1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which multi-effects pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Drubio8119, May 15, 2011.

1. Drubio8119

Drubio8119

Dec 8, 2010
    El Paso TX
    I do not have much money and all i have is a guitar center by me. I am planning to get myself a multi-effects pedal for the reason of price but only in the 50-300 dollar range. Looking at the effects pedals and review which would you guys say is their better product? As well which pedals should help me get a muse sound , arctic monkeys, stroke or a clear cut tone... please hlep me i am very lost :/

2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    No single pedal even a multi-effects unit will do everything. IMHO, the M9 is a great unit that will get you started and still perform well when you want to add a few more effects later on.

3. Jc575

Jc575

Feb 18, 2002
    Whitestone, NY
    +1 on the M9

4. K2Graham

K2Graham

May 9, 2011
    I wouldn't touch effects until i started listening to Muse, Primus and Tool, then I bought a Boss ME-50B which was probably my best purchase since buying my first bass. It's a really good pedal for players just like yourself who want to break into using effects and it's relatively simple to operate compared to a lot of other multi-fx out there. Its got several different compressor modes along with a limiter. There's the preamp EQ, a couple of different auto-wahs, the usual octave up/down pitch shifter, Distortions and overdrive are awesome, delay and modulation effects all work well (chorus is a bit weak) and there is a hell of a lot of fun to be had out of the expression pedal. It's got the Octave up which gives you a whammy pedal effect and Resonance which is the most awesome resonance sweeping effect i've ever come across along with the usual bass wah. There are a few things that don't work very well, There are some synth effects in the Distortion section which are pretty much unusable, the expression pedal has an octave down effect which isn't really good for anything either. But apart from that it's a bloody ripper! Not sure how much these things cost in the U.S. but I'm pretty sure its a round a bout your budget... or you could pick up a used one from somewhere i'm sure.

Of course there are many multi-fx to be considered... all i can say it that if you got yourself an ME-50B you wouldn't regret it :)

5. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I second the boss me 50 b recomendation.

6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    If you get this box here (link) it will get you a muse, tim c, tool, geddy, flea, jaco, and jamerson tone for under $50 bucks!

7. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    What, no Bootsy or Larry Graham? Ripoff! :D

8. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Your link didn't, um, link to anything.

9. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Another vote for the M9. I normally either feel "meh" or outright hate multi-effects units, but the M9 is really nice and works and sounds a bit closer to "real" individual pedals than any other unit I've tried.

10. pibws001

pibws001

Apr 23, 2011
    I wouldn't bother - just get individual pedals. These are my 5 fave beginner ones in the best order:

Behringer TU300 - £25 - pedal tuner, is great for gigs, and really practical
    Behringer BLE100 - £20 - a fantastic limiter/enhancer that is amazing value for money
    Boss SD1 - £40 - Overdrive guitar pedal, but works well for bass solos, and entire songs
    Electro Harmonix Big Muff - £60 - Epic bass mode, and Muse use it, fuzz and distortion
    Behringer BSY600 - £40 - I don't need synths that much, but this is useful for doing the occasional synthy song

In that order - only £185 - add £20 for wires and your laughing, a great mini setup for £200

11. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Don't forget a power supply unless you want to pay for a constant stream of 9V batteries.

12. I've owned the M13 and the ME-50B and I far and away prefer the line6. I got plenty of good use out of the Boss, but I would never go back. Others here have felt differently, though. A GC should have both (or similar offerings from both Boss and L6) so you can play and figure out which is right for you.

One big consideration is the expression pedal. The Boss has an onboard expression pedal, but it is much more limited than the expression controls on the Line6 (after you buy your external expression pedal). If you find the sound and function comparable, this may be where your decision is made.

Good luck and have fun.

13. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    go online 299 will get you a ZoomB9.1UT or less on ebay

14. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    See my sig...

15. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    The problem I have with a lot of multi-effect pedals is they're a pain to program. I got a DigiTech BP50 that I never use because the patches are always "close" but I can't tweak them on the fly depending on the environment. I mean rooms never sound the same, amps can be fickle and can sound different week to week, but forget trying to find a knob to grab to fix the patch. A two digit display and six buttons are useless.

Now, if I WERE to get another multi-effect box, I've heard/seen great things about the Berhinger BASS V-AMP (LX1B). Plenty of knobs and LEDs to tweak live and many reviews say its a great product. Even has a MIDI interface and PC Software to manage. For $100 or less you can't beat that.

I don't understand people knocking Berhinger - some people think you have to spend a lot to get quality. It's mostly digital electronics which get cheaper day by day. It's like people who spend $100 for Monster brand HDMI cables when you can get a $5 HDMI cable from monoprice that has been proven in independent lab tests (Gizmoto) to be the same or better quality (HDMI is an all digital signal). Cellphones get cheaper & more powerful each iteration and effects boxes are nowhere near that complexity.

Anyway, the most useful stompbox I've found (and my only other one I now have) is the Berhinger V-TONE BASS DRIVER DI BDI21 . I didn't expect much when I bought it, but I've been very impressed with it. It's a great Bass Amp Modeler/Direct Recording Preamp/DI Box which If I recall only set me back $25-$30...