Which funk effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cacklingjackyl, Apr 16, 2004.

1. I have 3 in mind. I do not want to spend too much on an envelope filter, but I just have to have one. Those in my price range seem to be:

1) Digitech Synth Wah Envelope Filter
    2) EHX Doctor Q
    3) Mini Q-Tron

I have read the reviews on harmony central and am still having a tough time deciding. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. I personally like the BassBalls.

not quite an envelope filter (eventhough they claim it is) more like a synth-wah with a little fuzz effect.

but the Q-tron is boss :cool:
  3. Yeah, I have thought about those too. I am looking for something to use while my percussion players are jamming. I want a nasty, greasy sounding funk effect. I think I may try the mini-Qtron, but I have heard some people say that the Doctor Q is pretty damn good for the $$$. Its kind-of a "shot-in-the-dark" for me, since the only one I can try locally is the Digitech. I have not found the others in a local store.

4. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Ibanez sb-7. Low priced and does the job quite nicely.
  5. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    While I haven't tried the other ones, I can vouch positive for the Digitech. I just got one, and it's at the least a grandiose upgrade from my crappy DOD FX27. Hell, for $50 on Ebay, just get one anyway.

That said, I'm looking for "more synth, less wah" in my pedal, so I am looking at the EHX Bass Micro Synth or the Line6 FM-4.
  6. Thanks. I will be trying the Digitech today at Guitar Center. I have not been out there in some time, but hopefully they will have a few other filters for me to try.
  7. I tried the Digitech and thought is was decent, but keep in mind I have nothing to compare it to. I liked the filter sounds in it but I do not really think the synth effects are something that I could use. I have to admit that I did like tweaking the thing to see what kind of sounds it would produce. It seemed to be very versatile for the price. Since the envelope filter is what I want, I think it may be best for me to get the Mini Q Tron???
  8. I have been using an Akia Deep Impact pedel for my synth and envelope filter needs and it is superb. I get nothing but compliments on it at gigs and from my band mates. I don't really like to use effects, but we have a few funky covers that really need it. It sounds exactly like I want it to. Very ajustable too.
  9. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The Deep Impact is well-regarded, it seems -- and I don't doubt it's a damn sight better than the Digitech. But for a price difference of over $200, it's not even a fair comparison.

I still like the Digitech just fine, but I have found the synth sounds less versatile than the envelope filters after 4 rehearsals and a gig. I want to have a box that makes more noises -- and I'm willing to pay a bit more. So I am actually now looking at either the aforementioned Deep Impact, or the Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeller (which is also in the $200+ range).

Speaking of which: anybody have any comparisons to make on those two...?

In the lower price category, the Ibanez that egb41 mentioned is also worth checking out if possible -- esp. comparing it against the Digitech.

And look into the Q-tron/Mini-Q, for sure. If you don't want anything but envelope filter goodness, it might be more authentic than any of the above mentioned pedals.
  10. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I've got a MiniQ and love it. The only problem is it doesn't like high output basses. It doesn't do much when I'm playing my G & L , put put my Jazz through it, greasy, funky heaven!
  11. Well I bought the Mini Q Tron online last weekend. I have not got it in the mail yet, but will let you know what I think of it soon. I am playing an Ibanez GSR 200 Soundgear. I do not know if that qualifies as a high output bass or not? How do I determine that? As cheap as it is, I am sure its not.
  12. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I bought a Line 6 Filter modeler, played it for 1 day the returned it. I really didn't like the sounds, I think it is the weakest of their pedals. All of the filters and synths sounded very sterile and were too hard to get set right. One or 2 sounds on it were neat, but the majority were not very useful

I now own a Deep Impact and it is killer. easy to use interface, good tone, 9 presets/storage spaces that you can arrange in any order. It is definately Akai's best pedal.

for reference I also used to own an EHX Bass Microsynth and while it had neat analogy synth tones, it had major tone suck and was very hard to set up with no presets.
  13. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    As a general rule, if the bass uses a battery, it has pretty high output. I have my controls on the QTron set at: The left knob @ 11 oclock, The middle knob @ 2 oclock, and the right knob on bp I think. I'm going off memory here. How pronounced the effect is controlled by how hard you play. Play lightly, and it's very subtle, dig in and it's impossible not to smile and say "oh yeah!"
  14. Do you lose any low end when using the Q Tron?
  15. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Here's another option - I just started this thread.
  16. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    I just bought the Agent OOFunk filter by Chunk Systems. It's a quality pedal and I'm really happy with it.
  17. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Actually, there's a boost in bass once you engage it.
  18. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    CRAP! I just bought one on eBay! At least I didn't pay full price...... Jeez, maybe I'll like it better.
  19. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    I'm very interested in the Line6 FM-4. Was/is it any good for synth? Could it handle lower notes? Tracking? Thanks.
  20. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The Fm4 seems to track really really well I've not tried it with a 5 string though.

To me it was very very good but I couldn't get the perfect filter sound that I wanted, not saying you won't but I couldn't.

I actually tried both this and a deep inpact on the same day and some patches come very very close to the deep inpact.

Hope this helps