1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which 6550 power tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by demon666, Oct 14, 2006.

1. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Ok I know another tube question, but I wanted to know which 6550 I should go with. I just picked up an Ampeg SVT-300 power amp(the powewr section from the SVT-II) and it needs a retube. So i'm considering these tubes, Electro Harmonix 6550EH, Tung-Sol 6550, and NOS GE 6550A. I;m lookking for a really nice tube with a nice tight low end. So anybody got any opinions?

2. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    I've heard that for the moment Tung Sol are the best new 6550

3. which are very very similar to the Sovtek KT88. The line between 6550 and KT88 are blurred these days. I wouldn't waste money on NOS GE 6550.... many have said the Sovtek KT88 / Tung Sol 6550 reissue tube trumps them.

4. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Thanks guys

5. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I had EH's in my Sunn 300T, and replaced them with the Tung-Sol's about 2 months ago. I think the Tung-Sols are way better IMO. I dont know how old the EH's were, but the Tung-Sol's sound much fuller and thicker. I would buy them again if that means anything :)

6. Why?

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I'd consider JJ's/Eurotubes KT-88's. I use them in my Bass 400 and I have no complaints. I havent tried out different power tubes in it aside from the stock 6L6's that it came with.

8. The stock tubes in many of those units was a "Philips ECG 6550A", which was just a rebranded Sylvania, but damn, those were nice!!!

9. massrequiem

massrequiem

May 25, 2005
    Oxnard, CA
    I personally favor the EH's. Dont forget to get your head biased!

10. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI

Ok I got it used. It has no balls to it, it distorts with the volume half way its really loose and sluggish sounding. My SVT-CL (which would basically be the same ) kills it in volume and doesn't break up as soon. I'm running a SVP-CL into it ( I've ran it into both the SVT-300 and the SVT-CL so I know it's not that) I've biased the amp since getting it. I'de like to throw a nice set of tubes in it. I've got a few tube amps and this is the first one I feel needs a retube. It's got Groove Tubes in it right now

11. massrequiem

massrequiem

May 25, 2005
    Oxnard, CA
    If you get new tubes you are gonna have to get it biased again unless you match the numbers on the tubes. Just lettin you know. I thought groove tubes were supposed to be nice I guess they probably just old.

12. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    Tubes in a bass amp get quite a pounding, especially if played frequently and at high volumes. 6550's are tough, but like every other tube they will wear out at some point.

13. True, but i always like to point out that my SVT-II was used as a touring amp, when it wasnt toured it was rented out, and that includes being used at big all day festivals, and the power tubes in it lasted 16 years.

14. that's a good run for a used and abused tube head... What did you retube yours with?

15. Svetlana's (6550 C), but that was prior to me knowing much on tube makes.

I soon afterwards found out the Svetlana's can be pretty touchy (poorly made)

Im pretty sure there is something a bit different about the head too, but, it was away for about 2 weeks getting revalved and such (there were a few problems, i got it all checked out incase there was anything else wrong, but it was just a dead power tube).

I was given a chance at some NOS RCA's for a really good price, but, they had gone a bit soft apparently, so i thought best not to go with them.

When i have a chance to revalve, im going to consider JJ's, EH's and Sovtecks.

I know its not needed, but there is a niggling whenever i use the amp, something in the back of my head expects it to die at any moment :( (but its not, seems to be solid!)