Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the easiest way to remove Amp Knobs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fuzzhead, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    I'm changing the black plastic knobs on my V6 over to the chrome V8 type, apparently they just pull off...but I've only been able to get one off so far, the others are pretty tight. I was going to leave it in the sun and put a hairdryer on it to soften them hopefully.

Has anyone got any other tricks for removing pull-off knobs that are tight??

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Fuzz heat doesn't work too well. It tends to soften the outer part of the knob but the heat doen't make it to the middle where you need it.

I've always used small long-nose pliers for this. They don't give quite as much leverage as larger ones so you're less likely to crush the knob. If you're careful, it's just like using fingers that are stronger than yours. If you're not careful, the worst you can do it put a little scratch on it, but they're still usable.

Let me know if you want to borrow any tools.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This might not help much, but try again with two hands. Sometimes you can get two thumbs and two index fingers on the knobs, then try to squeeze your fingertips under the knobs. If they budge at all, then it's just a matter of time before they come free.

4. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    A method I use for guitar and bass knobs may work;
    Get an old t-shirt and get an edge of the shirt under the knob, wrap it around a few times until it is tight, and pull straight out/up/whatever.

It has never failed and leaves no marks.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Nice tip. That's one I had never heard of.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The easiest way is with a sawzall.

Oh, wait, you also wanted "non-destructive!" :p I like the t-shirt pull method. I have also used a variation on this theme with a cloth around the knob and then pry with a flathead screwdriver (also making sure the cloth is beneath the fulcrum point).

7. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Hey I'm back, thanks for the info guys but I already got them off...I finally succeeded with long nose pliers with a guitar cloth inside them, much easier. Didn't damage the old knobs either. Thanks everyone, especially Tombowlus for his first idea. :)

BTW the V6 looks unreal with the V8 chrome knobs, it was already mint but with the new knobs (that match the badge and hardware) and the green jewel light, it looks like a tweed V8! Sick! I think the V Series are the coolest bass amps ever made, like a hot-rodded guitar head ala Dual Rectifier or Framus. Why do most bass amp manufacturers insist on sharp angles and metal? And don't get me started on gold panels or orange graphics. Bring back the vintage look!

Oh yeah, pretty simple to EQ too! I love it...

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Which knobs sound better?

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Go to an auto supply store, get an interior panel removal tool.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  11. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
  12. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    The 4 Ohm knobs...I mean 6 Ohm...V6?? :)

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Pics!?!

14. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Yeah I'll try to borrow a digital off a friend, my mobile won't do it justice. Then I'll work out how to post it. I'm really impressed with it, Trace should have used the chrome knobs all along.:)

15. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
  16. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    An alternate definition of 'Audiophile' is someone who'll believe anything. Snake oil only exists to satisfy the appetites of those who crave it.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    LOL!!! :p