Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which are your favorite reggae bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sabbath1977, Jan 10, 2004.

1. My favorite bassist is Aston "Familyman" Barrett.For those who doesn't know who is this guy, he was the Bob Marley and The Wailers bassist,producer,arranger and engineer.

HolmeBass likes this.
  2. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    FAMILYMAN

one more for Aston... Firmly in my top three bassists.

HolmeBass likes this.
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Familyman is definitely up there, but IMO gets more than his fair share of press due to his BMW connection.

Some of my faves include: Chris Meredith, Flabba Holt, Lloyd Parks and though not technically reggae, Lloyd Brevetts for the amazing tracks that laid the foundation.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    All of the above. BTW, Horsemouth, who was one of the baddest reggae drummers ever, also played some wicked basslines on some songs.

5. I like Flava Holt's bass lines on the new Israel Vibration cd.Excellent grooves.

6. Flabba is among the greatest but I prefer Robbie Shakespeare,I recomend The Meditations Greatest Hits Album,you won't regret.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Richie Daley from Third World.

8. appler

appler Guest

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Robbie Shakesphere

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Familyman is the Yoda of reggae bass.

One Drop likes this.
  11. ArenW

ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    dont leave out Jackie Jackson and Lloyd Parks.

12. Another excellent bassit is Ronnie McQueen. He used to play with Steel Pulse. Listen him at Steel Pulse's Ultimate Collection.

13. In which band plays or played Jackie Jackson?

14. Robbie Shakespere uses a Thumb5 strung with flatwounds oddly enough. Do see an awful lot of J-basses in the genre.

16. Heeeyyy.....I'e axtually never even heard a Soul Brains record? Any you might stear me toward?

17. Actually, the only album Soul Brains has released is the reunion live at San Francisco.I would like to listen a new studio album,but it's unknown when will be out.I don't even know if they have plans to record an album

[​IMG]

18. ArenW

ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA

He played on several cuts for Toots and the Maytals.