1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHEN YOU BUY A BASS (% question!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dan.ablett, Feb 27, 2008.

1. describe what influences you...... using percentages!

aesthetics ...%
    feel ...%
    tone ...%
    weight ...%

your 4 scores should total 100.
    if this is a bit subjective, then just do it based on your most recent bass purchase, and tell us what it was.

2. feel 60%
    tone 25%
    aesthetics 10%
    weight 5%

(its easier to change electronics than find a bass with a really nice feel)

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    aesthetics 20...%
    feel 50...%
    tone 0...%
    weight 30...%

Feel is included in the weight decision, but i suppose if you want to seperate it out, its something like this. I give tone a zero cos its the easiest thing to change out if you like everything else.

4. aesthetics 25%
    feel 35%
    tone 35%
    weight 5% (as long it's 10-11lbs or less)

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Aesthetics = 10%
    Feel = 40%
    Tone = 50%
    Weight = 0%

Of course if it's uber ugly but feels and sounds great I'd still play it.

6. EXAMPLE

marcus miller IV fender jazz

aesthetic 30%
    feel 29%
    tone 36%
    weight 5%

ive always felt that it is heavier then i would have preferred, but the tone and feel make up for the weight. one of my main reasons for looking into another bass is to get something lighter. something that reads as 25 25 25 25.

7. okay, I'll play

aesthetics - 0
    feel - 5
    tone - 95
    weight - 0

As long as the thing is playable the only thing I care about is what it sounds like. I'm rolling intonation, lack of dead spots and all that sort of stuff in to tone.

8. Feel/playability: 80%
    Tone: 15%
    Aesthetics: 5%

9. feel 40%
    tone 30%
    divide the rest equally!

10. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    tone 50
    feel 40
    aesthetics 10
    weight 0

It's gotta sound good and feel good or it won't get played. If it doesn't look good, it won't get played live, but might still work for recording...

11. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    aesthetics - 0
    feel - 20
    tone - 80
    weight - 0

12. aesthetics: 50%
    feel: 10%
    tone 40%
    weight: 0%

it may be a bit weird but, if a bass doesn't look appealing to me i won't even pick it up (headless basses, odd body shapes ala CB, etc). the reason feel accounts for so little is because i try to guess how a bass would feel based on how it looks and i'm rarely wrong (warwicks throw me off :p). Of course tone has to be a big factor becasue it's your sound. And weight doesn't matter to me. So basically i have to have a bass that sounds good and looks good.

13. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    aesthetics 1% (if you're *not* counting balance/neckdive in there)
    feel 50%
    tone 19%
    weight 30% (*if* you're counting balance/neckdive in there)

I use a Variax for recording, so tone isn't that important to me - live, nobody can hear the bass anyway, so feel & weight are much more significant in my book. And I *hate* neckdive. I usually sit down when I'm recording anyway, but my Variax doesn't have that problem, fortunately.

I don't give a rat's patoot about fancy tops or inlays - I've had quilted tops and I've had solid-finish Fenders and I have to say, I almost couldn't care less, and I certainly don't want to pay extra for it. The only reason I put even 1% is that I would not want a puke-green bass, but other than that... Hey, if ugliness really mattered, they wouldn't let me on stage in the first place! :smug:

I'd like to see this done again, but with price as a factor!

I'm not going to go with my most recent bass purchase because I'm having some regrets about it, but I will tell you about my favorite bass and why it's my favorite.

It's an MTD Artist 5, bought it for $425 or so used on eBay. It has a single MM-style humbucker and a 3-band active EQ, a very thin/asymmetrical neck profile, 24-frets, is very light-weight, a *little* bit of neck-dive, but not too bad, no inlays on the neck (side dots only), and a pretty plain, translucent-red gloss finish over basswood.

The reasons I like is are that it sounds decent, it's incredibly easy to play, it's light, and I don't have to worry if it gets stolen or damaged, since it was pretty cheap to begin with. I'm only talking about playing live, here - I use a Variax in the studio, recall. If I could have paid less and had it unfinished, that would be even better, but ~$400 is fine for me. It's a little beat up and I'm not worried about that, either (bought it used) - I'm not one of those guys who polishes his bass everytime he plays, although I do usually wipe down the strings.

14. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    aesthetics 5%
    feel 35%
    tone 45%
    weight 15%

It has to sound good first. Even though you can upgrade the pickups, pre, etc. But, if the basic, stock tone isn't good, then those upgrades might not turn out the way you hope for. Feel is important because it's unchangeable. If my hands can't make it through a 4-hour gig comfortably, then that bass probably won't last long with me. Weight is important, but I have lived with heavy basses when the tone and feel justified it. Asthetics do count for something, if it sounds great, feels great and is lightweight, I'll probably play it regardless of how it looks. I have played a few basses that were beautiful, but I would never buy them because of lack of tone/feel.

15. OK. I bought mine as a total newbie. I like lots of different bass sounds, so I had no idea of what kind of tone I wanted. I'm an arthritic old man, so weight mattered. I didn't get either of the ones that sounded best to me because I didn't like the color on the Squier VM P-bass or the feel (balance) of the Epiphone Thunderbird. so I guess it would be:

Asthetics 75%
    Feel 10%
    Weight 10%
    Tone 5%

However, once I reach a point where I can play and find out what my preferences are, these could all change.

For the record, I got a Peavey Grind 4 string. It looks and sounds good to me, but with my limited experience, I can not comment of "feel". I'd take anything I say about tone with a grain of salt, too.

16. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    if that was the case

Tone 0
    Aesthetics 0
    Feel 0
    Weight 0
    Cost 100

17. feel = 50%
    tone = 20%
    aesthetics = 25%
    weight = 5%

i usually change the electronics if there not up to the job but feel is the most important because that cant be changed easily.

18. lol

i left price out on purpose, as to not rob the %... atleast in my case, price would be 90%.....

19. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    feel = 45%
    tone = 45%
    weight = 9%
    aesthetics= 1%

20. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    So if somebody gave you a $90 Rogue for free, or alternatively, offered you a chance to buy a mint-condition '62 Fender for $50 with the stipulation that you could never sell it, you'd go with the Rogue? :smug: