Whats The Difference Between Inovation PhyscoSlap Strings And Rockabilly Strings?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by ClintUtz, May 16, 2011.

1. Keeping a dead thread alive - @Bigbassguy how do you like these strings after 8 months?

2. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    I ended up replacing them with Evah weichs. the rab were, for me at least, not bow friendly. Nice pizz

3. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    I started out putting the Innovation gold slaps on my bass and enjoyed them, took all but the E off to put some WeedWhackers on. I could go faster on the WW's but hated the tone, the gold slaps are back on and I love them.

4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I'm using Innovation SilverSlaps E and A under SBW Deluxe "dirty gut" D and G (medium tension)...

SilverSlaps are the silver color version of Golden Slaps, no other difference from what I've read.

SBW Deluxe are spiral-cut kevlar core wackers (bump-set with 6 strings to choose from). The dirty gut color looks very much like gut.

I really liked the SBW Deluxe full set in medium tension when amped but the E and A just didn't have sufficient volume and clarity acoustically. The Deluxe D and G actually sound and feel great on my bass, so I've kept them on.

The SilverSlaps E and A really sound great, loud and clear and a great growl, and they really match the Deluxe D and G strings very nicely in tension and feel. For my bass, this mix is excellent both amped and acoustically.

5. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I've thought about trying the psychos because of the thicker gauge since I'm used to guts BUT....I want to start bowing too so now I'm thinking evah slaps. Right now, I've got golden slaps on and I'm past the tension difference compared to gut and whackers but I can't stand how thin they are. I keep missing the G on fast stuff

6. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I'm totally inexperienced with other strings other than playing them on other people's basses -- I've played Permanents on one bass, Spiro Mittles on another, Polychromes on another, Psychos on another and some manufacturer's raw Guts on another.

But that thickness of the D and G strings is something I really like, and it's one of the reasons I've kept the SBW Deluxe (spiral-cut wackers) D and G on my bass. I do also like the feel of the "un-even-ness" of the spiral cut on these strings too. As mentioned before, they do match very nicely -- or at least compliment -- the tone, volume and feel of the SilverSlaps E and A on my bass.

Even with this string mix, in the past I wanted more acoustic volume, but since I've adjusted my sound post tension, acoustic volume is no longer a problem. Very happily, I've actually been told by my wife to play more quietly.

7. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    And you can bow the slaps? I'm gonna start taking some lessons with the bow but I don't want to handicap myself right out of the gate. I can (badly) bow guts for comparison of what I've tried a bow on

8. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Jason, my Silverslaps E and A were at least very difficult under the bow for a week or so, then I started using a tighter bow, generous (but not crazy) Pops, and a slower, heavier bowing technique. While I wipe them regularly, I think the rosin accumulation within the SilverSlaps windings have helped a lot.

This was about 5 to 6 months ago, at this time the SilverSlaps bow nearly as well as the SBW Deluxe D and G... Which, btw, are excellent under the bow, that spiral cut makes a huge difference over regular wackers. Aside from liking how they sound and feel, one other nice thing about keeping the Deluxe D and G on is that it gave me some excellent arco strings to use and compare with while breaking in the SilverSlaps.

I got my SilverSlaps E and A from Mark Gollihur (excellent service [NFI]) and his website is pretty clear about SilverSlaps and Golden Slaps under the bow, so I knew what I was up against and to be fair, was somewhat determined to make them work as well as possible. These wouldn't be my first choice exclusively for arco, but I am not afraid of using them with a bow in front of people now.

(I use an inexpensive brazilwood French bow with white hair.)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  9. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    ... Just to better provide the sound of the strings described above, I have put up a YT of the SilverSlaps EA / Deluxe DG on my bass.

madbanjoman and HateyMcAmp like this.
  10. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Thanks for the post. Gonna try and bow them tomorrow when everybody is at work so they wont hear my dogs howl

dhergert likes this.
  11. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    My little dog doesn't howl, but my cats try to get in the trap door. Not sure why.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021