1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which 810 do I have?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rich18rich, Apr 14, 2010.

1. rich18rich

rich18rich

Oct 11, 2008
    saco, ME.
    Just picked up an Ampeg 8x10 "fridge". Now, how do I determine which model it is? It's old and has original speakers from the '70's, wheels, bar. It's been customized with a heavy grill and is 100% tolex-free. Do the speakers have serials or is the cab numbered inside somewhere? Anybody? Is it just a matter of looking up the speaker numbers?

HELP!
    BTW $250 cuz I got it with a loose 1/4" input

2. rich18rich

rich18rich

Oct 11, 2008
    saco, ME.
    cud prob use a little soldering,too.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    a few pics would help.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If it's 70s with a towel bar and tilt-back wheels instead of a cart it's the post-74 (or 75/6?) cab. I'm not sure what the year of the transition was, but my 72 is a square-back, and the 73 catalog I have shows square-back cabs. Easiest way to date it would be to pull a speaker and check the date code. It should be a 137XXXX number or a 67XXXX number. The XXXX will give you year and week (YY WW), 137 being CTS and 67 being eminence. The CTS/eminence transition was in the late 70s IIRC.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the ampeg book says the cts/eminence transition and the towel bar design started in 74.

6. rich18rich

rich18rich

Oct 11, 2008
    saco, ME.
    I pulled some speakers and they're Emminence from '76 & '77.(677738)(677614?) I was surprised to find it's 4 2x10's instead of 2 4x10's. I just put on a 1/4" input and a jack plate. Is this the optimum hookup for this cab, excluding speakons? Also, are there speakon addapters that plug straight into 1/4' jacks and are they better than using just a 1/4"?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i'm still using 1/4" jacks on my svt. i'll never change them out. you can get speakon-to-1/4" jacks at any music store if your head uses speakons. i don't think there's as much of a shock hazard with a 300w amp as some of your higher powered amps, and you really can't crank much more than that in those old cabs anyway.

8. rich18rich

rich18rich

Oct 11, 2008
    saco, ME.
    thnx all