Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Unchain, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Alembic F1-X

14 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Tech 21 Sansamp RBI

9 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Aguilar DB-659

9 vote(s)
    15.3%
  4. BBE Sound Bmax T

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Ashdown RPM-1

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. Ampeg SVP-BSP

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  7. Other (please mention)

19 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi all! I'm looking for a nice preamp to use intially with my Ashdown MAG 300 head, then later with a QSC RMX1450 power amp. I like to play funk metal, dub, punk and reggae. I like to slap a lot and use distortion. I like to have a little extra high end when I play harmonics. What are your opinions? Thanks!

EDIT: To further clarify, I only use distortion rarely, I like tones similar to Marcus and Matt Freeman and the basses I will be using are Fender P and J, and possibly a Modulus Quantum 6.

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have no idea what would be best for your application (only you can really know that) but I voted for the Aggy because I have one and love it. It's discontinued but you could definatly get one used.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Do you use distortion all the time, or some of the time? Are you hoping to get the distortion from the preamp, or from another unit?

Tom.

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The best sounding bass preamp and the most versatile is the BMAX-T. And they happen to have one down at Bass Northwest in mint condition, with footswitch, like new in the box. I think it is going to be re-listed tomorrow for only $299. This is the one with the tube in it. What an incredible deal. I don't work there, but I know the crew is great to deal with and it's a fun place to shop.

5. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I use the distortion from my EH Big Muff Pi and Boss Superoverdrive. I use it maybe 10% of the time, so not usually. Distortion in the pre would be a + but not a neccesity. Thanks Tom, and sorry for not specifing that in my post.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Gotcha. So, what is your ideal clean sound? Do you like a thick, somewhat growly tone, a very neutral tone, or a more scooped tone with a hyped high end? Or something else?

7. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I like to have the ability to have a slap sound similar to Marcus Miller, but the ability to dial in a punk sound like Matt Freeman.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO an Ampeg SVP-Pro should be able to do either (and more) really well.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You could probably dial that in on either the F-1X (which might be easier to get a MM tone) or the DB 659 (which might be easier to get a Matt Freeman tone). I haven't tried an RPM-1 in person yet, but I have one on the way from Boogiebass! :D My suspicion is that this might be just the ticket, though. Dave Funk has one for sale in his used gear section. I was thinking about getting it, but then Boogie put his John Entwistle Signature model up for sale...

Two other preamps that are tonally very flexible are the Eden Navigator and the DB 680. You might consider either of those. I also have an old Hughes & Kettner Fortress bass preamp that can cover that range quite well, too (if you can find one).

I presume that you have alreday been to www.basstasters.com.

Later, Tom.

10. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yep I stopped at basstasters. Let me know when you get that RPM-1. My MAG300 manuel is also the RPM-1 manuel, but I'm certain it is far nicer. The Aguilar is tickling my fancy, but so are the Alembic and Ampeg. Looks to me like 4 A's: Aguilar, Alembic, Ampeg, Ashdown.

11. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I voted other-- Avalon U5.

12. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Why the Avalon U5? Isn't this a generic mic pre? At half a rackspace, with no tone shaping options, why this over the rest? I've heard people ditching Ampegs and Edens for this, but why?

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I don't think the Avalon will get you the Matt Freeman tone.

14. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I didn't think so. :meh:

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Dave Funk has a Alembic for a good price on his used gear page.

16. The Ampeg SVP-CL has the ability to quickly change from a mid-heavy rock tone to a bass only dub tone with it's 5 position ultra low shape knob. Works great on the fly.

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Oh those youngsters. Sorry.

To answer you question I use an Eden WT-550 because I wanted a smaller rig. It sounds great, but if I still wanted to haul around a 4 space rack, I'd have an Avalon U5 and a power amp over anything else. If you ever get a chance to play through one, you'll know why.

I still miss mine.

18. Eden Navigator. Great eq section. Better yet, it sounds good flat, requires very little tweaking to sound better. Looks like lots of knobs, but they're all intuitive.

Randy

19. I use an Ampeg SVP-CL with a Stewart World 2.1 through a pair of Acme B2s and it sounds terrific.

Rick B.

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Demeter VTBP-201s. Was considering the Alembic as well, but found this to be the better choice.

Might be for you as well!!