1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Bass do you most regret selling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Biffa, Jul 6, 2019.

1. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    I've never sold one.

2. Bassplayer54

Bassplayer54

Mar 29, 2019
    Three, actually, a Gretsch hollow body, a 1974 Rick, stereo, and a 60's Hofner. Darn kid's needed to be fed.

3. roccobass

roccobass Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern California
    :crying::crying:
    My ‘72 Fender Jazz. Maple neck and maple body. Only a picture of it remains.:crying:

4. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    My custom LeFay Midas 5 string. What an amazing bass this was.......

100_3705.JPG

Matthew_84 and mikewalker like this.
  5. 2GodBGlory

2GodBGlory Supporting Member

May 20, 2017
    My '66 Fender P-bass.
    I thought I had quit playing bass forever.
    I was wrong...
    I sure miss that bass!

6. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Hmmm, let's see: An OG Les Paul Signature bass, a '72 P, a '73 Jazz, an older Hofner Beatle Bass, Guild B-50, MM Sting Ray from 1987, A Carvin from around 1980 ish, a Fender bassman 50 head and cab (that was sold from under me when I was deployed) ... I'm sure there are others but I'm crying too much now to remember them all. :bawl:

7. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    I still stand in front of my kicking machine daily over the early Gibson G-3 Grabber w/ lipstick pickups and flawless natural blonde finish, and please don't get me started on the perfect 60s B-15 fliptop I let go.I'm such an idiot!

8. tri2bob

tri2bob

May 5, 2009
    Hickory, NC
    Kenn Smith 6 string. It was just too heavy for doing a 4 hour non stop gig. Should have kept it.

9. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    It's been nearly thirteen years now, but I still regret selling THIS ONE.
    (It was made and sold as a promotional prototype one-off demo model)
    [​IMG]

If somebody here at TB has it, please contact me ... :)
    [​IMG]

10. King Kolon

King Kolon

Jul 15, 2014
    Bassist
    I had a 1984 G&L SB-2. Simple(Precision) Clone. Maple Neck, 22fret, 1 Vol.,1 Tone Controls. But what a Sound and Output!

11. John M Ewers

John M Ewers Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2018
    Forsyth, IL
    F0F1E1CA-D641-43B1-97D3-F541C82B6209. A 1966 Precision. It was refinished black, but otherwise stock. Unfortunately, I don’t have a photo of that one.

Honorable mention is my natural finished flame maple Guild Starfire Bass, made in Westerly Rhode Island.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    roccobass and mikewalker like this.
  12. Sweet looks a little like my NJ Beast that got stolen back in the 80's it was candy apple red had great tone this is the same one I used to have

upload_2019-7-10_13-20-42.

mikewalker likes this.
  13. negriljerry

negriljerry

Jan 17, 2008
    So many. Lifelong guitarist, became basso by accident 23 years ago. Lemme see... There's the (actual vintage) '75 P Bass, paid about $300 and sold for maybe $400 during early 90's, pre vintage inflation. An Ibanez Musician, awesome vintage MIJ. Don't really miss the Epi Thunderbass... Sold my 90's MIJ (Fugigen) Fender P Lyte Deluxe a couple years ago, had such a case of seller's remorse that I reached out and bought it back - for $100 more than sold, played it last night. Bought an Indonesian (3rd tier) Hofner Beatle brand new from a studio guy for $100 (!!!) then decided to sell it for $250 because I had "too many basses" (madness, I know). That ultra light beauty was amazingly well crafted and sounded great. And we old farts play a few Beatles tunes every night...dumb dumb dumb.

14. Bass1969

Bass1969

Dec 29, 2018
    Well, three in all honesty. An early 1956 Precision, two color sunburst. Lindy Fralin rewound the pup to original specs. Never left the house. A 1964 EB-3 with wide pot spacing that sounded great played through and tweaked with a Line 6 Bass Pod. Never left the house. A Rick Turner Model 1 that was featured in Vintage Guitar Magazine in December ‘08. Loved that 32” scale. Talked to Rick Turner for the article written by Willie Moseley. Nice fellow, loads of information. That bass did see a few gigs. But it scared the crap out of me to take it out of the house.

Both kids wanted to go to grad school so all three basses were sold to help them out. If I had kept one, it would have been the Turner.

mikewalker likes this.
  15. jimiwhite

jimiwhite

Jul 8, 2003
    Fender Deluxe P, natural finish. rosewood board and J neck. You know the one with double J pups in the bridge position.

16. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    1980 Ibanez Studio 8-string. Sold in 2003 (back to Atomic Music in Maryland) to pay down an American Express card. If I'd known the eventual state of that credit card balance, I'd have held onto the bass. It didn't even make a dent, historically speaking.

17. IMG_0021.JPG

My Squier VM Fretless with a Mighty Mite unlined ebonol neck, Lindy Fralin PUs, and upgraded electronics. I poured a lot of money into her and she sounded beautiful.

I got annoyed of metal strings leaving white marks on the board and I kept sanding it down to get rid of them. Eventually decided to sell it and buy a Fretless Warwick Rockbass with real ebony thinking it would be an upgrade, but the tone wasn’t the same and I was disappointed.

Of course, Labella expanded their tapewound varieties like a month after this happened too. I hated the tone of the black ones but think I would have loved the white ones on this Squier.

Oh well, got a Ibanez SRF705 now which is way better at producing the current tone I’m looking for. This bass was great for that singing roundwound tone though.

roccobass and mikewalker like this.
  18. Roger Blackman

Roger Blackman

Mar 19, 2018
    This thead is so full of regrets and I wish I'ds it makes me sad......so here's my take on it. I wish I'd never got rid of my early 70s Mustang because in 1990 I managed to stick my left hand in a table saw. Totally mashed it up losing middle 2 fingers to the knuckle and the only joint that works is the index finger. So I decided I couldn't play anymore and sold my '62 P for £500. 2 years ago I discovered U basses and started playing again. After a lot of practice I can now play a short scale MIC jazz bass and I'm in 3 bands! So if only I'd known, I would never have sold that Mustang.......

HD007 likes this.
  19. litom

litom

Oct 5, 2015
    68 p

20. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Lakland Joe Osborn 045.

Attached Files: