1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which flats for a Ray?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rusty the Scoob, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Got myself a Ray, been wanting one since the mid 90's and finally one found me. :hyper: But it needs flats, .45-.105 preferably. I'm partial to LaBellas on my P-basses, but open to suggestions for the Ray. I don't expect this'll get much stage use so I'd like to get it right the first time.

Anyone try out a bunch of flatwounds on a ray? It's a '97 or so with a maple neck and BTB MMSR preamp, if that matters.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I use GHS Precision flatwounds on my SR 5 Classic and while it's not my favorite sound in the practice room it's outstanding for gigs. The notes never get lost in the mix even in bass unfriendly rooms.

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nickel rounds! Naah, I'm just kidding....

I'd suggest going with D'Addario Chromes to fully take advantage of the brighter sound of a Ray.

4. The Mouse

The Mouse

Jun 2, 2009
    Ireland
    LaBella's for Fenders, TI jazz flats for Stingrays.

5. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I've been wondering the same thing. I have a 95 EBMM Stingray and have been thinking that I'm going to try chromes on it. I have Fender flats on both of my Precisions and like them a lot, but I'm thinking of chromes because I want something a little brighter on the Ray.

6. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    I have Chromes on a 5 stringer with the 2band and nord mm pickup and with a graphite neck. It sounds unbelievably awesome. Growl, plenty bright, and zero clank.

I also have a fretless with sadowsky flats. It also sounds fantastic, much more mid range on that one.

7. I've got GHS Precision Flats on my Ray and love 'em.