1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

whats the best Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by geegeedemocracy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. geegeedemocracy

geegeedemocracy Inactive

Dec 11, 2016
    Empire is my fave of course. Is anyone going to disagree?

osv likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The Christmas special.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Not if they expect to be correct :D

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  4. geegeedemocracy

geegeedemocracy Inactive

Dec 11, 2016
    I couldn't even sit through the first five minutes of that

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    The original series is my favorite. The new ones are decent albeit a little too kid friendly at times. Not sure how else to describe it. I pretend the prequels don't exist.

6. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    The one with Captain Kirk.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It was exactly as enjoyable as Empire, for me.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Gotta go with Empire too.

I think it's the only one that ever lived up to the hype for me. The first one didn't come with THAT much hype.....almost until after its run in theaters. But there was huge hype swirling with the release of Empire. And it delivered. Then, of course, there was huge hype around Jedi. And, as for me, I showed up sitting on the edge of my seat and left kind of underwhelmed.

Part of it also has to do with technology. Empire was cutting edge back then. The effects were insane compared to what else was coming out at the time. Even though the effects in the newer ones blow the older ones away, they were released during a sea of other movies with "mind blowing" effects so they didn't stand out. When you've got the Matrix series and Avatar and others thrown in the mix with the newer ones, they become kind of common place and nothing special. They didn't take it to the next level for their time period like Empire did.

9. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

Lego.

--^@

10. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Any one of the Family Guy ones...

In terms of the actual films my vote too goes to The Empire Strikes Back.

OldDog52 and pcake like this.
  11. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The one with this scene:

12. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    empire.

i, too, pretend the prequels don't exist most of the time. really, george lukas - a star wars movie where a kid gleefully yells "Yippee!"??? it wasn't bad enough without that? funny thing is if you can ignore jar jar and the kid and other stuff, you can watch palpatine's machinations that bring him to more power, though.

oddly i enjoy some of the episodes from "the clone wars" - not all, and not the first few, but i really like that version of obi wan.

slobake likes this.
  13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The most recent one had a good scene where Vader wiped out a bunch of Rebels, but it probably would have been a little more gory if it hadn't been for Disney owning the franchise now.

This scene made me miss playing The Force Unleashed on the PS3 :(

14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Good scene for what it signifies...too bad Hayden was bad at playing the parts (my opinion of course).

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    You may laugh at this, but if you haven't seen the Lego Star Wars TV shorts ("The Padawan Menace" and "The Empire Strikes Out"), check them out. Very funny.

Chicory Blue likes this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Since they put rebel one on Netflix it's become my-go to falling asleep movie. No characters or story to grab my attention. Just noise and lights to help me drift off to sleep.

Nashrakh likes this.
  17. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Haven't seen it but I heard it was horrible. I also read that George Lucas hates it and has done his best to eradicate any copies of that film.

18. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Why didn't this thread end right here?

19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've seen it. It's universally considered to be garbage but I genuinely believe it's only marginally worse than any of the movies only because of a twenty minute scene in chewbaca language without subtitles.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021