1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When the MTV VMA's had controversy that wasn't scripted.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Blazer, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well with all that hubbub about Miley Cyrus strutting her stuff (You GO girl!) more and more people I spoke with are convinced that it was all a hoax. The orginasation of the whole thing OBVIOUSLY knew in advance that that was going to happen.

I haven't put any effort into watching the MTV video Music awards, since the current state of "Music" is leaving me depressed. Dave Grohl once said that the Foo Fighters were on a number of VMA's not because people loved their music but because they just needed a rock band there to off balance all the Hip-hop and teenie bopper stuff.

And if Miley Cirus strutting her stuff (and let's face it she's HOT) is getting everybody's panties in a knot is the most memorable moment of the VMA's this year, the VMA certainly has lost its soul.

Because the best moments of controversy on the VMA's were NOT planned out in advance.

Rage Against the machine were told in advance that they were not going to win the best rock award because Limp Bizkit was going to win it, so they were told by the staff to just act surprised. But bass player Tim Commerford was getting more and more angry with how fake it all was, so he went "You want an act, I'll GIVE you an act!"

Disclaimer: Bad Language.

2. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    The entire premise of mtv is that people are swayed more by what they see than what they hear. No idea why some people are surprised at what pop music has become.

3. what about miley's performance can be considered a "hoax" she definitely did it.

publicity stunt? is that what you mean to say?

cuz it's def that.

4. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    since when were the VMA's about music? Or any of the awards for that matter....this is news to me...:spit:

5. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    The year: 1976. The event: The Grammy's. The winner of the best new artist award "starland vocal band". ***, they beat out Boston. This is the year I stopped watching any musical award shows

6. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    They year: 1989. The Event, the Grammy's. The winner of the best metal award JETHRO TULL ***, they beat Metallica. That was the year that I was convinced that there was something not right about how the Grammy awards are judged.

Ian Anderson was was just as surprised as James Hetfield, knowing full well that Tull is NOT a metal band.

7. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Wow, thats pretty lame and I like both Tull & Metallica. I guess its as bad as some of the "Rock and roll hall of fame" members

8. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    The guys from Jethro Tull seemed to think it was pretty funny that they won. I've wondered if the gave the awaerd sculpture to Metallica. But I doubt it.

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Imma let you finish but the KLF had the greatest award show disrespect moment of all time.

Way back when in 1992 KLF shot blanks from an automatic rifle at the audience at the Brit Awards, then announced they have left the music industry. They wanted to throw buckets of sheep's blood at the audience but couldn't because they were playing with Extreme Noise Terror who were vegetarians. Then they buried an award statue at Stonehenge, possibly twice.

Not that anybody remembers or cares. Which is kinda sad, I'd love to cover "3 AM Eternal" but who would recognize it?

10. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Funny you should mention the KLF, I always dug their work since it had just the same 'tude as the grunge I was getting into at the time.

They made one VERY brief return in 1997 at their tenth anniversary to proclaim "F*ck the millennium" which they performed live at the Brit awards where they left some explicit graffiti on the side of the building.

My favorite song of theirs was "Last train to Transcentral"

11. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    In my world she's anything but hot, more like vile and disgusting and i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

As for the Foo Fighters, no they're just there cause they're whitebread rock enough for the VMAs. I havent put any effort into watching any vmas, ever.

That's not what Almqvist really said, just that the people watching the show could turn it off now. He probably did direct it at the Vines but he didnt make it personal so theres not much controversy there. And the vines didnt really screw up anything just screamed too loud and badly trashed their instruments. Hardly controversy. Unless all of The who's performances were controversial. Turns out no one remembers either band now. Almqvist moves were all 100% Jagger. Did he think nobody would notice? There's homage and there's total aping. Of course he's not the first singer to steal Jagger's whole repertoire.

Miley Cyrus, publicity stunt or not, was more controversial than all these. The whole world talked about it. Sadly enough because i'd rather she didnt get any publicity. It was pretty pathetic anyway. When you get to regret the Madonna of the Sex era.... you know music is bad when even pop music has fallen.

12. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Was that Mike Portnoy at the end of the Metallica vid?

13. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    MCA had every reason to be backstage, the Beastie Boys performed that night.