What's the Best Bass for Hyperpop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IamJohn, Jun 26, 2022.

1. IamJohn

IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Tbh, the only reason I'm making this thread is that the genre of Hyperpop has never been mentioned on this site (look it up, 0 results). Seeing as it is one of the newest genre's of music with growing popularity, it seems like a good idea to get TB to start thinking about how the bass guitar is and can be incorporated, starting with what gear to use.

For those of you who don't know, which is apparently everybody based on the search results;

"Hyperpop is a loosely-defined music movement and microgenre, characterized by a maximalist or exaggerated take on pop music"

Some of the bigger artists in the scene would be 100 Gecs, Bladee, SOPHIE (r.i.p), Charli XCX, and Slayyyter for reference.

Even though the genre is heavily steeped in electronic music, there's still a role for the bass. Recently 100 Gecs released the song Doritos and Fritos which contains a very prominent bass line.

So in classic Talkbass fashion, I'd like to begin by asking the question that will definitely be well received with an objective answer we all agree on; what's the best bass for Hyperpop? :)

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I hate to suggest it, but keyboards?
    (By the way, thanks for the nightmares that will surely follow!)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

It would seem "Hyperpop"is a playlist.
    Not a genre.

Beej, kevindahl, SlowpokeJoe and 11 others like this.
  4. There's not enough genres already? :wideyed:

5. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    It surprised the hell out of me, but I didn't hate that.

To answer the question, P bass with flats, of course.

6. Barry Vestal

Barry Vestal

Nov 24, 2015
    Iowa
    200-1.gif tenor.gif

bobyoung53, bignc, Nuage420 and 21 others like this.
  7. cashmoneywill

cashmoneywill

May 2, 2021
    P-bass for the most part, but I know some people/artists in the scene like midwxst use a vista musicmaster bass.

JRMK and IamJohn like this.
  8. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Hi,

I didn't know that existed, it's always good to listen to something new.

That sounds like a fusion between 80s and 90s computer games music with Devo. Sounds good.

9. IamJohn

IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Any reason you say P-bass, other than that it's the standard for most everything (including my bass collection)?

Killing Floor likes this.
  10. IamJohn

IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    No

Gabbs, Matt R., JES and 4 others like this.
  11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Well, that's about as far from Buddy Holly/Eddie Cochran as you can get, so... definitely not my cup of whatever. As for your perfectly reasonable question? Barring keyboard bass - which, IMO, would would work quite well - and would certainly be in keeping with the... genre? I'd say; probably whichever active 5-string bass makes your heart beat fast. Which one would that be? Only you can decide that. Besides, as someone who loves to play Buddy Holly - and any other R&R, Rockabilly, C&W, and Blues songs that are older than you are - on a passive 4 string bass? I really couldn't advise you...:whistle:

keithbroussard and IamJohn like this.
  12. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

13. IamJohn

IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Funny you say that. The origins of Hyperpop are tied to a guy named A.G. Cook who's collective PC music was influenced by just that.

14. IamJohn

IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    BatBasstard and gebass6 like this.
  15. IamJohn

IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Definitely a valid option that sounds great.

LadyLoveStingRay5 and gebass6 like this.
  16. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    As for the bass, I would say I would prioritize aesthetics and then worry about the tone.

Like these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  17. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    Interesting how we have a new subgenre. So that video sounded like a precision bass was used. Maybe a Yamaha attitude or something but definitely was split coils or something along those lines. It sounds to me like electronica using hipster basses. If I were going to be doing something like this style I'd want to be really out front in the music with my bass so I'd get a ballsy sounding Warwick thumb bass or something active and really go to town. Or something like a fretless Ibanez like Sean Malone played and really get interesting. Fretless stingray like Tony Levin would be cool. This sounds like a genre that you can do whatever you want with. Get a modern sounding bass and rip it. I'm not going to sit here and dog this stuff like I'm sure we're going to have but I'm just going to say that I'd get something super aggressive sounding and play the hell out of it.

18. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Reminds me of the video games I used to play when I was a kid.

And Devo. Definitely some Devo vibe, which is great!

19. IamJohn

IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Another great bass line is from Coconuts by Kim Petras. It's a pretty standard slap bass line, but it's good example of the idea exaggerated pop music and where a bass player might find a role. Ridiculous lyrics that are very self aware, but also very fun and catchy.

20. IamJohn

IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    That Tony Levin part makes a lot of sense. The boldness of every instrument in Sledgehammer is similar to how the instrumentation in Hyperpop works I think.

LadyLoveStingRay5, DJ Bebop and JRA like this.