1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Which DI?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by OriginalCrash, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Raidal JDV

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. Radial J48

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Radial JDI

23 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. Countryman Associates Type 85

7 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. ART PDB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ART X Direct

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. ART Z Direct

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Whirlwind Direct-JT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Whirlwind Hotbox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Whirlwind Director

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Whirlwind Imp 2

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  12. Whirlwind EDB1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Avalon U5

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  14. Summit Audio TD-100

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  15. PreSonus TubePre

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  16. Aguilar DB 900

7 vote(s)
    6.2%
  17. Ampeg SVTDI

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  18. Sadowsky Bass Preamp/DI

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  19. Tech 21 NYC SansAmp Bass Driver DI

34 vote(s)
    30.1%
  1. It does just fine with a passive bass. Remember that most of the Motown bass tracks were recorded with a P Bass plugged into a passive DI (actually, it was simply a UTC transformer put into a little box).

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Demeter VTDB2; Avalon U5; REDDI.....
    That's my list.

Max

3. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    It does just fine. The only thing my Countryman can do that my JDI can't is handle piezo pickups. That's the only reason it got the nod from me in this poll. Both of those DIs are at the top of my list.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm digging the DI out of my EBS Microbass II a lot. A bit of overkill if all you want is a DI, though. Out of the ones I've tried, I dig the Radial, Countryman, Avalon, Summit, and PreSonus. I don't like the Whirlwind and the SansAmp. Although I've used both and been able to get a good enough sound, they're not my favorites.

But quite honestly, it really doesn't matter. I've gotten absolutely great recordings of bass tracks with a Whirlwind Imp2. What's important is the quality of the performance. But if you can afford it, it certainly doesn't hurt to have an expensive one.

5. My DI is not listed….:( I use the DI built into my Zoom B2.1u … I used to use the DI from my Laney Amp, but I discovered that it was a DI off the input (not selectable)…so I moved "upstream" to my Zoom…here I have the option of pre and post effect, plus a ground lift ...works for me...I get no complaints from the soundman, so works for him, too...

6. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I use the JDI for live work because it sounds great, it's passive and built very tough. I can go to a gig without an amp but never without my JDI.

For recording I use the Aguilar DB900 which sounds slightly better than the JDI. Fatter low-end and extended treble response. However, those slight differences doesn't justify using that big (and more fragile) box for live shows. Nobody would hear a difference.

On certain occasions, I've also used Radial J48 and the BSS (model?) at the soundmen's request with excellent results.

I'd still really love to try the REDDI and the TD-100...

The winner for me is still the JDI, in case someone is looking for a good DI, simple and that doesn't cost that much.

7. GKM

GKM

Jun 18, 2007
    I LOVE the A Designs REDDI!!!! It works great with both electric and upright basses!!!!

8. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    So, what IS your question?

My favorite DI? - well, it kinda' depends on a lot of variables. What instrument? Active or passive (if it's a bass)? Who's playing it? Am I looking for "punch"? Or is the part more "melodic", or "lyrical"?

Which direct box do I use? Lots! (BTW, why doesn't the poll allow multiple answers?) Countryman Associates Type 85, Whirlwind Hotbox, mid-70's "FETBOX" (limited edition custom-built), Whirlwind Director, Whirlwind Imp 2, Radial JDI, homemade DI made from Jensen DB-E, homemade DI made from Jensen DB-D, homemade DI made from Jensen 13K7 . . . PLUS all of the "instrument in" preamps at the studio - Focusrite model 7, Manley VoxBox, AMEK/R. Neve 9098 modules, Avalon U5, Aphex tube dual mic pre, GrooveTubes tube DI, etc

9. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Just a note for budding home recordists, this is true for everything except many ribbon microphones.

--

I have been playing live with my band just plugging in to the little vlz pro board and setting the gain a little towards the mic range. Seems to work great with my steinberger spirit. Not so much with my other basses.

I'm sure this breaks a million rules, but it does get a certain cutting tone out of the fretless. Recording, the electric can go right into my Firepod, no problems.

So carrots it is.

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    I really like my Summit TD-100. I also have a Countryman.

11. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I'm just trying a new DI box that I just got.... I haven't tracked with it yet, maybe tonight at the gig I'll get some tracking done as well as a taste for the 'live' results. It's the Millennia TD-1. I really like the Tube signal path over the Solid State so far. The tube path just offers more dynamics and response to my touch. Although the SS path is great, it doesn't offer the same breath as the tube path. With 8 simultaneous outputs, hooking this up to meet your needs should be a snap.

So far so good and from what I can tell it's built like a Sherman tank!!!

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    JDI! hard to beat for the value and the sound. Very clean, very linear, the Jensen transformer sounds great. It also works as a re-amp device, or mic-to-line transformer, or an amp level to another amp device.

13. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I've heard nothing but fantastic things on the Millennia products in the studio. I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on your live results.

Can you blend the channels on the TD-1? A 75/25 mix might be really interesting.

14. Pako

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I'll report my findings after the gig tonight.....

You can blend the channels IF you had a Y-cable and a second TD-1. :)

15. Pako

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Well, I gotta say....for live and for tracking, the TD-1 provides me all the tube goodness with all the clarity my Solid State rigs give me. For live, I have that tube dynamic vibe going on. Band members described it as clear, full, more present in the mix without being too loud. In the recording, I experienced the same results. I can finally get the tone I've often gotten live to translate in the recording as well. Recordings in the past always sounded thin and almost sterile. Still have to mess with it. The only complaint so far with this is the output is really hot. Not sure in the transformer circuit output will offer a lower signal....we'll have to see....

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

This is not true for the DI out of many bass heads, though. Plenty of bass heads will fry if you connect them to phantom power as they aren't transformer coupled.

For example:

17. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Do you know the deal on the LMII (Little Mark II by MarkBass)? Will it fry if I connect it to a Phantom Power sending input?

18. I asked the same question to Markbass, and got the reply below:

"Dear Chris,

Let me start by thanking you for contacting us and congratulations on your choice in Little Mark II Markbass head.

Also for the LMII You can use the D.I. even if the mixer applies the phantom to all the XLR channels without damaging the unity.

Have a best New Year 2007 full of music happily powered by Markbass.

TY once again,

Riccardo Damiani

Markbass Online Customer Service

[email protected]"

I have done this, and it is fine, as advised by Markbass themselves.

19. haloonpc

haloonpc

Jan 7, 2007
    Laredo, Tx
    Dude call me ignorant but to me all DI boxes are the same lol... But yeah either way my Line 6 LowDown LD 150 has one built-in

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021