for EQ to it to get a bit more of an amp response.

I also use to run a Barber LTD all the time for clean then I got a Xotic BB Bass Preamp again always on both with an M-80 then I switched to a Blended huck and used my amps eq now I use tube amps :D

So what are you guys using for your so called clean sounds

2. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    clean: a EHX bass metaphors... works nice, but my clean sound is hardly clean, I love the gain on my tubeamp and love the sound of tubes so...

3. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    My clean tone is always Submarine -> Boss LMB-3 -> a crap load of EQ'ing on my head. This will soon be augmented by an "always-on" overdrive pedal that I am still searching for. I have yet to find one that fits the bill for my tastes

4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    my clean tone is often "enhanced" with a bit of delay.

a lot of delay/echo is my "insane" (solo) effect. :)

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    My clean is barely clean.

I use a SWR 'mo bass. I use both the tube pre (with a sovtek 12ax7, monster gain btw!) on the head, drive at 2 (8 o'clock),with the tube level at about (between 6-7) 2 o'clock and a Sansamp programmable with the drive set at 10 o'clock and the blend at 12 o'clock.

6. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    xotic bb bass preamp into an mxr m80.

7. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    I run a Cream Pie on about 9 oclock most of the time.

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I can't afford to have pedals on my clean sound too...

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Either of my main basses set flat through my NeoPak into 2 4ohm Avatar b210's stacked vertically NeoPak has bass at 1:00, Mid at 2:00, Treble at about 10:00 most of the time.

Then for major tone changes I use my Line6 x3 live through the Neo's effects loop.

10. Bass -> Cream Pie -> Either Hjärt Müller Bass Drive or Polish Love on low gain -> IgorFX Impedance "buffer" -> Huckleberry -> M-80 -> Amp w/dbx 31 band graphic EQ.

11. Barge VB-jr with the blended loop as 3 different overdrives/distortions, polish love, proco turborat, sansamp (whichever ones I want on...) into a boss geb-7. The ultimate in shaping my overdrive tone...got the drives controls, the blend, the EQ...can turn the entire thing off if I want. Very rarely do I not have some overdrive on. Sounds amazing to me. It's funny to consider my tone before I got into drives, it sounds so much less...interesting? Less fitting for how I like to play anyways. But i have the versatility to do anything so, eh.

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Sansamp

My GK is set almost flat.

13. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    Hartke Bass VXL with some warm tube drive and EHX Knockout.

14. Less and less as I've gotten happier with my bass/amp. With my old intermediate stuff I run through a sansamp and later I use to run a ebs multicomp always on.

Now its just bass and amp for clean tone. Even then I have been EQ'ing less and less too. But I still love effects, just am happy with my clean tone atm.

15. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    My Hyperpak stays on 90% of the time, but I wouldn't call it a "clean sound."

16. Sometimes my compressor, if I'm doing some tap or slap BS.

17. VtBass at the start of my chain - always on, my optostomp's always on too, but doesnt have much of a noticably effect on my tone.

now ive got a Steel Leather, that seems to stay on most of the time too. (before the VTbass, to add to the VT's dynamic response)

18. With my band, my compressor is always on, as are my Boss NS-2 and my Aphex Bass Xciter (but set for a very moderate effect). My DigiTech Bad Monkey is almost an "always-on" for me too, but I do leave it off sometimes. Once my VT Bass gets here (hopefully this week, maybe next week) that will always be on as well.

For church, my Aphex is always on, and I use my Bad Monkey as a preamp, so that's on with the drive all the way down. Again, though, once my VT gets here, that will be on all the time.

19. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Slight boost in the high mids on the amp, decent boost in treble on the bass, no compression.

But I run my bass through 8 turned off pedals, can I still play?!

20. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Bass -> tuner -> amp