1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whats the best Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by geegeedemocracy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Psillycybin

Psillycybin

Jul 10, 2014
    The Ewok movies, of course...but seriously, I'm a New Hope man myself

2. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Agreed. Rogue One was a bunch of nonsense. I have no desire to watch it again.

3. I like all of them. I was 5 when the first one came out and was hooked. As for everybody bashing the prequels, I just remember seeing 2 jedi fighting side by side for the first time and was in awe. Then, in Episode 2, with all of the jedi fighting together, wow.

Yes, there are parts that I don't like in the prequels (midiclorians? seriously?), there are parts of the originals that I didn't like (Luke's whining for instance). In all, I'm a big fan of all things Star Wars.

4. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I was working at Lucasfilm when the prequels came out. They had a tradition that when someone leaves they leave a Star Wars poster in the lobby and everyone signs it. They get the poster framed and present it to the person on their last day.
    There was a poster from "The Phantom Menace" in the lobby that everyone was signing. The poster had a picture of Yoda and said "Size matters not, unless it's in Imax."
    Some smart-alec at Lucasfilm wrote "And apparently neither does a plot" on the poster.

GregC and Funky Ghost like this.
  5. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    Return Of The Jedi for me.

upload_2017-8-31_17-4-3.jpeg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRorR3YZDQYIDjtD5tLFLOhp2ZNB2SRnKfSHt3Fjr4DZ8q7hryqYA.jpg

FilterFunk likes this.
  6. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If someone told me I had to watch one of the movies, I'd put in Empire Strikes Back. Even that one isn't anywhere near my top 200 movies.

I was 8 when Return of the Jedi came out, and loved it. Know what else I loved at 8 years old? Beanie Weenies. Given the choice today, I'd go with Beanie Weenies.

Oddly likes this.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The first one, maybe Return of the Jedi.

-Mike

FilterFunk likes this.
  8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY

ahc, S-Bigbottom, slobake and 5 others like this.
  9. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Having seen all of the Star Wars films so far (and having revisited them all with the kids), I'm still a big fan of the "original" 3 films ("New Hope", "Empire" & "Jedi"). The "prequel" trilogy was awful.

I also quite like "Force Awakens" and "Rogue One", and I'm looking forward to seeing the follow on films to "Force".

What I'm NOT looking forward to are all the spurious spin-off's that have been announced since Disney have taken over. Han Solo pre-prequel? Obi Wan Kenobi pre-prequel? Mickey Mouse in a Jedi outfit? No thanks.

Unfortunately, I actually own a Mickey Mouse in a Jedi outfit. My kids bought it for me, so I can't "lose" it. Breaks my heart every time I see the damn thing! :D

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The first two were amazing, the third less so, but still pretty good. The prequels were horrifyingly bad, and the most recent two were a steep grade above the prequels, while a steep grade beneath the originals.

/thread

PS. Christmas Special was loathsome in every way, and had not one redeeming moment

hbarcat likes this.
  11. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Admit it. It was you, wasn't it? :thumbsup:

slobake and Skybone like this.
  12. I liked the first one (later retitled Episode IV) best. The story was complete and consistent on its own terms, the characters were fun, and there were some absolutely classic scenes: the lightsaber duel, flying through the trench on the death star. And, as others have said, it's hard to appreciate it now, but the visual effects were amazing for 1977. It remains one of my favorite films of all time.

I liked Empire for deepening the character development and introducing Yoda, but disliked that it ended with so much unresolved and made me wait 3 years for the next episode. Then as the franchise went on, it seemed like story elements had to get more and more contrived to fit in. The last couple of movies reminded me of an aging rock band on a reunion tour. Do we really need to see a death star get blown up again? I'm getting tired of the whole thing.

Picton likes this.
  13. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    This.

I hate that I live in a world where I constantly need to specify which "version" of which Star Wars movie I like. Hate it. Lucas came up with something magical and brilliant in 1977, then came back 20 years later and tried to destroy it by making it as mediocre as possible.

Han shot first, Jabba never went to Mos Eisly, and the Death Star exploded without a Praxis effect.

Unlike many originalists, I disliked Empire Strikes Back after Hoth. Yoda does not intrigue me.

So, yeah. The original 1977 theatrical Star Wars is my obvious choice.

hbarcat likes this.
  14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan

I never liked the fact that Lucas kept going back and re-editing and adding scenes. One of the big ones that always bothered me was the fact that he changed the opening scroll at the beginning of "Star Wars"--I don't know why this bothers me, but it does.

For posterity's sake, here is the original from the theatrical release in 1977:

It is a period of civil wars in the galaxy.
    A brave alliance of underground freedom fighters
    has challenged the tyranny and oppression of the awesome GALACTIC EMPIRE.

Striking from a fortress hidden among the billion stars of the galaxy, rebel spaceships
    have won their first victory in a battle with the powerful Imperial Starfleet.
    The EMPIRE fears that another defeat could bring a thousand more systems into the rebellion,
    and Imperial control over the galaxy would be lost forever.

To crush the rebellion once and for all, the EMPIRE is constructing a sinister new battle station.
    Powerful enough to destroy an entire planet, its completion spells certain doom for the champions of freedom.

Skybone and Jim Nazium like this.
  15. Fixed.

ONYX and FilterFunk like this.
  16. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I'm IN-NO-CENT I tell you!

maxresdefault.jpg

ahc and Oddly like this.
  17. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Episodes 4-6, without the added CGI. I consider "The Force Awakens" to be a worthy continuation.

I like "Return of the Jedi" a lot more than most folks, it would seem. I thought they did a masterful job of having the three battles - the battle for Endor, the assault on the Death Star (on a personal note - it was very cool to see a black man leading the charge), and Luke vs. Vader - all happening at the same time. I also like the fact that the little fur-ball Ewoks could employ guerrilla warfare and home-turf advantage to help take down the Empire. IMO, "Jedi" did a great job of neatly wrapping everything up.

18. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    The thrawn triology. Though of those, last command

ONYX likes this.
  19. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Yeah; What he (and Jim Nazium) said. The entire Star Wars thing should be a a semester long course in Cinematography - "Why Sequels/Prequels Suck 101"...:whistle:

20. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Agree entirely.

Frankly, Empire and Jedi bore me. I watched them when they came out in the theater and I can't say they are bad but just not interesting as compelling stories. From my perspective, they seem to be formulaic and contrived. The special effects, which were cutting edge at the time, are why Empire and Jedi are considered good.

The prequels suck. I watched them once each and I'd probably chew off my own arm to avoid having to see any of them again.

I didn't see the most recent two and I probably never will.

I did see the "Wookie Life Day show" (aka Star Wars X-mas special) and it was truly painful to watch. I'm embarrassed for anyone who had anything to do with that stinkpile.

P.S. I love the Family Guy parodies but I think the Robot Chicken parodies are even better.
    family safe version:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Jim Nazium and Oddly like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021