What's your favorite "Non Precision" Precision bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by L. L. Elwood, Feb 22, 2024.

1. L. L. Elwood

L. L. Elwood Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    The very 1st bass I purchased with my own hard earned money while still in high school was just like this Kramer Stagemaster Standard, but mine was trans blue. It's basically a P bass. Vol/Tone, Split P pickup. I'd love to see some of your favorite non Fender Precision basses. Let's say the parameters are: Must have a single P pickup with vol/tone, but not a fender. Go!
    Screenshot 2024-02-22 3.34.14 PM.png

2. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    G&L SB-1

IMG_2438.jpeg

3. L. L. Elwood

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Now THATS a beauty. What year?

metron likes this.
  4. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    IMG_1693.jpeg

5. L. L. Elwood

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Ibby Roadstar!! I had one of those in the 80s. It was the best playing bass I ever owned. Action to die for.

Puntti, Relayer71, BGroovy and 4 others like this.
  6. I'm not checked 1 out in person yet but I really want to see what the blues man vintage stuff is like

7. ebo

ebo Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Not exactly a picture of my bass but it’s there. G&L LB100. Is/isn’t a Fender. I could show my Squier which Is/Isn’t a Fender as well. 5EE1A3E4-B2C0-441F-8765-D937129810A8.jpeg

8. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I mean, in common parlance that would be called a P bass even if it is technically not a Fender.

If the question is what do I like better than a Fender P, the answer is just about anything besides a Hofner Violin bass or a Rickenbacker. My current fav are Spector Euro basses. I used to like Warwick, but they just aren't interested in getting basses into people's hands.
    I'm trying to decide if I like the Ibanez EHB1505MS I bought enough to keep it.
    I have a Bacchus Jazz that is phenomenal, I just wish I could find a use for it.
    I was really into Lakland basses a few years ago, but I'm not playing music that works well on them anymore.

9. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central New Jersey
    I know there is another pickup, but my Reverend on the P pickup sounds mighty fine.
    IMG_3134.jpeg

jd56hawk, PMagers, tindrum and 20 others like this.
  10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    My custom 59 contour RS Guitars P with 62 features in seafoam green

gigetto and Killing Floor like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    upload_2024-2-22_20-42-3.jpeg

tindrum, Crispus, Minus and 8 others like this.
  12. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    IMG_9211.jpeg

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My $200 beater Brian by Bacchus P-Bass Shaped Object.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  14. IMG_4862.jpeg

My Ibanez Roadstar II RB630 was incredible. Super lightweight, perfect neck, worn-in blue jeans feel, etc. I added an EMG Geezer pickup which made it even better. I really, really shouldn’t have sold this one. Oh well.

15. Minus

Minus

May 22, 2011
    IMG_0399.jpg

Timmy Liam, lomo, Brich and 5 others like this.
  16. LowendG

LowendG

Jul 30, 2013
    SoCal
    I don't have one currently, but I've owned two Yammy BB1200s in the past. I'm a dummy for having let them BOTH go! One was the bass I played on my first session with some LA/major label heavy hitters--it beat out the Fender P I had in my rack. Such great basses.

17. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    85FA8A4C-FF55-44BF-AC42-4C68FDEC47E3.jpeg
    Electra X700JB (with aftermarket Gotoh hardware)

IMG_0776.jpeg
    Yamaha RBX260F

MYPV2644[1].JPG
    Peavey Fury with T-Series knobs and custom mirror scratchplate (I used to have a pair just like @C Stone but sold off the white one)

Honorable mention: my go-to pair of Yamaha BB734A and BB735A; they do have bridge pickups and I do use them, but the blend strongly favors the split coil in the middle position.

18. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    While I'm kind of in love with my various Yamaha BB basses at the moment, they're mostly PJs so I'll move on. I played a '68 Fender P-Bass only for maybe 20 years. I still have it and it still feels like home, but it doesn't leave the house anymore. What gives me that feeling these days is a 1980 Yamaha Pulser 400. Built like a tank and has the same middy warmth that my old Fender had. Great buy. (And yes, that thumb rest is stock and where it's supposed to me. It's not a tug bar.):thumbsup:

YamahaPulserPB400.jpeg