1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When have you ever bought equipment that was much better than planned?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iplaymetal, Aug 12, 2012.

1. iplaymetal

iplaymetal

Jun 14, 2010
    So I needed something for when I go to college for silent practice, and it was a shame that my current head (Acoustic B200) didn't have a headphone out:crying:. With my birthday on Friday I headed to the Talkbass Classifieds:ninja:. I had only really expected to get a small combo amp and some AKG K240s. I ended up with a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. (Thanks Franksgbass). I haven't received it, nor has it even shipped yet! But I am excited to pump my '03 Warwick Corvette Std (Bubinga body/Ovangkol Neck/Wenge Fingerboard) through it.:bassist:

It's funny how you can expect to get something small and cheap and walk away with a great piece of equipment. Now I turn this over to you: When have you ever had your mind set on something cheap and ended up with a fine piece of equipment, and what was it?

Also, those who have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6, lemme know how you like it!

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I once when to a pawn shop expecting typical pawnshop amps, 4.6w Peaveys, etc.

... And walked out missing a $100 bill, but carrying an Ampeg V4. :D :D :D

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I got it as a Christmas present, so I don't know if it counts, but the Micro VR Stack was the one for me. Sounded great in the stores, wasn't sure if it would work out live. Dang sure did, though.

Just last week I did a big outdoor gig for about 2000, and I took a break from tube snobbery because of rain warnings and brought it and a 210av. At one point in the show I grabbed my upright over my head and played it while running out in the crowd, and I thought my sound was pretty happening in the house, maybe a shade lower than I would have liked but it was in the mix and sounded really good. But the soundman comes running up to me and tells me he just lost me in the house. The cheap AC cable I was using for the REDDI came loose from the cheap power strip they gave me to plug into. So the Micro VR Stack was carrying the house while I was out there. That was the biggest surprise I've had with gear since discovering I actually could gig with a B-15 as long as we had PA.

DISCLAIMER: We're not Metallica here ;) But we're not lounge music quiet, either. Medium loud rock and roll.

4. iplaymetal

iplaymetal

Jun 14, 2010
    :eek:That's awesome!! Maybe I should visit more Pawn Shops and Garage sales. . .

5. I was just getting back into playing after a decade or so away...

I had saved up $350 and expected to order a Peavey Foundation at the local Peavey retailer (this was late 80's)...

...on the way I stopped at GC...and walked out with a Rickenbacker 4001...used but pristine...for $400... ...I still have it (and, down the road, I picked up a Foundy also)... ...not always, but sometimes GC can have the best deals anywhere...

6. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    Bought a Mesa M6 Carbine a little while back and while it is not necessarily *better* than I expected, it is definitely more amp than I will ever need and its a 600w head. It's too loud when its off and we are a loud band.

7. I'm super happy with my GK MB500. I picked it up as a backup for my SVT and as a lighter alternative for corporate and/or quieter gigs. I had mainly intended on using it that way with my HT112, but I've been digging the sound and the weight so much that I've been using it on the big gigs too (with my NV610). It's a great little amp. Totally exceeded my expectations.

8. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I just picked up a GK MB Fusion used and I am very impressed, lots of volume and punch.
    I bought it as a back up to my Shuttle 9.0 but I have to say I think I prefer the Fusion.

I have been playing for over 25 years and this is my first GK product and I don't think it will be my last!

9. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Had an old Ampeg head go down at the end of a Friday gig, with a Saturday gig on the way.

I went to a chain store and played everything in stock. 2 hours later went home with the demo model of a GK 700RBii. I felt sort of "meh" about it, as I was thinking I rushed my decision due to only having in-stock amps to choose from. I was going to do the rather unethical act of gigging it then returning it. I know, I know, that's not a good thing to even consider. After my Saturday gig, I became a GK guy. That little head really knocked my socks off. We didn't have sub support in our PA, so I my amp had to carry the room every time. And I admit this little guy does it with room to spare. Couldn't be happier.

10. When I bought my first fEARful I had no idea what I was getting into. I just figured it was something that could keep up with an 810 and would be lighter and easier to transport. Boy was I wrong, it far exceeded my expectations as far as sound and capability.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I bought a used Mesa D-180 for under $700 as a backup to my M9.

Totally blown away by the all-tube tone! What a great amp for the $$$.

Also, I just picked up a pair of Bergantino AE210's from a fellow TBer for a crazy low price. I was impressed because a) he said they were mint and they absolutely are and b) the sound is better than I expected (and I own a Sadowsky (Berg) cab already)!

12. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I bought a BG250 from TC Electronic this past week not knowing what I was getting into and knowing the "flack" certain TB'ers gave them about wattage ratings. I needed a light a amp to gig with and at 35lbs I thought I'd give it a shot for 339 bucks.

It completely blew the PF500 and PF115HE cab I was using before out of the water. More usable volume (only rated at 250 watts, I had to push the PF500 to keep up and barely had enough volume with a drummer, I have headroom to spare with this), overall better tonal range and a ton of cool effects. Not to say the Ampeg sounded bad, it was a great amp. TC Electronic has hit some sort of magic with this amp.

One of the lightest, gig worthy amps I have played with.

13. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Thats only the tip of the iceberg..... ;)

14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

My little MarkBass 121P combo amp consistently blows me away, and other people that hear (and are now borrowing) it. How that much sound comes out of that tiny box is still hard to believe, and it has been 3 years now. It is the best single piece of gear I have ever bought.

15. If I ever need a combo for a band in the future, I'll be picking one up!

16. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I just got a GK MB800, though i think it blew my first cab, I love it. AMAZING.

PS: Out here in Las Vegas, there are a TON of pawn shops, and every so often you can find some good stuff. I make my rounds regularly.

17. The first Gallien-Krueger product I bought back in the early 80s was a 800RB and it totally blew my mind - awesome amp. The Gallien-Krueger MB800 is another mind blower and I can’t wait to get my hands on a new little 100w, 21lbs, MB110 combo.

18. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I bought an ART ProChannel for just over £200.

I only wanted something that had enough EQ to run my Line 6 Live XT into so that I could do a quick tweak for the room instead of tweaking each patch or diving into menus for global EQ. I also wanted something that could easily kick my lazyassed Crown 1000XLS with the full 1.4 volt input.

The ART has the ability to do that and it was cheap. I was expecting cheap, but I actually got a nicely built professional looking pre that I reckon is the equal of many more expensive units, and it's got the first compressor that I've found at all useful in any piece of kit - certainly exceeded my expectations by a long way.

19. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    I'm sure you will love your Genz Benz Shuttle 6.
    I LOVE MINE!!!

20. +100

I have the same pre, bought mine for cheap too. For the price it is hard to beat, for double the price it would still be hard to beat. The quality is superb, the only thing cheap about it is the price tag. I have swapped the tubes, and still might roll some more, but it is a huge bang for the buck.