1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which would you upgrade first? An amp or a bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Amp

1,012 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Bass

840 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. Carrots

262 vote(s)
    12.4%
  1. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I want to change my vote for finding I need a better amp way more than a bass. I can still work on stuff with my budget bass but my amp is such crap only sounds good when I attach my Bose headphones.

FuzzFacetious likes this.
  2. JonathanAlvarez

JonathanAlvarez

Aug 31, 2016
    Melbourne
    Bassalcoholic confession: I play bass (and other instruments) and I don't have a proper amp of my own. We rehersal in a studio and they provide mixers and speakers, no need to bring a rig there. When we have a gig, most places provide sound. And as a group we have our own set of mixers and speakers ( 2 active 15" speakers) that we rarely use on stage.
    At home , I connect my bass to my home theater system (subwoofer does it right) or play with headphones.
    Soooooo I will go for a good bass instead and a good set of cables and DI - condenser

Remyd and Jhengsman like this.
  3. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    Carrots will help you see in badly lit clubs though, while you have to stand in the dark corner for being a bassist, and your bass and amp won't matter between the guitarist and the sound guy.

:roflmao:

murphy likes this.
  4. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    I picked carrot and made a relevant comment, but I bought a second bass first. Now, my Dean Bassola will have to do for bedroom practice.

However, I have an amp plan in 3 stages. Peavey Mini Max head, then Headliner 115 and finally stack a Headliner 210. Peavey gear should last me ages.

Then the Bassola amp will go out in the shed to rust in peace while i practice.

Did I mention that I live in a trailer park with the trailers all really close together, and no garages to practice in? I bet my neighbors will share in my enthusiasm though. After all, everyone likes new gear. :bassist::roflmao:

5. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    Not to mention what can happen if you try borrowing someone else's carrots.

"It isn't pretty! I don't like doing it!" Genie, Alladdin

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  6. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Amp by far unless your bass is holding back your technique development and playing ability (not likely unless you have a really crappy bass and/or setup).

7. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    I chose carrots because good tone is in your nutrition.

8. Depends, if you had a ragged $50 Bass, I think I would upgrade the bass.

9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Scott from Scott's Bass Lessons just released a good video on this today.

Tom Bomb likes this.
  10. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    As long as the player isn't putting the time in on the bass because it doesn't feel right, noise is just going to be coming out of the amp no matter how expensive it is.

11. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I've underestimated the importance of a good amp when I got my first cheap amp. All I wanted was power. But after playing through a few higher prices amps, I realized just how important the amp is.

12. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    Assuming its set up well and playable, I would upgrade the bass first. If you're gigging you can always use the amp as a stage monitor and use the direct out (if it has one) or a DI to the board.

Unless of course the amp is a total wreck, speaker cone repaired by duct tape, coil blown, pots suffering from terminal scratchiness and the inputs loose so you can't get sound without wiggling them just right (like old rabbit ear TV's, everyone can't move, and the tin foil has to be a certain way for the signal to come in, until a jet plane flies over and the picture gets all wavy).

Shannon likes this.
  13. Yes, without s description of your situation it's not easy to judge in effect.

14. I totally agree. The question is, what do you want to achieve?

15. Amp, assuming the bass I had was at least mediocre. Crap's crap, but I can make a mediocre bass sound at least alright with pickups, electronics, a fret dress, etc. if I have a good rig. A bad bass is a lot harder to disguise, and your playing will suffer because of them. Nowadays, however, most basses are at least acceptably good, so you're not at the same disadvantage as folks my age and older were, too much media available to expose shoddy work. You live in a golden time for lack of accountability, haha!

16. Have amps changed much in recent years? Or speaker cabinets? Or basses for that matter? A new bass encourages me to practice and play more than a new amp or cab, but my latest inspiring purchase is a multi-effects unit.

17. I was just saying, if the OP feels the need to upgrade both and can only afford one for the now, I feel a good amp is more important than a better bass. You can upgrade an entry-level bass gradually, with small, affordable parts, until it's pretty damn good. A rig's pretty much all it's ever going to be when it leaves the factory though, unless you're into old tube stuff and know how to work on it, which very few do.

18. You're quite right

19. galactikslondon

galactikslondon

Jun 19, 2017
    Gotta be the bass!

20. I have a relatively cheap bass ($250 Squier Jazz) but much cheaper amps (40w no-name brand and a 10w Peavey MAX 126). So I would be looking at upgrading amp first (currently considering a Fender Rumble 100 or 200), even though the ones I have now are enough to practice.