What's your best B?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by songwriter21, Dec 1, 2021.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Amazed by how good the low-B is on my ultta-affordable Schecter Stiletto Studio 5, while the other best B-strings for me have been (not sure of model years):

Ken Smith BRMW? 6
    Yamaha BBP35
    Peavey G-V
    U.S. Peavey Cirrus
    Roscoe SKB3005
    Carvin/Kiesel Icon
    Spector Euro LX
    U.S. MTD Saratoga
    Warrior Dran Michael
    Modulus Q5
    Ibanez BTB 1005e Prestige

No, I didn't notice a difference with Dingwall, or Sadowsky glory, but that's just me. The above basses bring the B in spades, so no need.

What say you?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Knuckle Quake.

3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    My StingRay5 Special B string sounds like thunder!! It is massive .
    My Sandberg Ida5

Previously owned
    Carvin SB5000
    MTD Kingston AG-5
    MTD Beast

Dasgre0g, Yahboy, Nuage420 and 3 others like this.
  4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I've only played a Smith Burner 5. A USA Stingray 5. A Schecter 35" 5 string. (I can't remember the name, Diamond?) And my son's Carvin 35.25" scale 5 string, LB75F, I think.

Carvin wins.

5. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    That extended-scale Carvin was their XB75. The LB series was a normal 34".

Mechanical and bassdude51 like this.
  6. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Ahhhhh, yes. 40" scale, right?

7. I've owned a number of 5 string basses over the years and have only encountered a single instrument that I couldn't get a good B out of: A Washburn Taurus. Other than that, B's have all been great, from 35" basses like Lakland to 34" like my current Wilkins'. Though I will say, the tapered B on the LaBella DTFs and Sadowsky flats has sounded not good on every bass I've tried.

songwriter21 and Afc70 like this.
  8. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    Currently my Modulus Quantum 5 and Tobias basic 5 both have 2 of the best low B strings I’ve ever had.. and I recently sold a Dingwall Abz 5, & I still concluded both the Modulus & Tobias low B strings sounded fuller & tighter than the Dingwall, after a lengthy comparison. The Dingwall had a slightly tapered low B string,I’m not sure if that’s why the Tobias & Modulus sounded better to my ears, but also I’ll admit I’ve never been much of a fan of tapered strings.

IamGroot and songwriter21 like this.
  9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Same as @G On Bass, I have had a bunch of 5'rs and always had nice usable B strings. I currently play Mayones 5 strings and a Rickenbacker 4003s/5.
    They have great B strings that are usable on every fret. I really love TI Flatwound B strings on my Mayones basses. I haven't swapped the strings yet on my RIC but I am sure TI flats will be killer on it.

songwriter21 likes this.
  10. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Come to think of it, I had a couple of Q5s, and they were indeed nice. I've heard good things about the Tobiases.

Afc70 likes this.
  11. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    The Ric, really?? Wow, that's saying something.

sonic 7 likes this.
  12. J33

J33

Nov 13, 2021
    Pedulla Thunderbolt and Greg Curbow IEP for me.

BargeOn, Swipter, Afc70 and 3 others like this.
  13. DeepThoughts

DeepThoughts

May 18, 2019
    The Valley
    RESIST the LOW B! lol
    When it comes to 5 er's i's like 7-up! ....."never had, it never will..."

14. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    I am also primarily a 5 string player and have been chasing Killer Bs for years. I had a so-named Tobias for awhile, but it was a Nashville/Gibson made model and just didn't live up to its name.

I had a 35" Lakland 55-02. Not impressive either. I wanted to love it, but couldn't get there and off it went.

My best B is actually a Sterling Ray35! a 34" scale bass with a roasted maple neck and blueburst quilt maple top. The thing still makes me giggle every time I crank out a monster low B or C for effect! Blows me away that this 34", under $1k import has such an awesome B string... better than most $2-5k basses I've played. I don't know if it's the roasted maple or what, but DANG.

I also recently got a Kingston MTD Super 5 in Dr. Brown's Burst. It's a 35" scale and pretty/really good on the low B compared to most 5 string basses I've had, but it's not QUITE as sharp/clear/authoritative as the Ray35. The overall tonal palette of the bass I really like. If it had the low B of the Sterling it'd be dern near perfect!

signal-2021-12-01-085721_001.jpeg

15. beatdatthang

beatdatthang Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    My Dingwall Afterburner by far. Not only is the B powerful, it sustains forever. The best part is the balanced tone and volume across all the strings. The B is powerful but not more than any other string. From what I’ve experienced, Sheldon and his company are really the best at this.

gg22, J R Knots, SemiDriven and 6 others like this.
  16. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    I've had a couple of 5's but I have only kept one - my Variax 5 string.
    And getting rid of basses/guitars is a hard thing for me to do.

smarthound and songwriter21 like this.
  17. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    Oh, you’re really going to hate the F#0 Dingwall NG3 6 string I’ve got coming.

18. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Always wanted to try one of Greg's monsters. Luckily, Mark Vinciguerra learned from him, and continued on with the Rockwood necks and construction skills of his mentor/teacher.

Come to the darkside. Even Prince was impressed with Andrew Gouche's 6, that was tuned a WHOLE STEP DOWN. He was floored by Purple Rain down that low on the A.

Element Zero and lowdownthump like this.
  19. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Sandberg California TM5.

20. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    I tried flats on my LEJ5. TI jazz flats. They were so amazing on my 4 string J that I was hoping they'd be great on a 5. I read that they weren't... and everyone is right. The B is not great. I took them off after a few months of trying and set them aside. I have a Jazz with flats, but not yet a P. I'll grab a basic/vintage-aimed P at some point on the the normal 4 strings on that bass and probably pitch the B string at that point, lol!

Speaking of strings, what is everyone using on their best B basses? I have D'addario NYXL 45-130s on my Ray35. (my best B bass)

halcyo likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022