1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which big muff sounds best with a bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Retranslator, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Retranslator

Retranslator

Feb 1, 2011
    Tried several Big muff pedals: 1) newly made guitar ehx big muff pi, 2) ehx green bass P and 3) a copy of Russian black one. Both doesn't sound dense enough in a mix, though a copy of black Russian sounds really nice if played solo. If anybody knows any boutiques, that sound good and don't get lost in a mix, I'd be grateful for help. BTW about 2 years ago I had deluxe 80s big muff and that sounded awesome, but sold it as I didn't use it and wanted something more compact on the bord =/

AlastairWatts likes this.
  2. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Mar 25, 2012
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    I like my Black Russian, but I blend clean with it to help punch through the mix. If I were you, I'd give a blender a try.

3. Rob Fossil

Rob Fossil

Jul 24, 2011
    Northeast, USA
    Currently, I use a Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh. If you want dense, this pedal will do it. I play in a very loud, heavy rock band and have no problem being heard in the mix. Other muff variants you may want to look into:

Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B
    Earthbound Audio Supercollider
    Earthquaker Devices Hoof
    Blackout Effectors Musket

There are plenty of others but I tried to stay in the under $200 range. Happy hunting!

AlastairWatts likes this.
  4. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

Jan 20, 2011
    Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian
    Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz V2
    Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz

You could always try to put a Tube-Screamer-like OD infront of the fuzz. My MXR GT-OD infront of a Tall Font Russian sounds killer and cuts through a mix very well, imo.

5. Retranslator

Retranslator

Feb 1, 2011
    Yep, I tried to put a Mad prof bass OD in front of the black-russian clone and in cuts through better, but want same cut through in one pedal :) Musket, hoof and pharaoh sound pretty interesting on demos..

6. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

Jan 20, 2011
    The musket is crazy versatile with it's Mids and Focus pots. The Pre pot also defeats having an OD infront of the Muff, more or less. You can get most Muff sounds out of this box.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Give the EHX Big Bass Muff a fair shot. Hear me out now.

You can pick them up for $50 and sell for the same, so what have you got to lose?

Now here's the thing about the BBM...some folks will tell you that even though it has a clean blend, they do not blend well and there is a volume increase because there is no level control on the blend. Well let me tell you, those people are right.

Hold on though...here's the secret...go into the BBM with an overdrive pedal, something that has tons of bottom end and a level control like a Hardwire Tube Overdrive. INCREDIBLE! It's a totally different animal. You can pick both pedals up for $120-ish. BBM + a good overdrive is like magic, seriously. I'd love to compare this setup to a Pickle Pie B, though...but it costs quite a bit more than these two together.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've got both a Blackout Musket and a Pickle Pie B on my board and they are both awesome. I think the Musket is a little more versatile overall, but the PPB is awesome as well and has the blend knob on it so you can really dial in different amounts of fuzz going into your rig. It's pretty cool.

For inexpensive EHX pedals, I prefer the Black Russian over the new/newer US and Bass versions.

9. I've heard this suggestion before from others but I'm not sure which overdrive I should opt for. How well would you say a Boss ODB-3 will fair with the BBM?

10. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'm not a big Boss fan :)

I like the Hardwire because it has separate controls for level, bass, treble, and gain. Very tweakable and can be had for $60.

11. peddles

peddles

Sep 5, 2011
    Palm Coast
    The tall font green russian big muff is the best for me, tons retains low end and it's super thick fuzz. I also use the bass big muff but in a totally different situation. It used to be my only dirt pedal and I think I got around pretty well on just that alone.

12. Cheers for that. I'll see if I can hunt down some sound demos of it. I'm not overly keen on the ODB-3 either as an overdrive (sounds too harsh to be an overdrive...teeters on the verge of being an all-out distortion imo) but it just so happens to be the cheapest one I can find locally haha.

13. Richard Sabines

Richard Sabines

Sep 25, 2007

nice tip,
    what pedal is going first mmbongo? the overdrive or the BBM? and how do you set them fot better results?

14. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My two favorite:

Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B - awesome for its clean blend
    Fuzzrocious Grey Stache - awesome for its diode switches and mid control

Both Muff clones, but both have very different tones (with Pickle Pie at full wet blend). Any fuzz is subjective, but to me both fuzz tones sound really good, and I choose based on the features that I listed. Currently the PPB is on the board due to blend features, and Grey Stache is on guitar duty bringing the sludge.

15. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    I have the Bass Big Muff and Musket. The musket is obviously a lot more interesting and versatile than the BBM and does cut better un-blended (it can also blend just fine by using a Boss LS-2), but, in my experience, unless you push the volume way up, a muff will always be kinda buried in a dense mix. Of course, this is true for fuzz in general, but I find it's even more evident with muffs. Even if you blend, the part that will be cutting through will be your clean sound, not the distortion, obviously, so it kinda defeats the point. I'd still like to try the Pickle Pie B, but I'm not sure I want to invest more money into yet another muff.

16. Argali

Argali

Aug 19, 2008
    This man speaks wisdom. The Hardwire pedals are amazing and far surpass their Boss counterparts in terms of tone and value.

17. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Overdrive into the BBM. I didn't change the overdrive to do anything special with the BBM, I just keep it set how I normally use it. Gain about halfway, bass and treble both boosted. All I really adjust on the BBM is the fuzz level. The BBM is kinda like hot fudge on the ice cream. Not much use alone, but transforms the main dish into something spectaular :)

The Hardwire overdrive is also nice for this because it has a ton of midrange, and the BBM has a big mid scoop, so they go great together.

18. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  19. This is brilliant! Thanks a load for the clips mmbongo. That Hardwire/BBM tone is pretty damn gnarly and pretty close to what I'm after. I know what my next purchase is going to be now.

20. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Grey stache... Or anything with a mid control.