1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whats the best Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by geegeedemocracy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Empire

2. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    My favourites are Star Wars and Return Of The Jedi. I was never as taken with Empire, though I prefer it to any of the subsequent films (and can see why people would list it as a favourite).

3. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I like the one where the ship turns into a giant maid and her vacuum sucks all the air from the planet.

4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

The first 3 shown to the public. They have stood the test of time.

All the others and the pointless Rogue One have been pretty horrid imo.

Rogue One might be one of the worst scripted poorly plotted shows I have ever seen. The score was even poorly done! The ONLY character you felt remotely drawn to was the Empire Droid. The rest were vapid or completely unnecessary. The main protagonist could be taken from the movie and it would not change it's plot in the least. He shot the mom. Oh boy now we really hate him. Then he shoots the engineers taking assets from the Empire. Wha?! The co main character kills a rebel early on to show how seriously he takes his job, then fails to shoot the father? Wha? Speaking of that, the rebels send a sniper to kill the father, then send a squadron of x wings ( gratuitous check list item from the franchise ) to blow him up? Wha!? The small crew we meet are the only ones willing to go get the plans but when they get there the Rebels decide "Oh, now we're all in!" ( gratuitous space battle complete with Star Destroyers crashing into a shield to take it down... wow haven't we seen this exact thing before? ) Every death was pointless except the droid. Just a terrible movie.

Umm what was the question? I seem to have ranted a bit :D

5. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    The one with Rick Moranis was pretty good too...:cautious:

ahc, GregC, CentralCoastBass and 3 others like this.
  6. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

My favorite is 5 The Empire strikes back. It was the first time I saw Imperial walkers and it introduced Yoda. The characters were also developed more in that movie. Han Solo developed more as a roguish man with a history. You can see that he really is a good guy and I wondered about what happened to him to mold him into who he was. The relationship between him and Princess Leia was very predictable but fun to watch develop. Two opposites who end up as a couple.
    Luke seems a little less whiny and than he was in Star Wars 4 and that is an improvement. I also like the scene in the cave where Luke encounters Vader, or is it himself he faces?
    I liked Rogue one a lot. The acting was good, and the characters were interesting. I liked the robot K-2SO, he was like C-3PO with attitude. I also liked Chirrut and Baze. they are total butt kickers. Their relationship is interesting too. Chirrut is very spiritual and unpredictable and Baze is tough and pragmatic. Together they are an amazing team and they have a unique bond.
    The ethical dilemmas that Jyn and Cassian face are also interesting. They start at as two separate people each facing their own personal demons but eventually they discover that their own struggles are the same. I like watching their relationship morph and grow.
    As a whole the movie seems more in the spirit of Star wars 4-6 than the offerings since then.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  7. slobake

I liked the pod race and some of the characters are interesting. The battle droids that roll up into balls were cool.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    pcake likes this.
  8. Funky Ghost

Did we see the same Rogue One? Chirrut was woefully underused ( and a horrid waste of a wonderful actor! ) He had exactly one fight scene and the rest of the time he chanted and walked into the fray just to be killed pointlessly. We didn't get to know him nearly enough to care. Baze, less so and his death was pointless as well.

Jyn we knew had a Dad with a job he came to hate, played with a storm trooper doll and was a criminal. Her interest in the final plot was pretty clumsily done and delivered. Cassian we knew nothing about. He is unlikable and could have been left out of the movie with zero plot implication changed. Well, he did get to hold Jyn when the giant wave caused by the meteor smashing into the ocean swept them away. Oh wait that was Deep Impact. . . I mean when the Death Star took careful aim and shot the dish ( which allows for the "touching" death scene ) instead of just hitting the tower and being done with it. Clumsy plot device is clumsy. The wave wiped out the tower anyway . . .

9. The Force Awakens.

10. slobake

Chirrut was more than just a fighter. His role in the movie was not restricted to fight scenes. The movie could have been one long fight scene but I would have found that boring.
    Both Cassian and Jyn were restless with their own lives.
    Jyn was not sure who she really was and was and I don't believe she hated her father. She was determined to vindicate him and/or discover the truth no matter what the cost. A big part of here identity was tied up in who her father really was. At times she had her own doubts about her father's innocence. She saw the struggle with the empire as shades of grey as opposed to black and white. She wasn't sure if the rebel forces were any better than the empire. I believe she resolved her conflicts about her father and the rebels as the movie played out.
    Cassian was dedicated to destroying the empire and sometimes that dedication forced him to do things that went against who he was. He did is best to shut those things off but they were still there haunting him. He ended up choosing what he knew was right instead of blind obedience to the rebellion when he couldn't pull the trigger to assassinate Jyn's father. He also disregarded orders from high command and went with Jyn to recover the plans to the death star.
    No deaths were pointless. People sacrificed themselves to deliver the plans to the death star with the hope that would be enough to defeat the empire.

blue4 likes this.
  11. Family Guy.

ONYX likes this.
  12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    My favorite is Ep. IV--later known as "A New Hope". Not as slick as "Empire" or "Jedi", there is a certain quality to that movie that I admire.

I'm not really a fan of episodes I, II, and III--although I will watch them from time to time. Watching cinemas baddest on-screen villain go from annoying 8 year old brat to creepy teen-age stalker to whining man-child only to start off his career in evil with a cringe worthy "Noooooooooooooo......." just doesn't do it for me.

The Force Awakens: I like it--but---I think it failed with the "Bad Guy" part. To me Kylo Ren is just a snowflake crybaby who just needs a good educational beating.

Rouge One: Loved it. Reminded me of classic Japanese Chanbara Cinema with it's dark and depressing ending.

slobake likes this.
  13. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I will say I quite enjoyed Rogue One too.
    It was refreshing not to see the heroine survive to return for a sequel.
    It wasn't perfect, too many characters making daft decisions, etc., but it was overall a good story and I certainly would have loved to see more of Chirrut and Baze...and Saw Gerrera. They seemed like the most interesting characters.

Skybone likes this.
  14. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Empire for me also.

15. slobake

I agree about Kylo Ren.

ONYX likes this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The whole movie chewbaca's cross bow blaster thing is sending bad guys flying like it's a grande launcher. Then he shoots Kylie Ren in the gut and he stumbles and grunts.

17. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Basic dark jedi training, I guess ... they probably get shot every day before breakfast in boot camp.

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Nope. They can't just take shots like that. They deflect them. If they get shot it's like anyone getting shot. It's just bad and thoughtless writing.

The part where he stops the energy blast in the air in the beginning and it just hangs there.....was awesome.

19. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Has anyone seen the 30 second Bunnies Star Wars?

I don't have time to look for it, but it is pure gold.

GregC likes this.
  20. Funky Ghost

I found it terribly contrived but my observations of the movie do not make yours any less valid. The lovely thing about art is that it rarely affects individuals the same way and is purely subjective. If you found meaning and joy in it then it was a success for the makers and you as a viewer. That's pretty killer :) We disagree my friend but there is a joy in that too for the world would be a boring place indeed if we were all of a same mind.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021