Which Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by aquablue, Apr 18, 2005.

Which Do You Prefer...

Poll closed Apr 18, 2006.
  1. Tablature

6 vote(s)
  2. Notation

22 vote(s)
  1. aquablue

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami, Florida
    Comment on your vote (if you wish).
  2. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    both have pitch, only one has rhythm, dynamics, and articulation as well as hundred of years of refinement.

3. tablature if rhythm is written
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Notation because I can't visualize harmonies and chordal stacking with tab.
  5. Agent000

Jan 23, 2005
    Tab because I have a hell of time reading notation. Just need practice I guess.
  6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Given both in front of me at the same time: notation.
    When I need to find something QUICK: tab.
    When I can't find the notation: tab and by ear
    When I'm in no hurry and just playing: ear.

7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll take a lead sheet anytime. More freedom.

BUT out of the two notation is much better IMO, as it provides rhythm, pitch, dynamics, etc.
  8. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    tabs for now because I am slow to read notation. I love powertabs because it shows me both tabs and notation with the dynamics so I can learn notation while making sure I am getting it all right
  9. I voted for notation - because I've read it almost my whole life so it's easy for me, and as others mentioned, it includes everything (dynamics, rhythm, etc.).

Tab is good for grabbing something off the 'net when I'm trying to learn by ear and having a hard time with certain parts.
  10. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Tab is good in situations when you need exact fingerings and harmonics to play a piece correctly. "Portrait of Tracy" would be difficult in the extreme to read as notation. However, this is pretty friggin' exceptional and 99% of the time, notation is a far better choice. It also has the benefit of enabling you to communicate with other musicians besides bass/guitar players.
  11. burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    I prefer tab, but I'm wanting to change over to notation. Actually getting the stuff without buying books is hard though (and books usually include tablature, which I always end up glancing at).

While notation does have extra details on it, it doesn't tell you where to play notes, which can be tricky at times, though I guess that comes with practise. Also, harmonics are weird with notation, I need to work out how to find their note value. Either that, or Victor Wooten wrote his stuff out wrong.
  12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Tabs are practically useless to me. Rhythm is as important as pitches and you can't find rhytmic info on tabs. I only use them when I want a "second opinion" on fingerings.