1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michelin, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Michelin

Michelin

Apr 30, 2008
    Juneau, AK
    I'm shopping for a $200-$300 bass amp that is quality, will last me, and can produce the widest array of tones/frequencies/sound styles. I don't know much about bass amps, all I know is that I want one with a big enough variety of tone/sound options. I one hour want to play with a high bunch of trebble and have my bass sound crisp and kind of like like a piano, and the next hour I want to be able to have it sound like a low and heavy bass reinforcing rock/metal music.

Being a bass noob, I'd naturally assume that whichever one has the most knobs is best, but I notice that treble, gain, etc. are on some of these but not all and although I don't know what to make of that, I'd assume that means some of them don't have the widest variety of sound options (which is 90% of what I'm looking for).

So, which is the best for what I'm looking for?

Option 1:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MB30-Bass-Amp-Combo?sku=480304
    [Modern>Volume, "Comp"], [Classic>Volume, "Comp"], Bass, Voice Shift, Voice, Treble.

Option 2:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Lowdown-LD15-Modeling-Bass-Combo?sku=500271
    Drive, Bass, Lo-Mid, Hi-Mid, Treble, "Opto Comp", "Smart FX", Master.

Option 3:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482900
    Gain, Volume, Frequency, [Equalizer>Low, Low-Mid, Hi-Mid, High]/

2. Woodyrson

Woodyrson Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Personally, I would go with the Acoustic. 1) It is way more powerful than the others. You should be able to jam with a band with it, whereas, the others would never cut it with drums and a guitarist. 2) In my opinion, all the modeling junk isn't all that useful. With even the most basic of equalizers (which the Acoustic has) you should be able to shape the sound to your liking in any situation. However, the bass guitar you use, the type of pickups that are in it, and how you have the volume, tone, blend, etc. set up on it will also have a large impact on the tone. So, I would definitely go with the Acoustic. Hope this helps. Good luck on the purchase!

3. Of the three Combo's listed I would go with the Acoustic. See if you can find a used Roland Cube 100. Some nice modeling sounds and powerful enough for a Band - Roland Quality.

4. The Acoustic, or look at the Ampeg Combos, alot of guys on TB dont like them, but I think there well built and sound good. Of what you have for options though go with the Acoustic, they sound nice and smooth, and it'll give you enough volume. Line 6 Bass Amps SUCK, they sound bad and are built badly. The Marshall is nice, but for the extra watts the Acoustic is good. Or you could look into a Fender Rumble 60, (the 15 and 25 suck and the 100 is a little above your price).