1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who do you think has the perfect tone?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by danielfnj96, Aug 4, 2012.

1. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    What bassist/band do you think has the perfect bass tone?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    There's really no perfect tone as it all depends on the context of the band and genre. But personally, I really like Justin Chancellor's tone in Tool. I'm not even a huge Tool fan but I love his tone because it fits the band's style perfectly. It also sits perfectly in the mix. It's never mixed low, it's always clear as day, and when it needs to it can move their songs into certain directions.

3. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ooohhh...that's a toughie lol. It's hard to narrow down on fingerstyle and slap, but for picking I'd call it a tie between Krist Novoselic and Chris Joannou. Chris' tone was dirtier at times, but I think both of their bass tones were very appropriate and punchy :bassist:

EDIT: Ohhh...good one, Jmatt! Yeah Justin has some freakin killer tone when it comes to pickers. 3-way tie now lol

4. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The bassist of War Paint. Her tone is absolutely pleasant.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    A broadside - but I need to go by category to give examples...

Metal - Justin Chancellor, Geezer Butler
    R&B - Duck Dunn, James Jamerson
    Rock - John Paul Jones

And about a thousand others have amazing bass tone - as close to perfect for the music needs as I can imagine at least. :bassist:

6. Benberg

Benberg Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2011
    hard to say perfect.... but I really like Justin Chancellors sound. I also like the bass in Van morrison? (i think thats right)

7. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I think Geddy's tone on Tom Sawyer is one of the finest distorted bass tones I've ever heard. Though his Rickenbacker is also wonderful (perhaps even better) in Exit...Stage Left.

8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    +1 except I am a Tool fan.

9. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Personally just to put it out there for me its a 3 way tie between the bassist from Gatherer, Flea's modulus tone, and Mike Dirnt's G-3 tone. Oh yeah and that slap tone in Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz is really cool.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Coming up my favorite tones were Anthony Jackson on the Chaka Khan CDs, Mark Adams with Slave, Bernard Edwards with any Chic project, Louis Johnson, Marcus Miller, Jaco, Jeff Berlin, the guy with LTD (who recently passed on,) John Wetton, Chris Squire, and Geddy Lee. I also loved Norman Durham with Kleeer, who a master of funk with a pick. Finally, I absolutely loved Larry Graham!

11. Barca_bass

Barca_bass

May 22, 2011
    I always enjoyed Commerford's tone on Evil Empire. I also like Becker's tone (I think he was the bassist on most of the early Steely Dan stuff). +1 on Geddy's Tom Sawyer tone as well. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of other bassists who have an incredible sound.

12. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    All great players - I'm a little embarassed I forgot Bernard Edwards. Superb tone... legendary bass playing! :bassist: ingenious.

13. I think I have the perfect tone, and that's why I use it :p

But seriously, I think this is an impossible question to answer, given many of the statements already given. To me, I think the better question would be 'Who's tone fits their band or style the best?' and for me, the answer would be Rocco Prestia. Everything he does playing wise and tone wise just fits TOP like a glove. Plus, the man can just flat-out play the damn bass!!

14. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    yeah but when you say it like that it sounds kinda awkward and a little dull

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Justin Chancellor and Geddy Lee both have amazing tone as far as I'm concerned.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just heard some great tone in the radio, the old rap hit by Whodini, "Five Minutes of Funk." The bassist was their producer, Larry Smith.

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Within the rock/horn band genre, Peter Cetera with Chicago on the first CTA album. I suggest giving it a listen with some good headphones especially the first tune, Introduction.

18. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Stefan Lessard
    Robert Deleo
    T bone Wolk

19. Alrod

Alrod

Apr 7, 2012
    Depends on the day of the week. As I read your question, Eddie Jacksons (Queensrych), tone from the Empire album popped into my mind. One of the best rock/metal bass tones ever. In my mind anyway.

The Jet City Woman intro makes me smile every time. Very simple bass line, but oh that tone!!! Della Brown, Dag, I gotta go listen to that CD, like right now!

20. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    EMPIRE!!!! :hyper:

Really excited to see what Queensr├┐che does with Todd!