1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Fender to keep? Having trouble deciding..See pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FishDub, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Reverb and eBay. People are always looking for them, and on the rare occasion they pop up, they don't stay there long.

FishDub likes this.
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    ... and that would be the Jazz Bass Special. The Fender Japan stuff goes for a lot more $$ these days. I never thought that would be the case, but it is.

FishDub likes this.
  3. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah I thought the Japans were more than I paid, which was $450.. And strangely enough, these CV Squiers are up there too..

Lownote38 likes this.
  4. Brent's Groove

Brent's Groove

Mar 14, 2007
    Virginia
    If it were me, I would keep the Jazz Bass Special.

But since it's you, not me, I would sell the Jazz Special...to me.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i read this in another thread not too long ago but i didn't check out that 'market'. i can't tell you how many of those i've chucked over the years --- not sure why i kept the ones i have now! --- oh well, it's the p.t. barnum-thing for me: one is born every minute! :laugh:

maybe i'll leave them to my children or grandkids: "your pa pa left you these goofy, black, plastic thingies." :D

FishDub and Lownote38 like this.
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    :laugh: I hear ya, man. I don't know why I hang on to the two that I have. I won't ever use them for anything. I had chucked a bunch of them in the past as well. I had no idea they would become a rare and sought after Fender piece! I've seen people looking for them on here as well, but I've been reluctant to sell the ones I have for some reason.

FishDub and JRA like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

well...maybe they'll 'appreciate' into the thousands of dollars...i'd have to explain that in my will. :roflmao:

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I've seen the Jazz Bass Specials go for up to and exceeding $1,000 these days if they're in good shape. Especially ones that have the all black neck.

FishDub likes this.
  9. iunno

iunno

Dec 16, 2010
    Unless the P is real special, keep the Fender. There are plenty of P basses around, so you can probably find one that plays even better.

10. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

That’s a freaking no-brainer. Keep the Fender.

Wisebass, FishDub and Lownote38 like this.
  11. musicman556

musicman556

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Can we talk a little more about the amp situation? What are we talking about replacing here? a 25w combo amp (aka: Craigslist amp for $30) or a $2000 Ampeg tube machine?

I'm going to guess midsize combo, because I don't know that you're expecting to get hundreds and hundreds of dollars by selling a Squier, but maybe a few hundred with the Fender.

Places like ZZZounds and American Musical Supply allow you to use your existing CC and break up your payment over 6-12 months with no interest. Handy ways to keep initial outlay low and not cost a lot in interest, or have to take out new credit. Musicians Friend and Sweetwater generally want you to sign up for their in house credit cards for things like that.

Check this one out... I just saw it for the first time right now: Eden EC10 Bass Combo Amplifier

Eden is DEFINITELY not the same company they were 15 years ago, but I imagine that this new little guy is till a pretty solid amp. $17/month for 6 months! Crazy how tough the competition in MI has gotten to where stuff like this is the new norm.

The talkbass darling Fender Rumble 40 is either $50/4 months at zzzounds or $40/5 month at AMS without having to apply for new credit. 6 months 0% at musicians friend if you apply for their card.

The bigger semi-pro jobs can be had around $75-100 a month over longer terms, if you feel comfy doing that. I don't generally advise using credit to buy things... but bass is life! Haha!

Whatever happens, I hope you don't have to let go of a bass you really love, and regret doing so later.

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Keep the Squier, they are getting harder to find as the years roll by. One of Fenders biggest mistakes by making such a great bass at a budget friendly price and not pricing it for more but not a mistake for us who have them or had them IMHO..

FishDub likes this.
  13. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah I have looked at Eden combos but my go-to is the GK MB210. Probably gonna get the GK MB212 next:) The sound, weight and headroom is hard to beat at the price.

musicman556 likes this.
  14. I would say sell both and get a power jazz bass special! Mine is one of the few basses I won't ever get rid of. It's the active version of your jazz bass special. Interesting tones to be had and can still do everything yours can!

Lownote38 and FishDub like this.
  15. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    Keep the Squier CV P. I regret selling mine. It has even a tort pickguard on it! :)

FishDub likes this.
  16. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I kind of have a thing for P/J configurations at this point.. my vote is keep the jazz special.

FishDub likes this.
  17. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Jazz bass Special. No contest. Those are getting increasingly hard to find. P-Basses are a dime a dozen.

FishDub and The Deep like this.
  18. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    To me, most Squiers aren't worth selling unless you don't like them. You can't get a good amp for the price of a Squier. Squier money buys you patch cords, strings, straps and such. Maybe a pedal. If it was a bass that you liked, you're thinking that your awesome bass that you liked to play has been reduced to a pile of utility crap. Squiers are for playing, keeping, sharing, and trading among friends.

That said, if don't play the Squier more than the Fender, and you must get rid of one to get your amp needs squared away, sell the Squier. There are tons of them out there. There have been good Squiers and bad Squiers forever, and that's how it'll continue to be. Even if you regret it, even the Chinese models aren't likely to go above $500 in the near future, as much as they'll be missed. The Fender is more unique, and I like the look.

But if, when you look at it seriously and think about it, you play the Squier significantly more often, keep the Squier.

FishDub likes this.
  19. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    Carrots.