1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where were you when it happened?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MHeardOnBass, Apr 9, 2021.

1. They say there are moments in life so dramatic, so defining that you never forget where you were when it happened. The JFK assassination. 9/11.

I remember it like it was just last Sunday...

I was procrastinating when I reached for my phone to perhaps re-read a Dr. Cheese bass review or indulge in some of JimmyM's wisdom. I typed "t" into the search bar. Naturally Talkbass was the first autofill suggestion. I hit enter.

Nothing happened. "The site cannot be reached" my browser said. Nonsense. I hit refresh. Same result.

I jump over to the computer, perplexed as yet again I get the same result. Modem issues, I quickly and unconvincingly say to myself. The device resets and shows all green.

The site still cannot be reached. Panic ensues. I quickly flip on the news - no reports of mass panic from the bass player community. I must have been one of the first to realize what actually happened:

Talkbass was down.

How was I supposed to move forward from here? Spend time practicing?? Actually hone my craft?! My bass beckoned from the corner of my room. Perhaps now, it thought, this digital blackout would rekindle our relationship. Nonsense.

I dug through the basement for some old Bass Player magazines. It just didn't hit the same. No exuberant New Bass Day Posts. No effects threads where the topic appears to be focused on breakfast. Nothing.

I settled in for the long haul. It became clear that this was no minor outage. Mentally preparing for the road ahead, I gingerly grasped my long-neglected P-Bass and began to play. The low frequencies once again gently shook the four walls surrounding me. A feeling foreign, yet distantly familiar. Like a letter from an old friend, I felt an emotion thought forgotten: fulfillment.

I'm sure that many of you, like myself, will share your own harrowing tale of this week with our kin for generations to come. Every detail recollected in perfect focus, as if looking at a framed painting within your mind.

So tell me, fellow low-enders? Where were you when it happened?

Wisebass, Mr_Moo, timplog and 62 others like this.
  2. Sunday evening at home, unable to log on. Began reviewing in my mind what I may have posted, that would get not only me, but the entire Talk Bass community banned from the internet. Spent a restless night, awoke Monday morning, same thing. Began to believe it was a concerted effort, by world leaders, to quell the incredibly insightful topics covered here. I began checking the skies for black helicopters, I swear that a black SUV was following me to work.
    Got home Monday evening, checked my amp, cab, etc. for hidden surveillance equipment. Tried practicing but my heart wasn't in it. Cried myself to sleep Monday night.
    Tuesday, as soon as my alarm woke me, I tried logging on again, depression engulfed me, didn't bother take a shower. What's the point? Tried logging on at work, watched the icon circling, until the timeout error. Probably spent more time than I should have hitting refresh, my boss told me I had to go home, I had already spent 5 hours past my shift, and others were beginning to worry about me.
    Stayed home Wednesday under the covers.
    Thursday my wife had several people over to try to do an intervention. All I could do was repeat "Happy Good Morning" in a monotone voice. I managed to get my fingers to try to log on once again, and saw the notification, of a fire, and server damage. Instantly, I hit my knees in thanks, and prayed for God to guide the hands of IT heroes. Showered, got dressed, went to work checking in occasionally, clinging to the hope, offered in the message displayed.

Friday, joyousness abounds, back on line, smiling so much, I am scaring people.

OtherLisa, Morrighan, Mr_Moo and 25 others like this.
  3. My god - I never thought of the conspiracy angle. Sure this must be the work of the "Deep Bass". But who pulls the strings? Fender Play? Scotts Bass Lessons?? Gone was the Perseus Shield that is Talkbass; long protecting us against those forces who would mandate that we practice.

Neglecting to scan the skies or do a full debug, I can only assume that I am comprised. Now which tooth was filled with cyanide...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Mr_Moo, 2tonic, design and 5 others like this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

In the middle of posting positive feedback on a classifieds purchase. :jawdrop:

Wisebass, Mr_Moo, mikewalker and 5 others like this.
  5. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Monday morning, I went to hit TB with my morning coffee and saw the Screen of Death.

So the apocalypse had begun. Was it zombies or aliens? As if the pandemic wasn't enough, now I have to bunker down big time and hope to ride it out. :wideyed:

What a relief to hear it was only a catastrophic fire and aftermath.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I missed it. I was probably wasting time on some other forum. The few days have been agonizing, though.

7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Bungle bottom, or "Deepbass" as he/she/it is sometimes refered to, is an insidious entity attempting to suppress the infinite wisdom bestowed upon bass players word wide, stopping at nothing to quell the secrets we alone possess to transform the planet to everlasting goodness and peace.

....it could happen;):D:bassist:

8. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    You mean the blip?

obimark, mikewalker, Krizz and 6 others like this.
  9. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Apologies to the Dead and Bonnie Dobson...

Talk to me about bass, my honey
    Talk to me about bass, today
    Can't do no TalkBass, honey
    Can't get to TalkBass, today

I thought I saw TalkBass this morning
    I thought the site was back online
    You can't get to TalkBass this morning
    Can't get to TalkBass, it's offline

Talk to me about bass, my honey
    Let's TalkBass, today
    Can't get to TalkBass, my honey
    I guess it doesn't really matter, anyway
    I guess it doesn't matter anyway

Fialka, Wisebass, design and 5 others like this.
  10. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Took it in stride, like the many times this happens with my internet/cable service. I always prepare people with "not IF it will happen, but WHEN it will happen."

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  11. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I had just decided against going for a walk around the lake after Easter lunch and was eating leftover baclava...

blackness.

~~~

Strangely, I could access specific pages via google.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yep. In my living room watching some rehash basketball, anxiously counting the hours for the Bears to take the stage the next day. And nobody I know expected Zags to bring even as much as they brought, we knew it would be over within 10 minutes and we were right. Go on acting like beating Pepperdine in anything makes you #1. Puh-leez.

Yeah, anyway, I had 3 pedals ordered 6 months apart all show up on Monday and I couldn't post pics. This was the 21st century Elvis moment. No NBD, no tort, no P with flats, nothing. Our TDPRI friends tried to cheer us up.

13. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    I thought my internet connection was playing up again :eek: just gotta say well done to the Talkbass team a fast recover :thumbsup: i think 3 cheers are in order :hyper::hyper::hyper:

14. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

Probably either:

Combing old KJung posts that compare one cab/amp to another;
    Searching for long-ago-sold Classified basses that stirred me when they were first posted;
    Looking through the Instruction section over on the DB side in the hopes of finding a nugget;
    Poring through recently-banned members' posts to try to figure out why they got the banhammer; or,
    Hovering over the "Post Reply" button while I wait for a momentary cascade of GAS to pass.

Wisebass, Mr_Moo, MattZilla and 5 others like this.
  15. This is the way.

16. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

The insider known only anonymously as "Deep Note"?

That's low-hanging fruit that I just had to pick for you. :laugh:

Mr_Moo, 2tonic, mikewalker and 5 others like this.
  17. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    yeah, him too

bassdrummer likes this.
  18. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Pandemic, economic collapse, political chaos, and now this? Oh, the humanity!

2tonic, mikewalker, donhank and 3 others like this.
  19. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Jeff Berlin did it.

legalbass, Wisebass, Mr_Moo and 13 others like this.
  20. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    In the middle of a private message dialog. TB just disappeared.

mikewalker and bassdrummer like this.
  21. I was going for a long walk and tried checking TalkBass.... nothing.

22. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021