1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who Are the new funk bands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Geddyfleaharris, Mar 26, 2009.

1. I have been a metal/hard rock guy all my life. I have always listened to other types of music and RHCP are one of my fave bands. Although I guess you might put them in a hard rock category at times. I have always had a soft spot for Parliament/Funkadelic even at my rockinest most. Mothership Connection is a brilliant album.

Lately, after reading about some of the bassists in Bass Player mag, I have branched out (never leave my metal roots behind entirely) and am really starting to appreciate bands like Earth Wind and Fire and Tower of Power. Now sometimes I will admit the ballady stuff bores me a bit but even some of that is very good to my ears. The tunes with a full on, slammin' horn section have just as much oomph as my metal faves although in a different way (if you know what I mean).My question is who are the new bands doing high powered funk? I have no idea as I have never really followed the genre.

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. You MUST buy the album Rage by Lettuce. While you are at it, get Outta Here and Live in Tokyo by Lettuce as well. It simply doesn't get any better than these guys for slammin' funk and butt movin' tunes.

Other albums you should check out are:

The Clinton Administration - One Nation Under a Re-Groove -- It's a P-Funk instrumental tribute that slams.

George Duke - Face the Music -- Christian McBride on Bass. Sick.

The Greyboy Allstars - What Happened to Television?

Karl Denson's Tiny Universe - The Bridge

Liquid Soul - Here's the Deal

Maceo Parker - Roots & Grooves:Back to Funk (Live)

Nils Landgren Funk Unit - 5000 Miles

Oz Noy - Fuzzy

Robert Walter - Giving up the Ghost -- Just buy any Robert Walter album and you won't be disappointed.

Soulive - Soulive or Breakout (or just about any Soulive album)

Stanton Moore - Stanton Moore III, Flyin' the Koop, and Emphasis! (On Parenthesis)

3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Mingo Fishtrap, I think they're based in Texas.
    Papa Grows Funk, and Big Sam's Funky Nation, both from New Orleans.

4. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Definitely try out
    Poets of Rhythm - Discern/Define
    Antibalas - Security
    Budos Band- Budos Band II
    Karl Hector & The Malcouns- Sahara Swing
    Mulatu Astatke- Ethiopiques Vol. 4
    Menahan Street Band-Make the Road by Walking

These albums and bands are funk with a little bit of African and soul influence
    but all have awesome horn sections and can funk with the best of them

5. Thansk guys. Made a list in my crackberry. I have a habit of going to CD stores and then forgetting the names of cool bands I have been told about. Must be age. :meh:

6. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Dumpstaphunk, has two bass players.

7. Prince has a new album coming out, although it might not be the type of funk that you are looking for, but buy it anyway.

lowsound

8. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    +1, can't believe I forgot them! Both Ivan Neville and his cousin Ian Neville are members. Multiple Nevilles,
    funk is guaranteed! :bassist:

9. Orgone from LA is pretty cool. Great live show too.

10. there are more talented funk players then ever, but everything I've seen referenced in this thread bores me. I guess a lot of what I like about the funk is the classic 70s (or even 80s) feel... and I just don't hear that from today's bands, no matter how great the players themselves are... the parts just don't add up to much - you get a lot of open-ended jams, but rarely a tight funk song.

I would LOVE to be corrected

11. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    And your recommendations are?

12. Larz48

Larz48

Aug 18, 2007
    P.A.
    Hope you watched the jam cruise video too. I was listening to this today and my son says, "WHAT are you listening to?" He said it sounded "wierd". LOL. I just told him I was soaking in some soul. He didn't get it but he's 12 and plays guitar. lol. I would almost trade my bass for the Rhythm guitarists job. Pretty cool!:bassist:

Oh and Dumpstaphunk rocks it too! Like JmJ said.

13. If you can't at least get on board with Lettuce, I worry about you very much. Rage is one of the best albums I have ever heard, and Live in Tokyo makes my entire band want to quit playing because we will never live up to that standard.

14. timkatent

timkatent

Sep 23, 2013
    One more try then, if you miss the 70/80s grooves from groups that specialize in that sound -- brand new, classic, but 100% original writing from the Brothers Lombardo (Bari, Italy) of CAMERA SOUL - "Not For Ordinary People"!
    For serious funk tracks, try "My Heart", "I Don't Like Flowers", "Not For Ordinary People" and "Full of Me" and more. Fantastic bass from Beppe Sequestro, lead vocals from Serena Brancale.

Entire album can be heard and purchased at http://timkatent.bandcamp.com

Best,
    Kathryn

15. spz8

spz8

Jan 19, 2009
    Glen Cove, NY
    I second The Budos Band. I just saw them again on the 20th with Charles Bradley in Brooklyn. Smoldering!

Three of my favorites from Budos II. Sadly, they didn't play any of these :crying:...

Chicago Falcon

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Great topic and great answers! Win win!

17. +1 on the Lettuce.

For some old school groove, try out some Brothers Johnson or Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes.

18. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    Going to check some of these bands out!