1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which 50 Year Old 2x15 Stack to Keep & Which to Sell?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldFenderPlayer, May 29, 2018.

1. I like old bass gear (to be honest, old, working condition, cheap bass gear) and I have a house that allows me to have two sets of equipment - rehearsal gear on my second floor and gigging gear stored on pallets in my garage.

This setup led me buy without concern for space two old bass amps which have a head plus a 2x15" speaker cabinet: 1) a 1969 Ampeg B25B head and a matching cabinet from the mid-1970s and 2) a 1969 Bruce Model B8215. Both amps are in good working condition.

I have to get rid of one of these amps, but which one?

One of the bands that I'm in had to relocate from a member's home-studio to my already-packed rehearsal space, so one of these stacks has to go. The Ampeg stack was my rock band practice rig and is now stored in my garage, and the Bruce is in my home's rehearsal space.

About the Ampeg stack
    New Amp Cabinet Day: Ampeg B-25B

About the Bruce stack
    New Amp Day ... 1960s Bruce B8215. Both amps are in good working condition.

Option 1 Ampeg B25B. Option 2 Bruce Amp.JPG

GreaserMatt likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I'd prolly keep the Ampeg.

I think this thread needs a poll. :thumbsup:

3. I tried to figure out how to set up a poll, but couldn't.

4. That’s apolling! :D

5. Another one who needs more coffee in his sugar. :)

I would sell the Ampeg if I could never find another Brucie, just because of the name.

6. Well, polls are good.. but your own ear is better. Keep the one that sounds best to you... both are rare and maybe worth money... Ampeg probably will get more money than Bruce from collectors, but depends on collector. Which one does your pbass like best? Which head records best? Therein lies your tough choice. Sure you can't keep both?
    questions,
    fnord!

7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Best answer.

OldFenderPlayer likes this.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    How does the Ampeg sound on the Bruce cab? Bruce amp on the Ampeg cab?

BadExample likes this.
  9. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Bruce is more rare. I'd probably hang onto it.

But, yes, keep the one that sounds better to you.

10. I never sell equipment unless I absolutely have to have to, can't you stick one in a closet somewhere? Although if I did have to sell one it would be the one that I liked less.

11. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Keep the one that sounds the best to you.
    Nobody else matters and neither rig will be incredibly collectable.

12. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I used to have a b25b. I was really in love with that cabinet for a few years. I blew both the square magnet speakers and replaced them with eminence, and it became even better (imho).
    I'd say let Bruce go.

13. Sell the Bruce it seems to be the most worn of the two ...

14. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Off the Bruce, keep the peg!

15. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I wish somebody would make a line of gear called "Faith". Then when push comes to shove, we could 'Keep the Faith'...

RobTheRiot, JRA, Oddly and 1 other person like this.
  16. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If I could only keep one, it would be the Ampeg; But, that's because I'm an ampeg guy. I've never even seen one of those Bruce amps though; you can always find an ampeg if you look for one (they made thousands of them), but you may not be able to find one of those Bruce amps again. Definately an enigma wrapped in a conundrum.... LOL : )

17. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You're going to have to find a place to stash that Bruce; you just never see those things, LOL... : )

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  18. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Easy, keep the Ampeg. But why sell off?

19. Super easy decision, hang onto the Bruce, and sell that dime-a-dozen B-25B to me :thumbsup:

Seriously though, the Bruce might be a rare rig, but the Ampeg will always hold more value, an I'd wager it sounds better.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Artman and jumbodbassman like this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’m very familiar with most of what Ampeg has built. Only vaguely remember seeing a Bruce two or maybe three times and have absolutely no recollection of how it sounded. Truth is, most live music back then was cranked extremely loud, so I doubt I could do a fair comparison even if I did remember. So I have no real way of comparing a Bruce to an Ampeg.

So yeah…keep the one that sounds best to your ears, sell the other, and don’t fret about it beyond that.