1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which are your favorite reggae bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sabbath1977, Jan 10, 2004.

1. For some reasons I still don't get, the link in my previous post are wrong.Sorry,don't know what happenned.

[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

indub.

3. Third_World_041.

Richard Daley from Third World

Steel_Pulse_020.

some bassist playing with Steel Pulse,sorry,Don't know his name.

[​IMG]

this is original Steel Pulse bassist,a really good bass player

[​IMG]

Robbie Shakespeare

Wailers_078.

and of course, the Familyman, Aston Barrett from The Wailers

4. Oh jeez man, am all over the BB's and their fascist rasta ethic. I have LOVED their black rock since the early ROIR days. HR is absolutely one of my favourite vocalist of all time; his first solo album is priceless. And yeah, Rasta is patriarchal BS and yer all gonna flame me for it but whatever...sorry.
    Thought Rock for lighjt always to be their "weakest" outing as many of the tunes were available earlier with a much punchier mix. Would love to hear the new remixed version...anyone?
    K....bye.

5. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Great thread!

I definitely agree with what's been posted.

My favorite reggae bass cd (the whole CD through) is

Burning Spear Loving Peace: Burning Spear Live

The bassist is Paul Beckford.

I first heard it during a band meeting outside a club in
    Milwaukee called the Stepping Up Club. For me, it was
    one of those CDs that I HAD to have RIGHT NOW!

Burning Spear live is fantastic! (I mean in person at a live
    show, obviously I think the CD is fantastic.)

HolmeBass likes this.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I saw Peter Tosh at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor around 1984 or so. His band was reeeallly gooood! Such solid grooves. I don't know who the bassist was but, yup he was good.

7. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    Ronnie Queen of Steel Pulse...an absolute monster and all credit to the producers of the Steel Pulse sound.....bass must be recorded well in order that the feel is put back out to the listener.Another favourite more over in the U.K. is Jah Wobble.That said,those are fantastic photographs of solid 'Lords of The low Frequencies' (Stanley Clarke) Stay cool.Fallon.www.7dd.co.uk/~fallon

Miedoz likes this.
  8. Don't forget Jackie Jackson, and most people don't know Heptones vocalist LeRoy Sibbles was an excellent bassist who helped create rock steady and reggae. Check out the book on Hal Leonard by Ed Friedland called "Playing Reggae Bass" it is full of authentic riddims. I am impressed with your list of my heroes!

9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    y'all gonna laugh at me, but the bassist for Big Sugar, Garry Lowe....

[​IMG]

has quite the reggae vibe on many songs.....

Flabba Holt, anyone?

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Jackie Jackson was probably the most recorded electric bassist in Jamaica between the early 60's, until the advent of Leroy Sibbles, Fams, Flabba and Boris Gardiner. He was the main house bassist at Studio One,and at Treasure Island during it's reign as the top Rocksteady studio.Also a Jazz player in the early days, you can catch him playing with Toots nowadays if you're lucky.

Boris Gardiner is another favorite of mine, known more for his role as a bandleader and vocalist in Jamaica. Very solid and funky P player, he's on a lot of Lee Perry recordings from the Ark days.

Lloyd Parkes is another killer fave of mine. He was the original bassist with Sly Dunbar in The Revolutionaries before Sly hooked up with Robbie Shakespeare, and he did a lot of seminal tracks at Channel one from the mid 70's on, and was on most of Dennis Brown's recordings and tours. He tours nowadays with his We The People band, backing up the greats like U-Roy and others. Very melodic player, he's also got a really nice voice, and had a huge hit singing 'Slaving'.

George 'Fully' Fullwood is another great: he and Santa Davis made up the rythm section of one of the greatest units in reggae, The Soul Syndicate. He's still around and touring as well- not to be missed.

I think this thread is marvellous, as these great musicians don't ever get enough credit and really are the lead instrumentalists in Reggae.

Forward the riddim!

HolmeBass likes this.
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    They wrote the book for me.

12. gop_jeff

gop_jeff

Feb 18, 2006
    Puyallup, WA
    Aston Barrett and Robbie Shakespeare.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  13. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    That would be George "Fully" Fulwood. http://www.fullyfullwood.com/
    I sat in with a band that opened for him a couple years back. Nice, humble man, and he actually remembered me next time his band came thru town. Of course that mayhave been partly due to that fact that the first time when he was on stage, his chord crapped out and I threw him mine while the band was still playing!
    They were doing a Peter Tosh Celebration Tour, with Fully on Bass, Tony Chin (another Soul Syndicate mamber)on guitar, and others with Donovan Carless (also from Soul Syndicate) handling vocals.

HolmeBass likes this.
  14. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Aston Barrett (The Wailers), Alvin Ewen ( former bass player for Steel Pulse)

the general likes this.
  15. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I let Family Man use my P Elite II and rig for a show when the truck carrying his gear broke down.

My fave reggae bassist is Daryl Jenifer. Bad Brains got me into reggae.

16. Kamrin

Kamrin

Jun 4, 2014
    Ohio
    Family Man definitely is my fav.

Eric Wilson from sublime also has some pretty solid groovy basslines. Although I dunno if sublime really counts as reggae.

the general and HolmeBass like this.
  17. Fams is one of my favorite bassists period. I also love Robbie and Fully. Anyone remember the Soul Syndicate documentary called "Word, Sound, Power"? What a great movie, a must for reggae lovers.

One Drop likes this.
  18. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Yeah, I've watched Word Sound and Power a million times, too cool. Soul Syndicate could PLAY! Chinna Smith is doing some wonderful things these day, like the Inna De Yard tour and various collaborations.

HolmeBass likes this.
  19. They count as reggae as far as I am concerned! Eric's playing is straight dope, nothing terribly special, but super fresh and powerful. The kind of playing that sounds so awesome that it's disappointing to figure the lines out and you're like, that's it? Definitely not what he does, but how he does it, which is what I think a lot of bass playing is about.

Kamrin likes this.
  20. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    This bass player is Alvin Ewen, he was bass player from very early 80's until mid 2000's when he was replaced by another Birmingham bass player called Amlak Tafari who is also a great player and Carvin Endorsee