Where do YOU like to stand on stage and why?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by GrapeBass, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Stage left (to the right of the drummer)

36 vote(s)
    11.0%
  2. Stage right (to the left of the drummer)

69 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. Underground, with the carrots

23 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. STAGE LEFT (LEFT OF THE DRUMMER)

132 vote(s)
    40.2%
  5. STAGE RIGHT (RIGHT OF THE DRUMMER)

68 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    I prefer to stand on stage right (to the right of the drummer) on stage because, I feel, I get a better perspective view of the whole band for visual cues. It's also more natural for me to have my head positioned towards the neck of my bass (RH player).

I've noticed that a many British or European players also stand on stage right (to the right of the drummer) but American (North American) seem to favor stage left (to the left of the drummer) citing that they are on the side of the high hat or so that they can see the bass drum.

Interested in others opinions and reasons, there are no correct answers.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  2. onestone

onestone

Jan 18, 2013
    Stage right, left of the drummer. This way there’s no risk of hitting the cymbals with the neck when/if stagespace is minimal :)

Matt R, Foeredetting, Zbysek and 11 others like this.
  3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I don’t want to split hairs, but that is stage left.
    stage L/R is based on looking AT the audience FROM the stage.
    stage left - definition and meaning

4. You’ve got your stage directions backwards. Unless the drummer has his back to the audience, his right is stage right (ie from the perspective of someone on stage) or house/audience left.

Having said that, being left handed, I prefer to be stage right. That makes it easiest to face the audience without closing myself off to the rest of the band. I couldn’t care less which side of the drums I’m on.

5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Stage left — to the LEFT of the drummer. (As others have said, OP has this reversed.) On the hi-hat side away from the ride. Better to hear the downbeats.

6. Right in the middle - I'm also lead singer.....:D

On a bass only gig - stage left next to Hi hat

7. To left of drummer; easier to interact

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I prefer to be on the stage left side of the drummer (and the rest of the band) but I’ll often switch if I’m playing with a lefty drummer because I like to be on the hi-hat side.

thetaxmiser, Cheez, KLINCOLNS and 2 others like this.
  9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    To be honest, I really don't care.. I've played both sides.
    I'm 100% wireless/IEM, and have plenty kick/hat/snare in my ears.
    I'm able to roam larges stages. Occasionally I'll look at the kick, but..

Now, IF I was non-IEM, I'd "prefer" to be stage left, near hat and line of sight w/ kick!

EarlTroutman likes this.
  10. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Impaired
    Yes, I was confused by your choices. Stage left means you're to your own left, which would also be left of the drummer. That's where I like to stand and, ideally, with no one else to the left of me. Sometimes I get my wish and sometimes I do not, depending on the size of the band and the clout of whoever it is who wants to be on that side of me.

Bandleaders get to stand there with the standard warning that I'm not responsible for dental bills if headstock meets teeth by accident.

11. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Let's see...my right hand is nearest to drummer's left hand. Is that specific enough?:D

TN WOODMAN, rylie and Spidey2112 like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Facing the audience, stage left, drummer's left side... why?

When I swing around to do my patented 'Geddy One Leg On Stage, One Leg On The Riser' move, I don't knock our lead singer in the head...

... no comment on splitting the seam of my pants.

Geri O and DrThumpenstein like this.
  13. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    No one should have to look at the kick pedal to know what the drummer is playing. Your ears should tell you.

OP, please eliminate the erroneous first two choices.

Plectrum72 likes this.
  14. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Except that I prefer to stand where I have a clear sight line to the kick drum. Once stage volume exceeds a certain level, ears alone are not much help.

15. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    I stand .... wherever the bass amp is.

16. This. Hi-hat side every time.

psyline, Dynacord and bassfran like this.
  17. Danny C

Danny C

Oct 31, 2018
    Either side of drums is fine. Then find the sweet spot moving in and out to hear/feel the kick and my amp.

18. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    You forgot Center Stage (in front of the drummer) which is where bassists who are also the lead singer/frontperson are sometimes positioned. I prefer to be at the drummer's right. It often gives me a view of what's going on with the kick drum pedal and is conducive to keeping an eye on the drummer and the rest of the stage while also being able to glance at my fretboard.

19. Either left or right of the drummer, I don't care which.

What I do have a strong preference about is not having somebody else on the same side of the stage as me, if possible.

I prefer the balanced look of a three-person front line, and dislike having another player, their (usually too loud) amp, and all their gear on the same side as me.

barrenelly and Rafar like this.
  20. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I prefer stage right. I can look over my bass neck and see what’s going on on stage.

That being said, in one band, I’m set up stage left since I was the last member to join and that was all that was available.

Anyway, as long as I have at least six feet between me and my cabinet, I’m good. Any closer and I don’t like the sound.

MrBeta and fourfinger like this.