1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Jazzer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jay Corwin, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm thinking about picking up a jazz bass. The new band is starting to get into more funk and jump blues type of stuff. I love my p-bass, just thinking a little brighter J might sound better for some of the stuff I'm gonna be playing.

So here's my question for you guys. Which J-bass gives you a good bang for the buck (other than the american standards)? I've look into the highway ones, FSR's, new 70's classic, MIM standards. I'm gonna be on a limited budget.

I considered an SX, but I really don't want another cheap guitar that I'll have to upgrade to be happy with. There are a ton of MIM standards around my area used. I think I would be able to pick one up for $250-300. Problem is I prefer a maple fingerboard, and the MIM's do not come in that option.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. I'd go with Fender Jazz Deluxe Standard. They go for around $600-700. It's worth the buy.

3. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
  4. YO! If I was looking for a good playing 4 string, there are loads of used Geddy's for sale here at TB and Ebay. $500 is alot.

5. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I just can't bring myself to play a Geddy Lee signature bass.

6. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Why not? They're great basses.

7. I've heard great things about the Highway one, for the money and all. If you can get past the shabby finish.

I just ordered a New Am Standard. We'll see how it goes when it gets in.

Andrew

8. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY

I don't doubt that they are. I'm not really a fan of most signature series basses in general, and not much of a Geddy fan either. He is a great musician - just not my cup of tea. I can't see playing a bass mod'd for a player that I don't really care for his stuff.

I also heard that the necks on the Geddy are even smaller than a regular jazz, which already feels small to me after being a p-bass guy for more than 10 years. I actually have an easier time playing on a P neck.

9. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Too bad, because you're missing out on some great instruments. I'm not a fan of Sting my any means (I mean, I don't HATE him, but I generally find him rather dull and boring), but I have a Sting Signature bass that I wouldn't get rid of for anything...as a matter of fact I'm gigging it right now on a 3-week long West Side Story run.

10. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Yeah, the Geddy is great in terms of feel and playability. I haven't gotten a chance to try the tone myself but the local store has one and it plays great.

Any Made in Japan jazz's I'll recommend. They are almost as good as the USA basses but far cheaper. The Geddy is a MIJ. You can look on ebay for them and usually come up with several good choices.

11. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Well I'd prob go for the Squier VM... it really is very nice and is well suited to a bit of modding as you go...
    Check out this thread...
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453477

I'd be tempted meself but I have an old jazz already and I'm gassing for a squier 51 P!

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'd definitely test drive a Highway One. A lot of times, you can find some good deals at G.C. on new (but older) Highway One's that haven't sold yet. And if you check the used market, you can get some great deals on them as well.

My nephew has a Hwy. One Jazz and it sounds great. I have a Hwy. One P, and I love it. I got mine new for $479.00 at a Memorial Day sale. I'm very happy with it.

13. Does it have to be a Fender? If not maybe try out a Lakland Skyline DJ or JO. They're great basses and are relatively easy to find used here in the TB classifieds or on ebay. You can get a used one for right around $850-$950.

14. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    ++++1

15. +1 on the lakland, sounds like its more than you want to spend though. you can also look into the G&L jb2 tribute wich i do think you can get a maple neck,

16. Huge +1

17. +1! :hyper:

18. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY

I've thought about Laklands, which I definetly would try a artist model in that brand. Just don't know if they are in the price range right now.

19. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I looked at one of these at my local music store about two weeks ago, and was dissapointed. After inspecting it, I decided not to even play it. It had some noticeable quality problems - first being that the pole pieces of the pickups didn't line up with the strings (which I know may not cause any tone issues - but it looks stupid). Squiers are hit and miss (I do own one), so I was considering checking some other stores to see if they all have the same issues. As nice as some of the Squiers can look, they are still cheapos - and I'm not looking to mod. I would like a serviceable mid-ranged priced jazz, possibly used.

20. Consider a 51 P reissue: single coil which gives a little more bite than the split coil (i.e., closer to a Jazz sound, but different); one piece maple, P sized neck.

I use mine for blues, rock, funk. It sounds great. You should be able to find one for around $500.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021