1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

which effects for a sub machine

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nomadhang, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Hey everyone. I currently run the ampeg PF-350 into a GK 4x10, Lakland 55-01, EHX Q Balls, and the Line 6 bass pod xt. I use a patch in the bass pod called "sub machine" and then send the signal through the q balls with some minor enveloping to beef up the tone. I like the sub bass muffled sound that the bass pod gives me but I just can't help but think if I buy some nice analog pedals or something to give me this same tone it would sound better. I am here to ask for suggestions on pedals to get to give me that sub bass tone i'm looking for. I am thinking a compressor and maybe something like the bbe sonic maximizer, ??? I'm looking for stomp boxes and my price ranges from 50-200 per pedal. I'm just not sure where to go from here except to ask so any help would be appreciated and thanks.

2. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Take a look at the Iron Ether Xerograph, much loved on TB. The Deluxe is what I'd suggest, a little over your budget but the Deluxe has an envelope follower built in so might be able to knock the Q-balls off your board while still giving you a good dubby sub-bass.

3. Hey, I checked out the ether xerograph and wow that pedal looks and sounds amazing. So versatile and just overall good. I am however looking for maybe a cheaper route, keep in mine I already have the q balls for envelope stuff and am looking for some other things to add to my effects to tweak tone towards that dubby sub sound. Any other suggestions? Great tip on the xerograph it's amazing.

4. Hey all, I'm thinking of getting the bbe sonic stomp and the bbe opto stomp, so what would my effects chain be missing? I am new to the world of bass effects but am intrigued by shaping my tone and getting some cool effects going, I'm not that interested in chorus/flange/delays right now just the boxes that will give me the punch and the dub sounds.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Can you post a clip of the 'sub machine'?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You do not want either a compressor or a "maximizer/enhancer", at least not for the meat of what you are trying to achieve. You want a resonant filter that does not sweep, like an envelope filter with the sensitivity set to zero. The classic example for cheap is the old 2-knob DOD FX25.

7. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Why not just use what you already have? The Q-balls can do some great really deep dub tones by putting it in LPF mode, blend fully CW, and setting both the start and stop times really low.

8. Ok I think I get it now. I will try and dial in a nice dub tone with the q balls alone. I am a little obsessed with tone so I will probably be buying one of the bbe pedals just to see what happens.