Which is which: Lakland, Squier, L-2000, Sterling, Bongo soundclips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GassieBall, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Lord Of Paaren

Lord Of Paaren

Feb 1, 2007
    Wohooo! I was the first one to post the right answer eventhough I never played any of those basses.

The Sterling certainly had that MM midrange, and since the Bongo had old strings on it, i put it to the dullest sample.

I kind of recognized the Lakland from the other guessing thread, where I also thought that it was the best sounding bass.

Between the squier and the G&L it was a coin flip, because i had absolutely no idea which is which.

btw, I listened to those tracks with my akg k 518.

PS: What do i win?:hyper:

2. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Yes, m'lord. You win a date with MoshGirl!

In all seriousness, that was pretty good educated guessing, man. I'm sure good headphones also let you hear more than regular computer speakers. :)

3. Lord Of Paaren

Lord Of Paaren

Feb 1, 2007
    Yikes!!!

Just googled her up and I think I will pass.:p

4. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

The thing that surprises me in retrospect, is how close the tone of the Duncan-equipped Squier was to the Lakland, and vice-versa. The Squier was thinner-sounding to be sure, but very similar in overall character.

If everything I pretend to know about wood and craftsmanship are true, then I would have expected the clip of the Bongo with older strings to have been the Squier.

Why? Because my prejudice has always been that cheaper lumber = less "air" and detail in the tone.

Listening to the two clips, it also occurred to me that a little EQ could have pushed the results either way.

So, how about a rematch of the Squier vs the Lakland, with the two EQ'd to sound as close as you can get them?

5. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    If this is to happen, you'd have to leave the Lakland flat and only EQ the Squier. The point is to get a Squier to sound like a Lakland, not the other way around -- nobody cares about an alchemist who turns gold into lead ;)

(by the way, this thread got me GAS'ing for a Lakland and a G&L, but interestingly killed all my desires for MusicMan -- mixed blessing, I guess?)

6. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Steve, that's a good idea. I use an LMII and it's got a pretty simple EQ (that's what I love about it). No semi-parametric stuff that I could do good tweaking. I guess I could also tweak with the fancy EQ on my Mac's software without even re-recording the track. Would that suffice?

I have totally come to the conclusion that once you get a bass to sound pretty good, it really doesn't matter that much especially to the general public type audience.

I know for sure, I'm bringing my Squier out to those crappy bar gigs and my Lakland will be reserved for the nicer establishments. 99% of the people won't know the difference. Only the 1% of you Talkbass'ers will :)

attachment.jpg

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021