1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass should I get?? Thread No. 5349920222332

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twdavis13, Oct 11, 2009.

1. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    I'll make it real short and simple, because I feel like a moron posting these types of threads, but here goes:bag:

For being in a 3 piece band where the bass will be very upfront, I want to have a rocking sound that is very deep and low, but kind of has some high end grit or sparkle to it.

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

:oops:

2. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    For that I would go with a spector. I think Pantera is a great example of that situation and it is what I use when confronted with this. My other bass is a bart equiped Lull.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think the looks of the T-bird suck less.

4. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    Get a bass that balances properly.

5. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    Ok, so you two just basically negated each other, because the T-Bird Definitely looks less sucky, but it probably still has the neck dive issues.

6. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    What's funny is that I think the Iceman looks less sucky....

Both will most likely give you neck dive issues, because of the non-existent upperhorn. I had a T-bird for a few months, but eventually got sick of having to support it (had to deal with the dive even with a good grippy strap...it would just pull my shirt further off my shoulder).

7. fender jazz bass, never fails

8. Neither of those. Get a Jazz or a P.

9. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    scratch the ice man and go for an SRX they balance like a dream.

10. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    i've played the vintagey sunburst iceman with mini buckers and it plays well with good craftsmanship... so if that holds up for the black one... i'd say go for that one.
    but epi t birds are decent too

11. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    bump

12. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    A Gene Simmons Axe.

No seriously, find one that is best for you. If you want low end grunt but with some sparkle, Spector might be your best choice. That or Schecter (if you really want to switch out the pickups; personally I find the EMG-HZs to be fine for what they are). Ibanez SRs and SRXs are also good candidates.

Or you can go with a Jazz or Precision. If you are going for a Jazz, try out the Jazz 24. I played one and I found it awesome.

13. DBTOYS

DBTOYS Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    A Black P Base American made change the pic guard

14. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Of those two, I'd go for the Iceman, although they're both very cool basses.

My own choice for that sort of sound requirement and band environment would be a Schecter C-4 Hellraiser or Stiletto Studio 4. Or, you could go really out-there and get a Studio 8! Great for filling out the sound in a 3-piece band.

15. McSpunckle

McSpunckle

Feb 15, 2008
    I'd go with the Thunderbird, but only based on looks (I love Icemans too).

They both probably will neck dive. For some people that's a huge problem. For others it's not. Personally, I think it's a bit rude to offer nothing but "Ewww! Neck dive! That's a horrible bass!", 'cause that's simply not the case. It's just a downside of those shapes. (Nobody said those exact words, I know)

I've never played either of those, but based on experience with the companies, I'm going to assume I'd enjoy the feel of the Epiphone more. If the active Iceman is the same as the standard one, the neck is fairly large, and I found it to be a bit slow-feeling. I feel that way about a lot of satin neck basses until they're "broken-in", though.

Given your description, though, I think the Ibanez might be a better choice in sound. Again, just based on experience with the companies, and not those actual basses.

16. NoSuchSol

NoSuchSol

Aug 28, 2009
    I'm no expert on what to get, but the Thunderbird is a good looking guitar. In searching around, I've become an Ibanez fan. Go figure.

The Thunderbird is a decent sized bass with a 1.75" width at the nut. My Vega is a little less than that, and I'm searching for something a little thinner. Again, personal preference.

Go play both, see what they do for you and pick it up.

17. of those two, the iceman. you will not be upfront with a t-bird, sorry.

a used Warwick, Fender, Spector, or Ibanez would be nice. try to get past looks, if you move on the stage, nobody will care what bass you have except you.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You are correct, sir.

19. if its those 2,get the t bird,the iceman is more of an aesthetic kind of bass,its just like the jtk but with different pickups,the new t bird is way better,its way more solid with bettere electronics,but modification is usually a must,im looking into an iceman myself but that just because im stubborn but dont be like me buy the better bass

20. +1 for Jazz bass..maybe an active one would be good for you