Which is which: Lakland, Squier, L-2000, Sterling, Bongo soundclips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GassieBall, Jan 28, 2009.

1. evhest

evhest

Jun 10, 2006
    A Sterling
    B Squier
    C Lakland
    D Bongo
    E G&L

Funny, seems everyone agrees on the Lakland. But the others....

2. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    A. Sterling
    B. Lakland
    C. Bongo
    D. Squier
    E. G&L

3. A Squier
    B Sterling
    C Lakland
    D Bongo
    E G&L

... but that is pure guessing. I have never played a Bongo. I played a friends sterling for an evening a few years back. I played a G&L in a shop once. The Lackland I have never played.

I own a Squier VM Jazz, but I still have the original pups. So I am not sure....

Curious to see the results.

4. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Lakland
    MM
    MM
    G&L
    Squire

5. rhcp32291

rhcp32291

Aug 19, 2007
    Long Island
    G&L
    Sterling
    Lakland
    Squire
    Bongo

6. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Last two are EBMMs, I say the Squier is C. Other two are toss ups.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I didn't post guesses, because I don't agree with the methodology.
    1) Different strings - even if they're the same brand and gauge, different age plays a (sometimes huge) role, as pointed out.
    2) Both pups on full and flat EQ is the best scientific method for approching this, yes, however, I don't believe a jazz's "signature tone" is done by both pups full blast and flat EQ. Same with all the others.

Also, it's relativly east to make all of these basses sound similar, as I'm a firm believer that a good portion of "tone" comes from the player, as much as the instrument and such.

But that's me.

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Yeah last two sound like EBMMs to my ears. Not sure about the rest of them as I've never heard a G&L or Lakland up close.

9. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I very much agree with you. But...

1) Same strings (except for older on the Bongo... Too lazy to get a new set just for this post).
    2) Agreed, but I somehow had to make things equal. If I started to tweak the individual basses to what I felt was a "signature" tone, I think that would be even more subjective and increase the amount of "flawed" methodology.
    3) I tried to play the basses the same. Not too much digging in or emotion. I was trying to let the bass tone speak for itself. Pretty much the point of the post in the first place.

And everyone, just take this whole thread with a grain of salt and have fun with it. It's not meant to be a randomized, controlled, clinical trial :)

10. these types of threads are for fun, why do people get so scientific?

by the way... am I right!?

11. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Forgot to add:

No guts, no glory! ;) :bag:

12. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Thanks, Marcus. You restored my faith in the fun of things TalkBass!

13. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm all for science, but that's not what this thread is about. I think it's fun.

By the way, what's the prize for the winner?

14. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    A date with either MoshGirl or Maki!!!

15. noxweb

noxweb

Apr 6, 2008
    Almada, Portugal
    A - Lakland
    B - G&L
    C - Squier
    D - Bongo
    E - Sterling

16. esmtll

esmtll

Jan 10, 2009
    Vermilion, OH, USA
    My guesses:

A: Lakland
    B: G&L
    C: Bongo
    D: Squier
    E: Sterling

last time I played an HS Sterling I played it flat and it sounded a lot like that (I wasn't impressed). That's probably the only one I'd put money on. And there's a good chance I'd lose it!

Nice post though! The idea of a 'signature sound' (and therefore a preference for one bass over the other simply based on brand and/or pup setup) seems a little far-fetched to me. I'm interested to see if ANYONE is able to pick out the 5 (or even 'their baby') from this little exercise. I'm guessing no. Most people love any particular bass because they've decided they want to love that bass, not because it has 'that great sound'. We're all shallower than we think.

EDIT: NOXWEB's post above me must've been posted while I was writing mine. Very interesting that we switched only one pair. Very interesting. And even more interesting given how different that pair sound (D was so much different from all the others).

17. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm sure we are. I'm sure that's why I picked Lakland as the one I thought sounded best.

18. Fun Fun Fun

Great thread- I like the blind taste test aspect of it. What would I really like if I wasn't influence by my own prejudices.

+10

19. TLW

TLW

Dec 23, 2007
    St.Louis, MO area
    Um. Can you tell me the answer now?

I hate these threads when they take too long to give answer.

People don't have this kind of attention span anymore

20. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    The answer to what?

Huh? What are you talking about?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021