1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Fender to keep? Having trouble deciding..See pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FishDub, Nov 8, 2019.

1. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Ok so this is NOT a for sale post:
    My amp is on the fritz yet again and so Its time for the new amp soon so please don't say "keep both" :laugh:..
    I enjoy playing these both equally, both sound and feel great and really hard to find.

-1985 Fender Jazz Special, all original and sought after painted neck. OR
    -Squier Classic vibe precision that has a Fender 58 vintage pickup in it.

This is tough so please help!!
    Thanks
    p1.
    japan.

bassbooty and TonyP- like this.
  2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Standard TB Answer --> Keep both and buy one more :)

That is a really tough call for sure, but if it were me and they both sound and feel great and absolutely had to get rid of one of them, I would keep that gray one

3. If that Jazz Special is active, that would be my call.

In fact, even if it's passive, I'd tend to favor it if the Jazz rail actually contributes tonally in a useful way.

Ggaa, Plucky The Bassist and FishDub like this.
  4. Which plays better? Which sounds better? What else is in your stable?

looks is easy, keep the Squier :woot:

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Keep the P.

6. The Squier looks better - but it's much newer, and I'd wager much easier to replace in future. It'll likely cost you more than you paid for it, but they're around.

If the Special is sought after, as you say, and all original, and nearly 35 years old, that's a no brainer IMO. If you like it and play it, keep it.

What would I do if I loved both equally? I'd get a new amp on 0% finance, pay a little off every month, and keep the basses I love. But that's just me.

7. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have a Squier CV 60s P identical to the one pictured. I've upgraded the electronics, but not the pickup. The original sounds great to me. It is one of my favorite basses. That is the one I'd keep.

pbassnut and FishDub like this.
  8. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Its passive but really sounds kinda active..The jazz pickup adds some bite for sure when both pups are on but alone its not that great..

electracoyote likes this.
  9. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I may just charge the amp and say screw it, and keep both lol

10. I tend to gravitate toward active P/J's, but it sounds like your passive P/J has that extra something special going for it. My gut says keep that over a fairly standard Precision, but of course that is based on my playing experiences and preferences.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    FishDub likes this.
  11. Jazz Special gets my vote, but I'd keep the pickup from the Squier, you never get the full value of mods when you sell :thumbsup:

12. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Keep the one you like the most. Or both!

FishDub likes this.
  13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That is what I would do. You would regret letting go of a bass you really like. Either would be hard to replace if you wanted to. Surprisingly, there are not a lot of Squier CV 60s Ps out there.

MoeTown1986 and FishDub like this.
  14. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Finance the amp purchase and spin it as "building your credit". Vive la capital!

swink, LessIsLess, mikewalker and 4 others like this.
  15. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    That's true but luckily I have the original:)

Wisebass likes this.
  16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Squier is worth much less than the Fender and would be easier to replace later. So, keep the Fender.

17. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    agreed, if both feel good to you keep the Fender as the value will rise

FishDub likes this.
  18. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Definitely keep the Fender JBS.

No question.

19. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    Straight logic says keep the more rare/harder to replace one, which would be the Jazz Special. In 3 years you can replace the P, including the pickup, pretty easily, if you decide you want it back, but that Jazz would be "The one I should never have let get away" in your future posts.

When confronted by a decision like this I "try on" the options and see how I feel. Spend a day or two acting as if you sold the P - put it in a closet that you don't go in. Out of sight, out of mind. So you just have the Jazz Special - it's all you can play, all you can see, it's the only one you have. How do you feel with that decision? Then reverse it - hide the Jazz, how do you feel only owning the P?

If it's a tie then you're the one saying "keep both," not me!

FishDub likes this.
  20. I'd have to say keep the Fender. More versatile and will hold its value better. Although we may be saying the same think about those crafted in china squiers in a few years. Ideally, find a way to keep both.

FishDub likes this.