Which is which: Lakland, Squier, L-2000, Sterling, Bongo soundclips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GassieBall, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    A = Lakland
    B = Squier
    C = Bongo
    D = Sterling
    E = G&L

2. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Ok, I just realized the answer was posted. Oops.

3 out of 5 isn't bad!

Although, I'll admit that the only one I was absolutely certain about was the Sterling.

3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    i didn't vote. i listened to all of the clips yeasterday.

I was listening through KRK studio monitors and what struck me about the whole thing was the following. and this is completely my opinion but...

At the beginning of the tracks, you could easily hear a difference between the different basses, but IMO, once the drums came in it was pretty much moot as the drums covered up a lot of the "uniqueness" of each bass making them all sound much more alike.

If the clips had all been done with the drums all the way through, it would have been much more difficult to tell them apart.

Again my opinion. But I love these kind of comparisons and hope to do one of my own someday.

4. Don't know whether its just me. But I realised that soon after I posted my pick, I saw that the title of the thread actually list the basses in the correct sequence!

Was that intentional?

5. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Gah! Got the Squier and the Bongo mixed up. I have to admit, the lack of output on E is what made me say the Squier.

I ALMOST said A was G&L and C was Lakland, but I had to go with my gut. Glad I did :)

The Sterling was the easiest for me, sounded dead-on for EBMM stingray-ish tone.

6. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I got the Bongo easy - huge depth to it.. The rest were really similar though.

7. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    what model of Lakeland was it?

8. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Nice! Got to the thread late but for sure that MM tone is easy to spot.. everytime I hear it, I cringe. :D

"A" sounds great!

9. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Hmmm. Strange... I hear a substantial difference between these two. The Lakland sounds fuller and fatter, just like in real life. This is one of the reasons why it's worth 1000$ more to me than the souped up squiers. The squier is good, but you hear a big difference. The G&L sounds closer to the lakland to me. Also a high quality jazz.

10. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Hmm, so after this is all said and done, you think the Antiquity IIs will sound more like the Lakland and not like the SJB-2? I might of got this wrong I just really confused myself:confused:

11. That's cool :)

Honestly, so much goes into making a bass cost $x amount, more-so than the perceived difference in tone. One has to also factor in how the bass will sound when playing with a band.

12. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Couldn't agree with you more.

Even in the clips, it's when the drum kicks in you notice the tone of the lakie and the g&l stands out in contrast to the squier.

13. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Very interesting indeed. Thank you for taking the time to set this up GassieBall.

14. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    I am a Bongo player and love Sterling HS's, I dislike Laklands and G&L's, but truthfully I liked the sound of all of those basses.

15. mad_hungarian

mad_hungarian

Sep 1, 2008
    Nice job and great thread!
    I just found this thread but right now I'm in my (umpteenth) quest for sound so it's a great help.

Actually I'd love to hear several more basses: USA MTD's, Sadovsy's etc.!!!

I also did something like this with my modified Spector EURO 5(Aguilar electronics and Seymour Duncan pickups), you can hear the results in my last post of the thread.

16. I learned two things:

1) I want to upgrade my VM Squiers Pups.
    2) I am now gassing for a Lackland.

17. mad_hungarian

mad_hungarian

Sep 1, 2008
    You should check out the sound clips on the Lakland site. I did and wept for days.

18. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Its a Darryl Jones 4-string.

19. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    It's Apple's Garage band with a canned loop.

20. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Nice. I dug the tone of that one, as did many on this thread.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021