1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where have you had the best eggplant parmesan?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 22, 2013.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Greetings eggplant fans!

Where have you had the best eggplant parmesan? There is this little hole in the wall place in Oyster Bay, NY called Nino's. To my taste at least, they use perfect width in slicing, not too thin or thick. Sometimes its hard to find just the perfect measurement to slice with. Perfectly fried, not overly saucy. Yum! :cool:

2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I've never had eggplant, does it tastes like chicken?

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Believe it or not, if you cook it right, it tastes like egg, texture and all.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I like eggplant a lot! I've made lots of tasty things with it (babaganoush on the grill is the BOMB!)

The best Parmesan I've had is at: http://www.notosoldworld.com/site/

5. Going back, as in way back in time, we'd go to Tino's Restaurant just across the city line from Yonkers NY. Tino would toss pizza dough in front of the brick oven, behind a glass window that looked out on the dining room. Their Eggplant Parm was to die for.

6. My wife is a Filipina. She makes an outstanding Eggplant Omelette "Tortang Talong" (I may not have spelled that correctly), which I absolutely love.

Mind you, she uses an Asian Eggplant, of which the shape is more oblong like a Zucchini. (I'm sure you can likely do the same with a North American eggplant.) Basically boil them, then cut them in half and peel them. Flatten each side like a pancake. For each piece, add some ground pork, salt/pepper/seasoning, and egg to hold it all together. Fry each one like an omelette.

They're awesome with ketchup and a good hot sauce. If you are able to find it, there's a Philippines ketchup named Jufran. Jufran is already spicy because it's made with banana peppers.

7. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Eggplant = aubergine, right?

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Si!

9. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    French wannabe. :ninja:

10. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Don't taste like any kind of egg I've ever had. More like old sweat socks

Nasty stuff. Won't touch it

11. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Mais oui. Zucchini = courgette? :)

12. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I think so. This thread mentions too many veges I would have no idea how to cook.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Moulinyan

14. RayG

RayG

Oct 24, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    The best I have had to date was at my mother-in-laws which is conveniently located right around the corner from me. Marrying Italian does have it's advantages....

Regards-----

15. +1. I've had bites off of people's plates enough times to know not to order it.:bag:

16. was not cooked properly then.

:)
    To answer the question:some restaurant I forgot the name right outside of Boston, while coming back from Maine
    regarding aubergine/eggplant, I also like it in baba ganoush.
    :D

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    "IHOP!!" Dad, he wasn't talking to you.

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    My boring stock answer: at home, mostly using stuff from my garden. ;)

I like eggplant curry a little more, but my wife does the parm thing very well too. Best to pick 'em small, like many veggies.

19. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

The only one who cooks it better than my Italian Mother was my Italian Nonna (Grandmother)

20. Nino D

Nino D

Oct 31, 2012
    Albany,NY
    I prefer my own the best. First I use a meat slicer and cut them long ways kinda thin but not paper thin.Then in a strainer, start layering, salting each layer. Cover with wrap and put something heavy on top .Put it in the fridge with a pan underneath to catch the water, over night. This makes it less bitter.Then while heating olive oil in a large shallow pan(about a quarter inch worth),roll slices in flour to coat. Beat some eggs in a bowl and add lots of pepper and parsley. Don't let oil get to hot about 375.Its ready when a little bit of egg dropped in sizzles to the top instantly.Drop some floured slices in the egg and let it run off so its lightly coated.Saute them on each side until light golden brown. Drain on paper towels.This is what takes the longest.Then just take your favorite sauce(I make my own) and put some in a pan. Layer eggplant, sauce,parmesan cheese, mozzarella and repeat one more layer.Bake at about 400 until cheese is melted about 15 to 20 minutes and serve with pasta.:bassist: