1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which are your favorite reggae bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sabbath1977, Jan 10, 2004.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    same for me. deep groovers :) also whoever played on all Jackie Mittoo's stuff, like get up and get it, hot tamale, hot milk, etc. deep groove there as well.

murphy likes this.
  2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Probably mostly Leroy Sibbles, lead singer in the Heptones, also did a lot of backing vocals at Studio One, and of course laid down some crucial bass lines during those years. Look for Queen of the Minstrels, just a killer line.

The house band at Studio One at that time was the Soul Vendors, they cut some of my favorite riddims and so many great tracks. Other bassists on those tracks would have been Jackie Jackson and others, whoever was available from the pool of musicians that did the rounds of the studios in the day.

murphy and bass12 like this.
  3. OnTheOneBaby

OnTheOneBaby

Sep 4, 2013
    Here's Flabba Holt rocking very cool and calm.

And here's very lively Amlak Tafari never loosing the riddim.

murphy and One Drop like this.
  4. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I saw Flabba with Israel Vibration in a tiny club in Stockholm a few years back, on his Höfner through an SVT Classic. He played with a real light touch and the sound was HUGE. I was less than 5m from his rig.

murphy and jazzyvee like this.
  5. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I met up with Amlak on Monday at a bass seminar that Nathan East was hosting over here.

6. OnTheOneBaby

OnTheOneBaby

Sep 4, 2013
    According to this clip Amlak Tafari seems to be quite a nice person but maybe not a hard-working salesman.

7. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Nathan East - definitely not one of my favourite reggae bassists. :D

One Drop likes this.
  8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Love the guy, but that was just a cliché-fest, reggae in outline only.

9. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, I don't think he could have assembled a less adept rhythm section for reggae if he'd tried. :D

One Drop likes this.
  10. danalogue

danalogue Commercial User

Sep 5, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Bergantino & LaBella Strings endorsing artist
    Val Douglas - currently plays with the skatalites. He wrote and recorded many basslines on Survival and other Bob & the Wailers records. Family man is credited, and is by far one of my favorites, but Val is a MONSTER in his own right. Check him out.

Also Nate Edgar of John Brown's Body and Stu Brooks of Dub Trio play some mean bass lines. Listen to "Plantation" off JBB's newest record.

One Drop likes this.
  11. AndrewFord

AndrewFord

Aug 11, 2012
    Los Angeles area
    Endorsing Artist: Line 6, TC Electronics, Yamaha, Elixir Strings
  12. OnTheOneBaby

OnTheOneBaby

Sep 4, 2013
    Yes, totally hilarious clip. And the band was great,too. Love to be on the scene when Nathan tells Flabba that Flabba's lines are boring, but Nathan is ready to give some pointers how to flourish those boring lines with some jazzy licks.

Gotta warn you that next clips contain more of reggae boredom, but Devon Bradshaw (ex-Burning Spear ) has such a nice tone (both voice and bass).

13. I really like Earl Falconer who played for UB40. Awesome tone out of that Steinberger. Wish I could play as clean and sound as good as he did. I also like Devon Bradshaw of Burning Spear and Axx of Jahpostles. :):cool::bassist:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    One of my favorites, he is responsible for a large part of the bass played on Lee Perry's Black Ark recordings, too.

Brian Atkinson often is credited on Studio One sessions of the same period as Leroy Sibbles, I think he was actually the one who did 'Hot Milk'. Thanks to the poster that name checked him, I'll check out his site later!

Great thread.

15. CharlesRay357

CharlesRay357

Jan 28, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Dennis Bovell, Glen Brownie is wikkid...

16. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I was just watching "Babylon" last night which Bovell did a lot of the music for.

17. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    Phil Chen

18. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Great bassist and producer. One of the guys who put UK reggae on the map in the '70's.

19. 1Drop

1Drop

Jul 31, 2009
    What? No Iron Ryan Newman in this thread? I consider Family Man the godfather of reggae bass like most of us do but Ryan is right up there with him in terms of originality and bringing new ideas to the instrument and genre. Groundation is killing it these days!

20. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Very underrated but my main man, Patrick Waite, from the 80s reggae group, "Musical Youth."
    Gosh he was such a young kid, but his skills on bass were mesmerizing!
    After hearing, "Rub N' Dub," a few years ago (I think I was 13) it made me want to pick up a bass and start jammin' on some heavy riddims!
    Died too soon though, 24 I think! Such a great bass player, very quiet and humble guy!
    R.I.P Patrick!