1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by YoungSlappa, May 13, 2010.

1. YoungSlappa

YoungSlappa

Jan 2, 2010
    Stow, Ohio
    :help:
    Three basses that looked good and were not to highly priced. Which would you recomend. Or if you think something else under $700 would be better I am trying to find a metal bass.

B.C. Rich Heritage Classic Mockingbird Bass

Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4-String Electric Bass Guitar

B.C. Rich Celtic Virgo Bass

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    What's wrong with your Ibanez?

3. thelostuba

thelostuba Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Go with the warwick, even the rockbass makes the bc rich look like a toy

4. GugaBass

GugaBass

May 8, 2010
    I love the Celtic Virgo Bass ... But a friend has this one. Good sound but I can't tell anything about the Pickups, he took extra ones... Dunlop If I've no memory problems ...

Anyway, I'm not very fan of Warwick ...

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    play them and decide - don't buy them based on how "cool" they look.

6. GugaBass

GugaBass

May 8, 2010
    I agree with what you say ... But we must know in some cities (like mine ) you can't find LTD, Warwick, Schecter or BC Rich ..

Try on finding this ones on Youtube maybe ? You could hear what you will have with them

7. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    +1

8. Fender Jazz.

9. GugaBass

GugaBass

May 8, 2010
    He looking for a "metal" bass not a "Slapmachine", u know

10. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I play metal through an active Jazz. Sounds good !

11. King Of Suede

King Of Suede

Jun 16, 2009
    =O Dangit dude, if you made this thread like 4 days earlier, I'd have told you to buy my LTD MD-500. Woulda sold it in great condition for $350. Probably would have thrown in a hard shell with that too.
    If you find one of them, I played in a thrash metal band for 4 years and it sounded great and I got so many compliments on the unique color and shape of it.

Anyways, not too familiar with those basses but from my personal experience, I never really liked the sound of BC Rich's and never really played a WarWick I liked. That being said, the WarWick is probably your best bet out of that bunch IMTNO (In My Terribly Naive Opinion)?

12. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I say the Mockingbird just because of this: ;).

Jazzes suit metal just fine btw. And as far as looks go in the metal playing scene: if a bass looks cool to you, then it will most likely fit in the picture.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    personally, I dont think ANY of those basses are pointy enough for Metal

14. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    There are only three company options for metal basses:

1) Musicman Stingray (I have one for sale w/ OHSC if you're interested)
    2) Spector
    3) Warwick Thumb or Streamer

15. Egad, here we go again. :D

16. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    And now you see why threads like these are useless - recommendations with no explanations or reasoning behind them:

There is no best bass for metal. If there was, everyone would be using the same thing, and they're not. You're Ibanez is perfectly suited to do the job.

17. i know.

18. :rolleyes:

no, threads like this are useless because people want others to decide what bass they should get without doing any research.

19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The bc rich neckthru warlock or widow. Wont have the odd fit to body mockingbirds can give and better then the celtic virgo whose rear cutout is useless. On the warlock and widow the rear cutout allows for stradling leg nicely. The standard warlock and widow uses P neck and bridge pups. or the Paolo Gregoletto warlock if preferring humbucker pups and white finish is ok with you. Reg warlock of course is black with black hardware.

The warwick rockbass vampyre is fairly good too. But not as many useful voiceings from pup blending and eq imo.

20. YoungSlappa

YoungSlappa

Jan 2, 2010
    Stow, Ohio
    everybody who keep sayin my Ibanez is fine, I'm lookin for a 4 string instead of a 5 plus i sold my Austin and i'm selling the squier to get a better bass. We have multiple tunings in my new band and I need a second bass.