Which is which: Lakland, Squier, L-2000, Sterling, Bongo soundclips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GassieBall, Jan 28, 2009.

1. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    I liked A and C the most. E sounded like there was something missing in the low mid freq. B and D were too vanilla for me. They all sounded pretty good though, I think the average person would think they all sound the same. Thanks for doing this!! Now just let us know which one was which. It will be interesting to see how $300 compares to $1500 or more.

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    My guess:
    Squier
    Lakland
    G & L
    Sterling
    Bongo

3. I'm terrible at identifying bass tones so I'm just gonna say I like A, B, and C. Really curious to see what those basses are, and if my favorites are the tones I like.

4. so, which do you prefer? the squire or the lakland

5. lagoni

lagoni

Mar 16, 2005
    My guess:
    A - Sterling
    B - L-2000
    C - Bongo
    D - Lakland
    E - Squier

6. We think alike.

7. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    G&L
    Squier
    Lakland
    Sterling
    Bongo

Fun listening to how they melded with the drum track.

8. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    What I think is the Lakland, most "open" sounding without being thin. What about you?

9. while it of course is going to depend on the individual piece of wood, id say the ant 2's are going sound closer to the bass you didnt prefer.

10. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    My guesses:

1. Lakland
    2. Bongo
    3. Squier
    4. L2000
    5. Sterling

11. Bassforyourface

Bassforyourface

Dec 17, 2008
    total guesses but here's what i think

a- sterling
    b- bongo
    c- squire
    d- g&l
    e- lakland

12. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    THE ANSWER IS:

A = Lakland
    B = Squier
    C = L-2000
    D = Sterling
    E = Bongo

I must admit, after listening to the Bongo clips, I agree that the strings do sound a little dead and the Bongo does sound brighter than that clip would lead one to believe. Mea culpa.

On the other hand, a couple people nailed the identification dead on and I am quite impressed with CheckEverything & Lord of Paaren.

Indeed, there were three "jazzes" as GeneralElectric pointed out and some people had a hard time distinguishing between a US-made L2000, a more upscale Skyline, and a Squier with new pickups. I'm not gonna comment. Come to your own conclusion. Of course this only refers to recorded tone. Playability is a totally different can of worms.

Thanks for "playing". If any of you want to hear any of those basses dialed in differently, or even the Bongo with a fresh set of strings (give me a little bit of time), please ask. If these types of clips can help you make a decision if you're considering getting any of these basses, I'd be glad to lay some more tracks.

Cheers!

13. LOL what do I win!?

Regarding the Bongo tone.. it sounds very big and round. Nothing like the Sterling or the Stingray. The two jazz basses are jazz basses. The G&L is the only bass in that list I have never played. I have owned a Sterling for nearly 9 years :)

14. TLW

TLW

Dec 23, 2007
    St.Louis, MO area
    woah some people were spot on.

Good job guys.

15. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Marcus, I'm curious. In retrospect, can you tell the difference between a Lakland and a Squier?

16. A.Denis

A.Denis

May 28, 2006
    Montréal
    just curious,
    what did you use for the drum track?
    is it software based or drum machine?

17. Hm.. to be honest, there is very little perceivable difference to me. The Squier sounds a little hotter than the DJ. Do you have Lakland pickups, or Aero pickups? The DJ I once owned had Aero pickups and I really regret selling it :(

18. I got every single one wrong. I am the smartest.

19. "My Fav tone is between A & C..." check.

"B sounded way too thin." Squier w/ new pickups? Hmm.

"E was lifeless" Must be dead strings or something!

"D was warm on the brink of muddy" A muddy Sterling? Well I'll be!

Completely not the results I thought. (I got them all wrong too!)

20. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I found this too late to vote, but would have been off anyway.

These threads are fun, thanks for taking the time to do this!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021