1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which reverb for DBish sound?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Zbysek, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I have repeatedly read that adding some reverb can help to make sound of EUB closer to upright bass. Which type of reverb would you suggest? Hall, room or plate? THX.

2. Hall is darker than a room or plate, and generally preferred for bass, but whichever you choose, make the decay short, rather than lingering. You just want to soften the attack and hide the fret noise.

P.S. a slow chorus helps too, simulating the bloom (“mwah”).

Zbysek likes this.
  3. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It's more effort than it's worth, IMO. The subtlety of the reverb to make the EUB "acoustic-ish" goes unnoticed in a band mix. If you want reverb for a solo spot in a song, that's one thing, but to get some air on an EUB is primarily going to be for the player. If you're playing in a loud/boomy room, the last thing you'd want to do is start adding ambiance to the low end of the mix. EUBs tend to have much more pronounced midrange presence than upright basses, and I'd investigate some good reductive EQ in the mids before adding reverb.

4. +1 to what Pat said.
    I have an EUB which has a "natural" reverb (it has a semi-hollow acoustic chamber and tones bars under the bridge) and in fact I wish the tone was dryer.

Max George and Zbysek like this.
  5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I don't try to make my Vertical Bass sound like anything but the best version of itself.

6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I might be wrong but I thought that longer decay is inherent character of hall reverb - especially compared to room reverb...

7. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Thank you, Sir, that's very helpful. Btw, which reverb are you using "to make your Vertical Bass sound like the best version of itself": hall, room or plate?

J_Bass likes this.
  8. He probably means None...

9. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    None-that's my point. Adding effects doesn't change an instrument's inherent sound. I plug it into a good amp and speaker, and use the EQ (I suppose you could classify that as an "effect") on the amp to get a tone I can work with.

Francois Blais and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  10. donotfret

donotfret

Jun 11, 2018
    I'm not trying to achieve an acoustic sound with my EUB, but if I wanted to, I would try to get the attack and decay right more than the actual sound. The difference in the sound itself is in the lowest 2kHz, in particular the lowest 200Hz. So as suggested before, whatever goes into a reverb needs to go through a good equalizer first if it's supposed to convince me. The type of reverb might not be overly important, although it might be more convincing if it simulates the acoustics of a big(ish) room.

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  11. The choice of string is more important to me than electronic tone tampering, to achieve a tone more akin to DB.
    And plucking technique as well, of course.

Zbysek and salcott like this.
  12. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I know. I just tried to point out irrelevance of the comment for this thread...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  13. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Zbysek likes this.
  14. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Thank you. Might be worth trying, indeed... It's just that I am afraid of loosing the bottom end if I use other than bass-dedicated pedals. That's why I bought EBS Dynaverb...

15. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
  16. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Ausberto Acevedo Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    Pretty cheeky. I think @salcott was just pointing out the irrelevance of reverb in trying to make an instrument into something it's not. It won't work. Want an upright sound, get an upright.

17. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Also, there are plenty of EUBs on the market at this point that when amplified through a double bass amp and played with double bass technique will sound like an amplified double bass.
    An acoustic double bass played with bass guitar technique doesn't sound like much, and a double bass through an amp sounds like a double bass through an amp.
    I wouldn't mind having one again, but, I'd prefer a more electric sounding EUB for loud electric gigs. I don't really see them as travel solutions anymore with all the great travel bass option around now.

18. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm using it on double bass as part of my amplified rig. It doesn't cut any lows. It cuts mids somewhere around that 700hz piezo quackery range. You won't lose bottom end with this pedal.

I didn't watch the video, but I take product demos with a grain of salt. I wrote some lengthy reviews about this pedal here on this site. I can't speak to the feedback suppression, as I don't have that problem with my current pickup. The compression however is very subtle. It's a component of the effect, not THE effect. It's my understanding that there is also some filtering going on (see above answer).

It works great for me amplifying double bass. Results may vary.

ctmullins and Zbysek like this.
  19. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Thank you.

20. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    No, it is not. The title of this thread is "which reverb". I clearly stated in my OP, that I wanted to achieve result A (DBish sound). Salcott stated that he wanted to achieve result B (best version of itself) so his comment was clearly off-topic and irrelevant. The fact that you consider my reply thanking salcott for his help cheeky confirms the irrelevance of his comment. If you considered his comment relevant, you would not view my "thank you" as being cheeky.

My reply was an attempt to find out whether salcott has anything to say on the topic of "which reverb".

Please note that replying "no effect" to a post titled "which effect" is considered trolling in other parts of this forum - see the link below. I thought my little polite irony was better than reporting the comment to administrators.
    'no effects' trolling in the Effects forum

I respect comments of others expressing their doubts about effectiveness of using reverb for the stated purpose (DBish sound). But I would like the comments to focus on the topic of this thread ("which reverb"). I already bought EBS Dynaverb pedal and now I am seeking an advice on which type of reverb to use (there is a switch on the pedal).

That being said, I meant no ofense and didn't want to treat salcott disrespectfully. If I did, I am offering him my apology.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    J_Bass likes this.