which qsc?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shatner, Jan 15, 2005.

1. shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    Which QSC amp do you think I should get?

I am really looking for an RMX series coz I'm working on a low to medium budget. The preamp will be a sansamp RBI and the cabs are Ampeg SVT 2x10 and 1x15. Both are 8 ohm 200 watt cabs so will I be able to run an RMX into them bridged or should I do it stereo?

My current choice would be an RMX 1450 or 1850. Is there any problems with having an RMX instead of a PLX aside from the weight?

My current amp is an SVT3 pro but it just isn't loud enough for what I want.
  2. Hold out for a clean, used 2402 or greater. These are more power efficient than the smaller ones (and the RMXs) and it is a wonderous thing to have more power than you need in stereo parallel mode with control over how much you send to each speaker.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1 on holding out for a used PLX2402, you won't regret it.
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    eh.... I guess I can support the PLX2404 in this case. Chain your cabs and run them stereo into one channel, you'll be getting 700Watts overall.

An RMX1850 would give you about 600Watts in the same setup... about $500 brand new, I think. Not sure what your total budget is.

Might be tricky to shop around for a used 2404 though.... not too many people let them suckers go, because they're pretty nifty power sources.

Isn't it a shame about the 3Pro? It's got a friggon brilliant sound to it... but its just not powerful enough for some people. Maybe you could use the 3Pro as your preamp... might be a good sound.
  5. For what it's worth I have similar sansamp and RMX-1450 setup into Ampeg 2x10 and 1x15. Almost the same rig. I love it.

You will not need any more power with those cabs. I run mine bridged mono and daisey chain the 8ohm Ampeg cabs together. This gives me 700 watts per cab max at 4ohms.

Those Ampeg cabs are pretty conservatively rated at rms 200. I just don't push the QSC to hard and I have killer volume and no amp clipping..... in other words "headroom."

My only complaint is that the RMX is he is heavy. I will eventually put my rack on a diet and get the PLX.

But I found a RMX 1450 for $250 on TB I had to have it.... I love it,
  6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you can't find a used PLX, I'd vote for the RMX1850HD.
    It's over-engineered to hold up under more exteme circumstances than the non-HD models.

That's what I wanted when I ended up getting my PLX1602; I would have had to wait about a week to get the RMX and the store where I got my system gave me a really good deal on a new PLX.
    My PLX did a couple of thermal shutdowns on me at an outdoor, very hot Texas, Fourth of July party. I set a stand fan behind it for the remaining sets and it did fine.
    I think one of the HD models would have just cranked-on.

An RMX4050HD would be very nice indeed... :bassist: