1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which DI?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by OriginalCrash, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Raidal JDV

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. Radial J48

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Radial JDI

23 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. Countryman Associates Type 85

7 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. ART PDB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ART X Direct

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. ART Z Direct

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Whirlwind Direct-JT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Whirlwind Hotbox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Whirlwind Director

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Whirlwind Imp 2

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  12. Whirlwind EDB1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Avalon U5

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  14. Summit Audio TD-100

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  15. PreSonus TubePre

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  16. Aguilar DB 900

7 vote(s)
    6.2%
  17. Ampeg SVTDI

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  18. Sadowsky Bass Preamp/DI

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  19. Tech 21 NYC SansAmp Bass Driver DI

34 vote(s)
    30.1%
  1. This is just out of curiosity... Which direct box do you use? This could be for live or studio use... And feel free to share why, though this is more just to see who's using what than to get opinions about the different boxes.

Brian

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I haven't used all those listed, but I have used a few. I had an Avalon U5 and that would be my top choice...except for the size and weight. The Radial JDI (my choice) sounds REALLY good and it's way easier to take with you, it's passive, has a Jensen transformer, and is solid as a rock.

I'm not a fan of the BDDI. Whirlwind is fine. Many like the Countryman 85. I haven't used one.

Some of the DI's listed here have some tone control as well. I guess for me, a DI is just that, a DI. Tone control comes by way of a preamp or head. A DI is for getting a nice flat signal to the FOH.

3. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I use the radial JDI just because its simple, small, and sounds really good in every situation I've used it in. I've recorded with and played live with it. The other I've used up there and really liked was the avalon. I recorded one song with it, and my bass sounded really nice, and it looked very well made and was easy to use as well.

Dan

4. Yeah, I included the preamps because some people (especially in live use... myself included) may just use the included direct out instead of using an additional DI.

Brian

5. Darn, I didn't see any of my usual DI's on your list: Eclair Engineering Evil Twin, A Designs REDDI or the Littlelabs DI.

of those you've listed, though, I usually go for the Radial.

6. well i cant really vote in this as i use the DI thats built onto my GK amp.

7. shifter

shifter

Jul 10, 2006
    somewhere else

Not that there's anything wrong with the list but two of the DI's you have mentioned here are another whole step up IMO.

Nice to see

8. Just a little Monday morning bump...

Brian

9. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    A Designs REDDI tube DI

10. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I have a Tech 21 BDDI. I would like to try out a Radial sometime though.

11. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    carrots.

EDIT: presonus tube preamp

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm bumping this thread for more info

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    I use a Countryman.

14. workhard

workhard

Sep 16, 2004
    does it for me for recording, but live I tend to use my Sans Amp BDDI

15. Hi

I am considering buying a passive JDI for my Bass. I have on equestion - our mixer applies phantom power globally across all channels - I know the JDI is passive and so does not need this power, but I cannot turn the pahntom send off at the mixer. My question is - will sending phantom power to the passive JDI damage it, or will it reject the phantom power safely?

THanks

16. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    No, it will not damage it. If something doesn't need phantom power, it does not take it. It's not so much that the mixer sends phantom power, it's like it's there, if something needs/wants it, it'll go get it, if something doesn't need/want it, it'll ignore it. Make sense? I hope so.

17. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I have a quick question for the JDI supporters...

How does it do with passive basses? I'm considering a JDI and a lot of the work I do is with a Fender P.

18. I LOVE my U5!!!! I use it in my recording rig because it takes my signal and doesn't seem to color it, although I recently sold my SansAmp and may get another one to get the SVT-ish tone going, but then again plug-ins such as Amplitube 2 wotk great. I think getting a clean tone into you DAW/recording unit is key to getting good tone. :D

19. That's next!!! I've heard killer recordings done with the REDDI.

20. bkeating

bkeating

Feb 16, 2007
    Washington DC
    have you guys seen the article in this months bass player magazine about the Sigma Sound Studio's DI? they say that not only are just 50 being made, but he is building them in batches of 10 and personally matching each box with the original to make sure the sound is dead on.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021