1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which kind of amp should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metallized, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Metallized

Metallized

Jul 29, 2011
    Denmark
    Hey guys!

I finally got (one of) the bass of my dreams (Fender American Standard Precision bass), and now I need a good amp. The amp I got is an Ashdown MAG C410t, and it just doesn't really get the sound out that I want. I've been looking at the TC Electronics BH500, but haven't got to try it yet, but I was hoping you guys could help me get an amp that could lead me to stuff more like (or tell me the TC is the right one):
    (He plays with a pick though and I with my fingers.)

So I hope you guys could help me, and thanks in advance!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    In the first clip he's playing though an Ampeg SVT-II into an 810. Possibly more, but that's the basic stuff. He's got a Pierce BC-1 in the rack to the left as well as a compressor of some sort and something else, but it's hard to say what he's running exactly. It's hard to tell.

So yeah...Ampeg SVT tube amp (SVT-CL, SVT-II, SVT-II Pro, SVT-VR, SVT Heritage) and an Ampeg 810.

3. Metallized

Metallized

Jul 29, 2011
    Denmark
    Oh that's quite expensive stuff!
    But I will look at it. :) Thanks!

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Do you have a price range?

5. Metallized

Metallized

Jul 29, 2011
    Denmark
    About 1650$. It's not much, but I don't need something really big, just something that can play up a small venue

6. I cannot say enough good about the Carvin equipment I have. You can buy it direct and the build quality is top-notch. Plus, for what you get, the prices are very, very reasonable. I love the tone, and they have so many options from very small to pretty big.

Check them out....

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    A used pre fender SWR redhead will trade for a faction of that.
    And with a bit of luck last along time. And be portable enough to not kill your back.

Your ears may be your most important peice of gear but your back figures in there too.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You can find an SVT used and pick up a decent 4X10 with the money left over pretty easily on the used market. I know that GC has an SVT-CL going for $950 near me. There are plenty of other options as well.

Are you near any music stores? You're best bet is to head there and try out everything that you can, if nothing more just to get an idea of the different tones out there.

I'd be looking at Ampeg (all of the amps listed plus 7 pro and 4 pro), GK, Genz Streamliner, etc.

9. Metallized

Metallized

Jul 29, 2011
    Denmark
    Thanks BayStateBass and BawanaRik, I will check them out! :D

Well that was the plan, but I don't really know what to look for. And as we are typing I just looked at the danish kind of Ebay and found an SVT and Ampeg 4x10 cab for about 800$ dollars. But I don't know anything about used gear

10. Maybe if you said what type of music you will be playing and what the band consists of, people might be able help out more with what they are using and what they like/don't like about it, and could advise you on how big you actually need to go.

Typically you'll find that Ampeg, Gallien-Kruger, Acoustic, and Markbass have big followings.

Also, don't overlook Eden or Ashdown amps. They have a nice sound, too.

Ampeg will be the most popular I would think. Classic tone.

11. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Both have valid Points. The carvin stuff is good. But if you price shop you can easily find an ampeg stack for your price range.

12. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I purchased a Hartke HA5500 and Hartke Hydrive 4 x 10 last October. First Hartke equipment I ever purrchased and I'm very satisfied with it so far.
    I paid around $1300 total, so it's in your price range and can easily handle a small venue.
    You actually could save a few bucks and go with the HA2500 head. At least worth checking out to see if it will work for you.

13. Metallized

Metallized

Jul 29, 2011
    Denmark
    Well I play in a Stoner/doom band consisting of a Guitarist and a drummer (they are both vocalists) and me, and then a Hard Rock band consisting of 2 guitarists (again on of them is the vocalist), a drummer and me as the bass player.
    I'm not trying to overlook them, but I currently play through an Ashdown MAG C410t, and it just doesn't fit me.

I will look at Hartke too then! I just need to see if I can find it here in Denmark, I haven't seen it here before. Thanks. :)

14. Probably some solid state version. Used gear can be great value but you need to check it out with someone knowledgeable when you're dealing in big dollar stuff.

15. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I tried a TC BH500 and found it to have too many features requiring constant fiddling to get my best tone, too many distractions and things to play with, it had no warmth to the sound so I sold it and got an Ampeg PF500 which was easier and sounded better, I still have it as a spare head, I now have a GB Streamliner 900 which is a superb head, it brings out the best in my MIA P DLX and MIM P, I cannot help being amazed by the tone and power of the 900 and the small dimensions and weight of this powerhouse :bassist::)

16. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    From those clips I would recommend trying out some distortion pedals before you go changing your amp.
    Your amp can get pretty loud and has a versatile eq.

17. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I really liked my BH500, it got me through a couple gigs and tons of practice and it never had a problem, but I was gassing for an Ampeg Cl so I sold the Bh500 to help fund it!

18. go to the "stoner/doom" thread in the "Bassists" sub-forum. Those guys will have BOAT-loads of suggestions.

19. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Please clarify, it does not fit you how? How are you setting up the gain & EQ structure? Maybe a VT pedal and re-tweak the EQ?

20. Metallized

Metallized

Jul 29, 2011
    Denmark
    Well, it's just too round, and can't really get than punchy tone. I got an EBS MetalDrive, and it sounds so empty through the amp.
    I don't know if there is something wrong with the amp, or the pedal.

To be honest, I don't have clue how to get that tone, but I've tried everything on this amp.
    I have looked a lot at the VT but I cannot find it here in Europe.