1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which power supply for my Broughton always on HPF?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pat C., Feb 5, 2020.

1. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Just picked up the Broughton HPF and I need to get a wall wart to power it to avoid cannibalizing one from my other pedals. It seems very flexible in that it can utilize 9-24v power supplies.

That flexibility actually making my decision more difficult. From the website:

The High Pass Filter requires a DC power supply (not included). The DC supply should be a standard Boss style connector, center negative polarity. It can accept 9 to 24 volts. Higher voltages will provide more clean headroom.

Any recommendations of model(s) of higher voltage to use?

With some other pedals I've been using a couple of the Trutone 1 spot, which have worked fine. (I'm using one power supply per pedal, not daisy chaining). I can just pick another of those up. But if a higher voltage model would serve me better than I'm open to getting the right unit from the get go.

At the same time, I'd rather not have to spend another 50% of the cost of the actual pedal on a power supply for it.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I used the 1 Spot without any issues

Pat C. likes this.
  3. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I find the gain to be much more useful running at 18v. Using 9v it would get a little crunchy on me if I remember correctly

4. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Pat C. likes this.
  5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    he’s talking always on HPF: I don’t think it has a gain knob

Pat C. and catcauphonic like this.
  6. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    9v from the OneSpot is likely fine if you aren’t getting any clipping or break up from what you route into it.

If you do get some clipping or distortion from the HPF being driven to hard, then going to higher voltage would help. Either getting a 2 to 1 adapter for the OneSpot to boost it to 18v (runs about $6-10 on average) or getting a power supply that can provide more voltage are your best options.

Pat C. likes this.
  7. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    D'oh :banghead:

Pat C. likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021