1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass for extreme (heat) conditions?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jaygetsreal, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Picture Australia, January, outdoor gig. I need to hire a DB for ten upcoming outdoor gigs. But here's the thing, January is the hottest month of the year and gigs will be at the hottest time of day (late afternoon). We sometimes get over 40C (105F). We will only have a basic marquee and no aircon. So here's the question; what sort of bass construction/material would be the most resilient, and have the least tuning issues in these kind of conditions? Solid, ply, etc.
    Would value any advice from the TB community.

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm assuming it's not a classical gig, so.... electric upright or at best a laminate?

carl h. and Tom Lane like this.
  3. Yes I should have said, it's straight jazz. Acoustic only.
    So laminate...thanks I will bear that in mind.

4. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    equill likes this.
  5. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    And then there's this, local to Oz...

AliKat Double Bass

These are probably leaning towards rockabilly/psychobilly... As far as using an aluminum double bass for jazz, I don't hesitate to use my Alcoa for it, it all depends on playing style, setup, strings and amplification.

6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
  7. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    My laminate bass has survived summer outdoor gigs in tbe Sydney region with no ill effects, with temperatures in the mid 30Cs. Avoiding direct sunlight on those days is bit of a must.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  8. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    I drag my old solid french bass around Sydney for outdoor gigs all the time with no issue... but avoid direct sunlight always..

lrhbass, Chris Fitzgerald and Dabndug like this.
  9. Aluminium would survive the heat, but would you survive contact with the aluminium in that weather?

10. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    Anyone want a grilled cheese on set break?

11. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    That depends on how it is finished, if at all. I live in a low elevation near-desert area about 70 miles from the Pacific, so during the summer I have high temps and low humidity; it's not unusual to have temps over 110F and humidity below 15%. My Alcoa has been powder-coated an aluminum color and it doesn't get difficult to touch in summer hot sun. On the other hand, I have an aluminum-bodied "Rudy" squareneck Dobro from the late 1960 Mossrite factory which has had all the paint chipped off of it, so the body is raw aluminum; it gets so hot I cannot touch it in the summer sun. So as suggested, it depends...

Btw, I've seen some nice high-end Martin dreadnought guitars have their glue loosen and their center-seams open up while being played in direct summer sunlight, so direct heat like that is very important to consider for wood instruments.

And of course, the other question is if you or your audience wants to be out there playing in those conditions... I tend to want to be hiding out in an air conditioned environment during the heat of the day.

unbrokenchain and equill like this.
  12. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Plywood, in the shade...
    And, try and keep your hands/fingers dry. Wet fingers + steel strings can result in mangled calluses.

You also may want to consider one of these:

orange-commercial-electric-industrial-fans-bf42bdce-64_1000.jpg

Dabndug likes this.
  13. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    105F isn't unusual in Phoenix summers. Direct sun will toast anything under those conditions, but the bass won't fall apart.

marcox and Dabndug like this.